Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

surge protection?

Does anyone know if the Berkshire has any built in surge protection? A local mobile rv tech who does some work on my coach asked me to look into it after telling me about another coach of a different brand he was called out to blew some appliances which was apparantly just caused by the rv owner wiggling the power cord into a shore power box. Sure it was probably a problem with the power supply but got me thinking whether we have any built in protection for this?
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Not unless you had one installed.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Thanks. Do many bother to do that?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Thanks. Do many bother to do that?
If you value your electronic items in your coach yes!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

what happened to legal responsibility of the campground? you paid for power and they are responsible for that power.

same thing at home. you can file a claim for appliances that were damaged by a surge from your utility company. many just don't bother to do it and also do not have proof. yet, we don't run surge protectors on the appliances at the house or have a whole house surge protector right?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
what happened to legal responsibility of the campground? you paid for power and they are responsible for that power.

same thing at home. you can file a claim for appliances that were damaged by a surge from your utility company. many just don't bother to do it and also do not have proof. yet, we don't run surge protectors on the appliances at the house or have a whole house surge protector right?
When you pay at any cg where does it state that they are liable for surges and or bad connections ?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
When you pay at any cg where does it state that they are liable for surges and or bad connections ?
same as at home right? when you pay for utilities at home is there a clause in your service contract that limits them liability from surges or bad connections to the service panel?

all utilities are highly regulated by fed and state. you are responsible for everything inside of the home (house or rv). utility is responsible for everything up to the service panel (main panel or the service pedestal).

you don't boil and purify the water from the campground before you drink it do you? you can drink straight from the tap as it's regulated to give you fresh potable water. may not be the best tasting nor free of excess minerals, but it is potable.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

I installed a Progressive hardwired unit in my rig.... I figured $300 bucks was a cheap investment to protect $1,000 of dollars worth of stuff...

Had a buddy that didn't have one and a lightning strike in the CG ended up costing him over $10,000 worth of stuff....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #9

We always use one. You just never know so why take a chance. Worth the investment.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
same as at home right? when you pay for utilities at home is there a clause in your service contract that limits them liability from surges or bad connections to the service panel?

all utilities are highly regulated by fed and state. you are responsible for everything inside of the home (house or rv). utility is responsible for everything up to the service panel (main panel or the service pedestal).

you don't boil and purify the water from the campground before you drink it do you? you can drink straight from the tap as it's regulated to give you fresh potable water. may not be the best tasting nor free of excess minerals, but it is potable.
Good luck with that. Every campground I have stayed at that had bad power just offered me a different site and (oh, no refunds).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1070.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	31167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	31168  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Next time you register and sign in read the fine print. You know, that paragraph of really fine print where it states 'you release the campground, it's officers and employees of all liability for loss or damage ...'
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post

Next time you register and sign in read the fine print. You know, that paragraph of really fine print where it states 'you release the campground, it's officers and employees of all liability for loss or damage ...'
Exactly !
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I installed a Progressive hardwired unit in my rig.... I figured $300 bucks was a cheap investment to protect $1,000 of dollars worth of stuff...

Had a buddy that didn't have one and a lightning strike in the CG ended up costing him over $10,000 worth of stuff....
This is the kind of thing I was asking about. I do have more faith in the power at home but have to wonder about what some campgrounds do to get it to their sites and the lightning strike is another good example. Curious how many out there have installed a hardwired surge protector unit such as ernests Progressive unit? Any other recommendations? I think $300 might not be a bad investment. Although isnt Progressive the company that had all the recalls on our coach power converters? Or maybe they were who FR switched to after all of that. Anyway I may look into one and I know my mobile rv service guy is going to recommend one next time he visits. I just wanted to make sure he wasnt suggesting an unnecessary upsell.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a progressive industries hardwired unit.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

I'll look into getting one. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Good luck with that. Every campground I have stayed at that had bad power just offered me a different site and (oh, no refunds).
Hay, Herk7769 it looks like you may owe the campground in the 2nd pic some more money for the extra volts you got.
I installed the Progressive #EMS-HW50C. It has the remote display that scrolls volts and amps for each leg and hertz and error code. I sleep better knowing I did something to try and protect DW's Sanibel 3600from low/high voltage and lightning strikes.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I have a "Temporarily Permanent" installation of my Portable Franks Electronics Autotransformer. It used to live under my camper; but now it has a more secure home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1370.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	31174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1372.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	31176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	31177  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #18

That's the exact same unit I have.... I feel I've protected my rig from CG's that are "out to get me ".... lol.. Mine has already done its job three times that I know of.... It's the older CG, numerous state parks, and even some national park CG's that cause the most concern....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #19

If you do not have surge protection on your home stuff - shame on you. Some things will get splatted or hurt at home and power co is not directly liable for it. They will provide you power, oh - in the range of 104-130 vac. It will probably be ok, for awhile but the crummy supply will take its to on electronics and motor windings, you get the idea. Just pony up for the protection and sleep better for it. Both at home and RV.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Owner/Operator

I do have a surge protector on my whole (stick built) house at the power entry panel. The person that built the home went first class on everything. When he moved, he contacted the manufacturer about moving the protector. They told him to leave it, and they would send him a new one for his new home.

It is a 14"X14" box at the Power Entry Panel, with two green lights to indicate that the two incoming legs are good to go. I hope they never turn red. LOL

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote