Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #1

Stored for winter!

OK, back from sunny Naples and winterized and back in storage lot. Turned off battery disconnect switches and still had power to coach? Fridge and microwave did not go off until I turned off magnum station. I thought the battery disconnect switch cut all power to coach?

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

No you need to have inverter off as well as cut off switch in battery compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

The Magnum will still have a small draw.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Did you turn off the 3 disconnects in the battery bay or the single switch by the door.

You should use the three in the battery bay since the other has all sorts of phantom draws.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

You should be fine once your inverter is off. It can override the battery disconnect if left on.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #6

If I am not mistaken the inverter is a non issue if you use the disconnects in the battery bay.

These disconnects are immediately downstream of the batteries .... before most if not all draws
Old 01-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
If I am not mistaken the inverter is a non issue if you use the disconnects in the battery bay.

These disconnects are immediately downstream of the batteries .... before most if not all draws

My thoughts also until I found battery tray remains and acid markings in my driveway two years ago. Good, charged batteries do not freeze, and the Magnum inverter control panel is factory wired in my coach (08) to bypass the manual battery disconnects in the battery compartment. The OP already noted that it was necessary to turn off the inverter after the battery disconnects had been turned off. I now leave the coach connected to electric during the winter, battery bay disconnects on, the Magnum being a much better battery tender than the converters that I had on the previous pull-behinds.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Interesting .... I will go to bed less stupid tonight. Guess I have never left inverter on when storing.

Full charge before storing and compartment disconnects is all I have ever.done to get.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

Sorry .... to get me through our cold Alberta winters.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #10

I did not leave inverter on, but I do leave it on charge now. I did think that fully charging the batteries, and then turning off the battery bay disconnects would remove all draws. Going through the threads on this forum showed me that mistake and other useful items.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

I replaced all 6 batteries this spring. I used the coach until July and put it in the garage. I shut down the batteries and returned once in September. It started fine in September. I came back at Christmas to run the systems and found all batteries drained. I assume I let it sit too long. I now have it plugged into 50a all the time with batteries on and charging with the enhanced magnum controller. Since I have never left my unit plugged in full time, are there any negatives to leaving it that way. Some of you say you leave your coaches plugged in with batteries off. Why?

Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter