Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdrmin View Post
Sorry I might be a little late replying. Had CW install 50A Surge Guard protector for peace of mind. Here's the link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/69523.
That unit is made overseas and has a 1 year warranty. Progressive Industries units are "Made In USA" and have a lifetime warranty. (They also have a great reputation for customer service.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Looks like they don't make the "solo" breakers any more (those slots are lost).

They are now integrated with 20 amp branch circuits so you won't lose the slot circuit.

Murray 20 Amp 6.5 in. Whole House Surge Protected Circuit Breaker-MSA2020SPDP at The Home Depot

Siemens QSA2020SPD Whole House Surge Protection with Two 20-Amp Circuit Breakers for Use Only on Siemens Panels - Amazon.com

You of course will need to find the one that fits your panel.

Found this while searching for the panel mounted one.

Leviton 50240-MSA 120/240 Volt 200 Amp, Secondary Surge Arrestor, Surge Protective Device 4 Jaw Socket Meter Socket - Amazon.com

Here is another option that uses an existing 220 volt breaker in the first slot (upper left usually) to add whole house protection.

http://www.amazon.com/WHOLE-LIGHTNIN...d_sim_sbs_hi_7
Thanks, Herk. I've seen those in Home Depot and Lowes but never paid much attention to them.

I noticed my electric coop here offers something called GenerLink that works as a surge protector and also as a way to connect your portable generator to the house without the need to wire up a transfer switch.

I'm seriously considering investing in this as I live in hurricane territory and my job does not afford me the opportunity to leave during a storm. After the last storm where my wife evacuated while I stayed back, she indicated a lack of desire to leave next time unless it was a significant storm. This would give her an opportunity to stay home and connect power safely when the storm passes while I'm at work.

Here's a link to GenerLink. http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
That is pretty cool.

I assume there is a monthly fee for a device you may never use
Need to look into buying one.

When I am home, I have a checklist (you knew that was coming right) for using my generator to power the house without risking frying a technician working on the power poles in the neighborhood. DW never wanted to tackle it, so in the "bad old days" she went to whichever relative had power.

Basically, I have a 220 socket that my generator plugs into via a special 100 foot cable I made up just for the purpose. I trip the main coming into the house; trip all the breakers that are not critical and plug in the generator and start it up.

The downside to my method (and the generlink if I read it correctly) is that when the power comes on in the neighborhood you won't know. My generator ran all night when the power came on just 15 minutes after I went to bed.

Neighbors were not happy since my 6500 watt generator sounds like a 747 when running.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #44

They do seem like a neat concept. With my electric coop. it is just a 1 time charge of $800...they even provide about 20' of cord.

I've thought about wiring up an outlet like you, but have been a little hesitant to do so. You hear about the utility worrying about back feeding the line and injuring someone...but that doesn't make much sense to me. It appears that your generator would trip out or be damaged if you tried to energize a dead line that had all your neighbors load still attached.