RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Last year while in Nashville it was very hot and humid with a full park!
I was on 30 amp and down to 102 volts, had I not had my ems id have never known and quite possibly burnt the a/c up.
Turbs... what EMS do you use/suggest? Hardwired or portable?
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I just hardwired a 50A unit in mine. I love the remote readout. I also just put in 50A service at the house and it was really interesting to see the difference in voltage drop from just one extension cord on the previous setup. I lost 9V from that cord alone on the same load. I'm much less concerned about our (seemingly) weekly power fluctuations now. Good investment considering the control board on a refrigerator is over half the cost of the EMS.
So do you get the remote readout on your phone? I'm too lazy to Google right now and this beer has my hand occupied
Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Turbs... what EMS do you use/suggest? Hardwired or portable?

Hardwired all the way!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
So do you get the remote readout on your phone? I'm too lazy to Google right now and this beer has my hand occupied

No it's a remote monitor with about a 15' cord so you can mount it about anywhere inside the camper

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Hardwired all the way!!!!
Thanks for the confirmation Turbs!!! Makes the most sense to me. Guess what I'll be doing next weekend instead of fishing in the Gila? And it's all your fault. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation Turbs!!! Makes the most sense to me. Guess what I'll be doing next weekend instead of fishing in the Gila? And it's all your fault. Thanks again for the advice!
You will be glad you got one. Alot of members have put plug ends on the hardwire unit, so they can take it out easier if they sell there trailer. I put the plug in readout above my thermostat, the read out will come with about 15' of like phone wire that you just plug in. Make sure to save the error codes, there is like 10 of them, I taped that to the inside of my cabinet door....Well worth the money...

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #27

After reading some of the horror stories about RV'ers coming across shore power issues, I decided on purchasing one for your new Sunseeker. Being that I am a retired construction electrician, I could have found the place, purchased the necessary wiring components and installed a permanent surge protector. Instead I opted for a portable unit because it is plug and play.
Only needing a 30 amp 120 volt surge protector, I decided on the Camco 55301 30 AMP Power Defender Voltage Protector with PowerGrip Handles. They also make this unit in a 50 amp version and the specs are quite good. Amazon prime current price is 263.47, but I am sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

here is a link to the etrailer.com review on it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZxoKWVsSbFbzNA

Here is a link to this item on Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55306-D.../dp/B00JFWKM0C

BTW when ordered it, I figured it was 18" long and maybe 3" wide. Well it's big. More like 30" long and 6" wide.

Some will argue that this can be stolen while a permanent installation can't.

Others have provided solutions to that question, lock it up.

I had a nice nylon encased 1/4" x 6' braided steel bicycle cable with a good master lock laying around. The cable is long enough to be wrapped around the shore power pole and the lock big enough to be locked to the electrical cord on the surge protector.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I'll take the hit ! Lol
Happy camping!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #29
Camp Bartender

I just bought a TRC Surge Guard for my camper. It offers me peace of mind. Ill be using it for the first time when my wife and I head out to Harpers Ferry next week for 5 nights.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #30

I use a Progressive Industries SSP-50 amp smart surge protector I got from e-bay for under $150.
Towing a 2014 Ford Fiesta SE
moontrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #31

[QUOTE=TURBS;1244204]Last year while in Nashville it was very hot and humid with a full park!
I was on 30 amp and down to 102 volts, had I not had my ems id have never known and quite possibly burnt the a/c up.

That's what happened to me recently in CA, except my 30 Amp Progressive kept tripping the whole system on and off due to low voltage. Had to roll over to bypass until the power demand subsided. Then went back to the protector after the proper voltage returned.
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #32

Quote:
I would love one!!! Just can't get my head around $430!!! Haven't had one through 5 RVs.... hopefully my luck will hold out
One bad pedestal or a brownout while your A/C is on and that will be a $1,200 repair job.

Friend of mine had a surge at her camp - it took out her residential refer - $2,000 repair job.

The Progressive is just a physical insurance policy

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Now...if you want to get REALLY Paranoid, you should also invest in a Hughes Autoformer

https://hughesautoformers.com/
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #33

[QUOTE=Wheels Down;1244588]
Quote:

That's what happened to me recently in CA, except my 30 Amp Progressive kept tripping the whole system on and off due to low voltage. Had to roll over to bypass until the power demand subsided. Then went back to the protector after the proper voltage returned.
I don't get the "Bypass your Low voltage Protection" why even have "Protection" if you are "NOT USE IT" when there is a know Problem? Sounds like Members need to Have and Use Generators at the "Low Power Campgrounds" if they also want to use their EMS systems as designed! Youroo!!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[QUOTE=Wheels Down;1244588]
Quote:

I just dog boned up to the 50 amp circuit and was back up to 112v

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Staying here in Albuquerque, and pedestal had an open ground in the 50amp outlet. Informed the office and they came out and repaired. Said they would have never known of the problem if it wasn't for my EMS indicating there was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Staying here in Albuquerque, and pedestal had an open ground in the 50amp outlet. Informed the office and they came out and repaired. Said they would have never known of the problem if it wasn't for my EMS indicating there was a problem.

Hey Tim!

How's the weather in NM? Are you out there on vacation?

If you have time ride the Sandia Tram - fabulous views and it is a little cooler at the Summit
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #37

Campground outside Savanna,Ga. I checked 4 sites with our 5.00$ tester before i found one that didn't show "Open Ground"! Told the C/G they said OK we will fix those use the Site that is OK! Later a High$$$ unit pulled on one of the "Bad Sites" next to us,I said they were wired wrong and he said I don't care I have a "EMS System in My Coach"! They leveled,deployed all the slides,put out the awning and sunscreens,THEN plugged in the 50A cord,waited for the EMS to go through its Test,about 3Min. when his Wife says "Hey We Have NO Power"! I sat and had a Drink while they "Relocated" to another Site! Youroo!!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hey Tim!

How's the weather in NM? Are you out there on vacation?

If you have time ride the Sandia Tram - fabulous views and it is a little cooler at the Summit

It's warm, but not as hot as Wyoming or Moab. We did the tram last night and had dinner at the top. Was a good time. This campground has been the only one on our journey that we had any problem with, and that was fixed quickly!

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
One bad pedestal or a brownout while your A/C is on and that will be a $1,200 repair job.

Friend of mine had a surge at her camp - it took out her residential refer - $2,000 repair job.

The Progressive is just a physical insurance policy

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Now...if you want to get REALLY Paranoid, you should also invest in a Hughes Autoformer

https://hughesautoformers.com/

I am one of those paranoid people, Bob. I LOVE the autoformer! Wired it up into the power bay. We don't ever dry camp, so I want to be able to take advantage of shore power when available.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #40

I have the Progressive ems50 (I believe that's the correct model number) and it has saved me a number of times. Last year were in a campground near Key West and it kept shutting down the power to my coach. Seems that the campground was having low power issues. I cost one camper his AC because his start solenoid burned out.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote