Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Surge Protector... booster... or both?

Does anyone use a EMS from Progressive Industries or a Hughes Autoformer Booster or both? Thoughts, if both and can only do one at a time, which one first?

Thanks all!
nathantoensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

I do not use either one but I will suggest you get the surge protector first.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Does anyone use a EMS from Progressive Industries or a Hughes Autoformer Booster or both? Thoughts, if both and can only do one at a time, which one first?

Thanks all!
Have the Progressive EMS unit..... IMHO, one of the best out there....

Does more than just surge protection; analyzes the incoming shore power for under/over voltage, open neutral (extremely important) and other items before energizing the coach. Takes about 10-15 seconds when you first plugin to actually energize the coach.

FWIW, I do not have the Hughes device. I've never plugged in where the Progressive unit indicated a low voltage; so I don't see that the Autoformer would help me at all.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

I have the Progressive EMS and it has saved us several times. Paid for itself several times.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

What type of surge protector do people suggest
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Progressive Industries for me. Once we moved to another site because of an open neutral, twice the power to the RV was cut off because of surges in line voltage. Mine is paid for.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Progressive Industries for me. Once we moved to another site because of an open neutral, twice the power to the RV was cut off because of surges in line voltage. Mine is paid for.
Travel safe
Yes, and for those who might be "electrically challenged" an open neutral brings 240V right into your coach and burns up EVERYTHING. The Progressive unit will even cut power before any damage can happen, should the neutral become open AFTER you've been plugged in for awhile.

Other units may be just as sophisticated, but I don't if any are. You will pay around $350 for this level of protection, though.

A lot of folks don't know this, but 50A service is actually 100A service if using only 120 volts. 50A's come in on each of the two "hots" giving 100A for both sides of the circuit. So, it's been explained to me anyway.....

Boowho??
Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Thanks all. BooHoo, I think both are imperative with these coaches. Seems to me we NEED the surge protection but we also NEED the voltage regulation of the Autoformers. If voltage drops due to hot days, ie. the park fluctuating as people plug in and unplug.... The A/C's, microwave, fridge, computers, etc... can burn out. There's some overlap between the devices; but, with both everything is covered! Cheap insurance even with warranties as your time in repair shop is worth something!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 08-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

When IT happens......not if! You will pay more than $350 without it. Like I said, I feel mine is paid for.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Thanks all. BooHoo, I think both are imperative with these coaches. Seems to me we NEED the surge protection but we also NEED the voltage regulation of the Autoformers. If voltage drops due to hot days, ie. the park fluctuating as people plug in and unplug.... The A/C's, microwave, fridge, computers, etc... can burn out. There's some overlap between the devices; but, with both everything is covered! Cheap insurance even with warranties as your time in repair shop is worth something!

--Nathan
2016 38a
The Progressive EMS protects against those issues. mine has saved my bacon numerous times.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I have the Progressive EMS and it has saved us several times. Paid for itself several times.
X2!! Saved me a number of times!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
The Progressive EMS protects against those issues. mine has saved my bacon numerous times.
That is the point I was trying to make.... My EMS will shut down INSTANTLY in the case of over voltage, under voltage and a host of other potentially damaging conditions.

Will anything be able to operate while whatever condition exists? NO. Will it with the Autoformer? I don't know. But I've NEVER had my EMS shut down for an extended length of time.

In fact, now that I think about it, I've NEVER plugged in at any park, where after the 15 second "diagnostic" mode, the relay didn't snap closed and energize the whole coach.

The EMS can even be optioned so it was not cycle in/out rapidly as some fridge's and other items can be damaged that way. I think I've got mine set to shut down for AT LEAST 15 seconds, no matter how short the problem "event" may be.

There is a small readout in the convenience panel that lists (via error code) the nature if any problem that occurs.

Boowho??
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #13

I could have used a booster a couple of times in 175 campgrounds due to low voltage. Had to unplug the EMS to get power to the trailer and didn't run the A/C. Herk is the only member here that I know of that uses an autoformer.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

Progressive EMS is hardwired in our coach. Well worth the money, saved our wallet a few times, in fact just tonight there was a power surge in the CG where we are.

Get the Progressive.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #15

I am confused. What is the difference between the transfer switch on our Berks and a surge protector.

After reading documentation on transfer switch is look as though it does an analysis of power before putting it thru to the house. How does this differ from a built in surge protector as discussed above.

Are both devices required?
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #16

We have a power monitor system in our coach. When we got with the engineers at Coachmen, they told us it will asses and monitor, but will not shut down the input to the coach. This was a year ago, I would guess the systems in the Berkshire are similar. It's my understanding all a transfer switch does is transfer power from gen set to shore power and vice versa.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #17

I've had the Progressive EMS for several years and it tells me if there is a line problem BEFORE I plug in.
Just replaced my Auto Transfer Switch [$310] with a mechanical transfer switch [$40 with 50 amp breaker]. Got tired of fooling around with the "auto" switch which has never worked right.
No all I have to do is remember which way it is set before turning on the inverter or shore power. I hung a red flag on the inverter switch to help me remember. I'm getting old and memory sucks!
Anyway, never heard anyone having trouble with the EMS unit. Sorry about the rambling.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I am confused. What is the difference between the transfer switch on our Berks and a surge protector.

After reading documentation on transfer switch is look as though it does an analysis of power before putting it thru to the house. How does this differ from a built in surge protector as discussed above.

Are both devices required?
I was unaware that the transfer switch was that sophisticated. Maybe they are on newer coaches (mine is 2011). I don't think mine is that "smart".

But if yours is that intelligent then maybe you don't need an EMS unit.

Again, the EMS continually "watches" for any abnormality and shuts the power down instantly before any damage can be done. Kinda like a GFI device.

Just my $.02 worth..... YMMV.

boowho??
Old 08-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #19

Agree with Boowho. The transfer switch does not analyze voltage or current amount. It is a traffic cop and determines which AC power the cabin gets, depending upon whether the generator is running or plugged into shore power.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

Another vote for the Progressive EMS. Ours has saved us from low voltage several times, a couple of open grounds, and a missing neutral. It is also a surge protector, but you don't know when its MOVs absorb a surge as their is no indication. I suspect it absorbs surges fairly regularly. The Progressive EMS is by far the best product of its kind available.