Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Summer plans

Well, it's now official......

We are going to hit the road for the entire month of July...

We're going to Rocky Mt. NP, Mt. Rushmore. Yellowstone, Tetons, and all over Colorado.... All in all, about 4K miles....

Going to really put our rig through its paces and will give that ref/freezer I installed a real test as well....,

Hope to possibly see some of you guys out there.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #2

Enjoy your trip. I work in Colorado, it's a beautiful state. Wyoming also. We plan on visiting the Black Hills soon. Post up about your trip along the way, I'd like some info on your trip through S. Dakota.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Will do - this will be our 6th trip to Yellowstone... Taking our 16 & 13 year old grandsons with us... We took their dad there many years ago when he was their age....

We plan on bring at Mt. Rushmore the 3-4 of July. Want to be there for July 4th celebration. Also plan on going to Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Devils Tower, etc. and a few other POI in Black Hills...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

2 mini vacations and a biggy so far this season. On the big one it's gonna be a Rock Star tour of 10 campgrounds in 30 days. Wooohoo!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Wow.... Now that's a lot of hook-ups and unhook-ups.....
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

NW tour this summer, MT, ID, WA, OR planning on 3+ months.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Heading to the good Sam rally in Syracuse, NY in June and a 3 week trip to Sedalia, Mo in July.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
We just got back from 7 days in Yosemite and in the Redwoods of Santa Cruz. Had a great time. Heading to Sequoia National Park next week for 4 days. This summer are planning to Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon. Going to do 3 weeks in late July to the first part of August. Booking it now. Anyone got any cool ideas for a spot to stay in Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore or the Grand canyon?
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #9

We plan on staying at Mt. Rushmore KOA July 3 & 4 (want to be there for special 4th celebration); we will then spend July 6 - 10 at Yellowstone Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone; then 2 nights in the park at Bay Bridge CG (really tough to get spots within park with a larger MH & toad but did manage to get these - will boondock there which will be fun for my two grandsons); will then go to Tetons and stay 2 nights at Flagg Ranch (full hookups) followed by 2 nights at Colter Bay Village CG (full hookups); then one night at Gros Ventre CG (another boondock night) just outside of Jackson Hole....

From there we head for CO for a couple of weeks...

Have it all scheduled out with reservations confirmed.....
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #10

Left Benson, AZ yesterday AM. Arrived Durango, CO at 1:00 PM today for a one week stay. Not sure where after that, but will just "bum" the country until Oct, then it's pack to AZ for the winter.

Unfortunately, I MUST go to Elkhart for weight upgrades. Hard to get me east of the Rocky Mountains under normal circumstances. After the upgrades I will come back West at a high rate of speed!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

Boo....

Well heck.... I think your a "bum" for getting to be out that long... lol... (My jealously didn't show through there did it???)
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Last year we stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park in Williams, AZ. Took the train up to the South rim. It is a complete day trip 9 thru 5, they supplied the tour and had lunch ready for us. No driving required, sat back and relaxed. Took another day and went to Sedona, AZ, just South of Williams. Suggest you ride the dome car up and the parlor car on the way back. The RV park is very clean.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Boo....

Well heck.... I think your a "bum" for getting to be out that long... lol... (My jealously didn't show through there did it???)

It's the ONLY benefit of becoming an "old fart". I toyed with the idea of changing my signature block to add "number of nights camped 2013 - every one of them".

Boowho??
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #14

You might be an "old fart " as you say but you're still a bum... At least until I have the same job you have - retired!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
We just got back from 7 days in Yosemite and in the Redwoods of Santa Cruz. Had a great time. Heading to Sequoia National Park next week for 4 days. This summer are planning to Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon. Going to do 3 weeks in late July to the first part of August. Booking it now. Anyone got any cool ideas for a spot to stay in Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore or the Grand canyon?
For Yellowstone check out grizzly rv park. It is in west Yellowstone Montana. It is one of the nicer campgrounds we have stayed at. Easy entrance in the west gate of Yellowstone. And the small town is great to visit after a day in the park. For Rushmore look at the koa there. It is right down the road from Rushmore np. If you have kids they will love the koa. But it is a good spot to base for Rushmore, Custer and crazy horse.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post

For Yellowstone check out grizzly rv park. It is in west Yellowstone Montana. It is one of the nicer campgrounds we have stayed at. Easy entrance in the west gate of Yellowstone. And the small town is great to visit after a day in the park. For Rushmore look at the koa there. It is right down the road from Rushmore np. If you have kids they will love the koa. But it is a good spot to base for Rushmore, Custer and crazy horse.
We have reservations for Grizzley in August.

Can't wait !
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post

We have reservations for Grizzley in August.

Can't wait !
It's a beautiful area. We drove in from i90 thru Bozeman to west Yellowstone. It was great. If you are able to stop in bozeman on the way it's worth a few hours. . It's a great town also. The drive thru the galliton valley is quite nice. You will enjoy grizzly rv. Enjoy your time there.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Great tips.... OK... so looking for some advice on planning our 2 to 3 week family RV trip. Going from late July through Mid August. We are based in Southern California.... So... so far, we are going to Northwest to Bryce Canyon and thinking about staying at Ruby's Inn - Closest Lodging to Bryce Canyon National Park. Then go north to take in Yellowstone and are going to take your advice and stay at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins. Then over to Mount Rushmore to and stay at the KOA there. That is where we are stuck in the plan. Any thoughts on somewhere in Colorado, New Mexico or Arizona we should stay or go and see? How about anything along are route that we should go see while on the trip? We have a family of 5... 3 kids (4,6 & 8) so looking for places that the family will enjoy. Any thoughts on places to stay?
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Great tips.... OK... so looking for some advice on planning our 2 to 3 week family RV trip. Going from late July through Mid August. We are based in Southern California.... So... so far, we are going to Northwest to Bryce Canyon and thinking about staying at Ruby's Inn - Closest Lodging to Bryce Canyon National Park. Then go north to take in Yellowstone and are going to take your advice and stay at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins. Then over to Mount Rushmore to and stay at the KOA there. That is where we are stuck in the plan. Any thoughts on somewhere in Colorado, New Mexico or Arizona we should stay or go and see? How about anything along are route that we should go see while on the trip? We have a family of 5... 3 kids (4,6 & 8) so looking for places that the family will enjoy. Any thoughts on places to stay?
While in the Bryce area, check Zion NP too. Beautiful scenery.

After Mt Rushmore, coming back down through Colorado on I-25 and then west on I-70 you would see a lot of neat things. I'm currently in SW Colorado (Durango) and this is a very popular tourist destination; a steam narrow gauge train runs between Durango and Silverton, CO.

Oh yeah, the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs is another highly visited attraction.

Not so sure of how your lil' folk might enjoy. Most of the things I mentioned probably won't do much for them. I can't remember what it's like to travel with "little ones" as my youngest is now 42.

But just outside Canon City, CO (near Royal Gorge) was a tourist trap with go carts and other "stuff" like that for kids. The sign out front advised kids to "scream 'til daddy stops"

Boowho??
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
This is funny. We will be in Bryce next week. I have a convention to be at in Anaheim so we decided to drive out there and visit Bryce and Zion On the way. After spending a few days in Anaheim we are going to sequoia and Yosemite parks. Then off to black canyon in gunnison colorado then colorado springs before heading home. We are staying at the Bryce Canyon pines. After our stay there I can let you know our thoughts.