Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Stuck in Boise

This sure has been an interesting maiden voyage. The Direct tv sat dish was installed Tues. It took them several hours as they couldn't understand why they had to send power to an already powered device.(Don't ask, I don't have a clue.) It was 104 and we did the install on a blacktop parking lot. The generator works well as does the RF Mogul dish. Faster acquisition and lighter weight than it's competitors. We pulled into The Boise KOA so we could be close to our son who resides here.

I picked up the Wrangler Wed am and got it to the hitch shop. I picked it up that evening and noticed a strong chemical odor. I literally had to pull over and air out the interior. The hitch installer said they didn't use any adhesives or other chemical but the Jeep didn't bother me when the salesman picked me up and while I searched all over Boise for the installers shop. The coach went in Thurs Am to cut into the air line for the SMS brake controller. Very clean install all the way around. Our Wrangler Sport did not require a height adjustment from the hitch to the Jeep. Odor seems to be getting better daily.

Temps were in the 100's and I really needed a shower. The @#$%^&* Tankless water heater refused to deliver hot water. After a couple of days it just started working. I suspect it took us that long to purge all the air from the water lines. We hung around Boise for a day or two longer than I wanted to but our grandchildren wanted to spend some time with their cousins and my wife sure loves our first born.

I had just begun to make plans for tomorrow when my 120 lb wife walked out the door and almost killed herself when she placed her weight on the step and it fell downward. Hmm, a chance to use some of the tools I insisted upon bringing along. After spending an hour on my back trying to figure out how the damn thing worked I decide to just remove it. The shoulder bolt which holds the gear mechanism in place had sheared where the threads begin. It looks as if it was over tightened at the factory. I checked it out on line. A $6.00 part. I doubt I can find one on Sunday so we're stuck here at least until Monday. Some one on another forum found one at an industrial supply store.

Warranty? There is a local Forest River Dealer here with a Berkshire in stock. I wonder what the chances are of getting his step. Camping world or whatever it's called may have a step. Retail is around $500. Would Forest River reimburse me? I tried calling the step manufacturers 1=800 number to no avail. I'll call Forest River this evening but don't expect much
on the weekend. Stay tuned!
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #2

Sounds interesting, well at least it's nothing major. I have read that FR will reimburse you for monies spent out of pocket to fix a warrantied item.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Glad your wife didn't get badly hurt. Tumbling off RV steps is nothing to brush off lightly. DO a search. There have been several threads regarding the step bolts shearing off. Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. I hope the rest of your voyage goes MUCH smoother and uneventful.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
... I have read that FR will reimburse you for monies spent out of pocket to fix a warrantied item...

Be careful though, I've also read on this forum that you'll get some major run around if you don't contact them first and get approval for an out of pocket fix.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

What does the bolt look like?
I know of several places that are open today that might have one.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
What does the bolt look like?
I know of several places that are open today that might have one.
I don't know how to post a photo but I do know how to post a link.

Electric Step Shoulder Bolt (Model 7145-128969) :: Electric RV Steps :: Stromberg Carlson
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
I don't know how to post a photo but I do know how to post a link.

Electric Step Shoulder Bolt (Model 7145-128969) :: Electric RV Steps :: Stromberg Carlson
Close enough for me.
I am on my way to town and will post back when I have one.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

We had a bolt shear off on our front steps during our last trip out.... I had my zip lock bag of bolts and nuts and at 10pm made a quick fix for the reminder of the trip and put the right kind of bolt in place once we got home. I know it's not the same as the electric steps, just interesting that I keep seeing this as an issue on new trailers.....
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

Seeg,
Hope you can get a bolt and be on your way. I think that if you repair a warranty item that FR will reimburse you. I would send Randy Houser an email explaining the situation. He is great to deal with and will be sure you are taken care of. And, as rattlensmoke says, sounds like a law suit waiting to happen.
Hope the rest of your trip goes well and that you don't have any major problems.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Close enough for me.
I am on my way to town and will post back when I have one.
Above and beyond, From reading dozens of other posts and looking at my step it appears the bolt may have been welded on. Heading for a hardware store for easy outs and some decent drill bits. One person drilled the threads completely out and I assume used a somewhat longer bolt which he nylocked in place.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Seeg,
Hope you can get a bolt and be on your way. I think that if you repair a warranty item that FR will reimburse you. I would send Randy Houser an email explaining the situation. He is great to deal with and will be sure you are taken care of. And, as rattlensmoke says, sounds like a law suit waiting to happen.
Hope the rest of your trip goes well and that you don't have any major problems.
Tom
Would you happen to know Randy email address and phone number. I tried calling FR but I couldn't even leave a message.

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Dan,
Randy's email address is - rhouser@forestriverinc.com and his phone number is -
574-522-1583.
Better to email him than phone him but I would do both.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #13

Tom

Thanks, appreciate the quick response.

Dan
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Above and beyond, From reading dozens of other posts and looking at my step it appears the bolt may have been welded on. Heading for a hardware store for easy outs and some decent drill bits. One person drilled the threads completely out and I assume used a somewhat longer bolt which he nylocked in place.
Perhaps not, two places I went did not have any that short and KW was out of stock.

A suggestion was offered to use a short piece of SS pipe with a standard bolt and nylon locking nut with a washer.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #15

Update, I emailed Randy as suggested and he got back to me ASAP advising he had forwarded our email to Lippert Components the stair manufacturer and to let him know if, at the end of the day if we didn't hear from them. We didn't but in the meantime I found the shoulder bolt at a Fastenal store for $3.00. I emailed Randy back after my wife refused to help me install the new bolt. The first thing the next morning we heard from Lippert.

They overnighted the 53 lb step to our address in Boise. It showed up Wed morning along with a tech to install it. I really can't complain about the attention that both Lippert and FR gave to the matter. The new step is an exact replacement but I have to admit it sounds much better (no clunk) than the old step. We'll see how long it holds up.

Dan
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Awesome news Dan. I love it when a company steps up to the plate and knocks it out the park.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Awesome news Dan. I love it when a company steps up to the plate and knocks it out the park.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Somebody SHOULD step up to the plate. That particular step unit is junk, IMHO.

Haven't had the bolt breaking happen to me yet, but had to replace the motor AND the electronic control module, before I did the steps retracted without a bad case of "hiccups".

And it still has a delay in it if I cycle it (up to down and vice-versa) to quickly. For example, open the door, step goes down, close the door, step waits about 5-10 seconds before retracting.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

My step was making a lot of noise and a clunk when retracting. I lubricated all of the pivot points and the gear that rotates to retract/extend the step and it makes no noise at all now. Much quieter!!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #19

I need to do that also as mine makes a bunch of noise.
WHat kind of lube did you use?
All I have with me is silicon.

Mine has also been delaying for a few seconds before retracting sometimes.
I think OC said his had done that for a while and never found a solution.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
Berkshire 390QS

Do my step joints once a month with silicon haven't had any problems. Also leave the step switch in the off position when camped so it only goes up when with engine running. Less wear and tear on steps.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote