Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #1

Stuck engine brake valve

Well this is something totally new....

This past Monday we drove about 70 miles from CG to Tyler, TX.... Everything was performing perfectly...

As I drove around the loop in Tyler I stopped at red lite and all was good... stopped at next lite and when lite changed I tried to proceed but had little to no power.... about 5mph tops....

Limped into a large Valero station and contacted Freightliner help line.. not much help there.... then called Tyler Freightliner Service center and had them read code.... said it appeared to be turbo overheating and suggested I bring it in....

Service center was 14 miles away so no way I could drive it there.... CoachNet RA to the rescue.... Massive wrecker showed up Tuesday AM and got us to Freightliner....

Yesterday, the problem was traced to an engine brake valve locked closed thus not allowing engine to power up... once valve was forced open full power was restored....

Ordered new valve BUT won’t be here until Monday AM so looks like we are in motel room 3 more nites....

AIN’T LIFE GRAND!!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

Do you use the engine brake often? Looking for a reason for failure.
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

I do.....

Always in the mountains and usually in heavy traffic.... not so much wear/tear on my brakes ....

Gotta also remember that my coach is 12 years old (2008) so I imagine it’s got lots of “miles” on it....
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #4

I'm like Ernest and use my engine brake a lot.

I've found it to be reliable, but this does bring up some concern. For example, I will use it when there is light rain, which is not recommended by Freightliner, because I lose the anti-lock braking feature of the air brakes. I'll have to rethink my strategy on that.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #5

Gordonsick.....

I use my as much as I can to save my brake pads..... Been using it this way for the 9 yrs I’ve owned the coach so if it now need a new valve - so be it....

I’m so thankful it decided to give out AFTER I’d made it to town and not out on the 70+ miles of two-lane back-country roads I used getting to town....

That would have REALLY made for a major problem for me.....
Old 10-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Ernest,
You’ve got a 2008 Berkshire, so it might not have the same ISB6.7 Cummins engine that I have. From Cummins description of the engine brake on my engine, it works by changing the geometry of the turbines, which would be a pretty complex procedure, as I imagine it is done by a scrolling plate that pushes the turbine chamber in and out. It does provide a variable braking effect.

So, I’m wondering whether my engine brake would completely shut down my engine or just kill my turbo boost. I’d be able to limp home without my turbo boost.

It sounds like your engine brake has a valve that opens and closes, and that might be on the air intake. I can see how that would really shut you down if it stayed closed.

I hope that some engine expert is reading this thread and will fill us in on more details.

—Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #7

Gordonsick....

Actually I have a Mercedes turbo engine (which I LOVE) and you are correct - zero turbo and slowed to an absolute crawl....

Hopefully we will get our coach back today - had to order two parts and only one came in yesterday (sounds about right doesn’t it) and fingers crossed that other comes in today....

Seven nites in motel with two dogs and wife - we are truly ready to get our coach back!!!!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #8

YEA!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY back in our coach and I expect to sleep sooo much better in my own bed!!!!!

Ended up replacing the engine brake valve which was stuck closed!!!!

Of course the part had to be ordered so that took additional time but eventually “got er done....”

Isn’t it amazing how you miss ur rig when ur not in it!!!!
Old 10-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #9

glad to hear your back on the road. You made me call Coach net for a quote. I know it has saved you some money over the last few years

Tags
valve