Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Exclamation Take note of your automated sun shade

As an FYI check your automated sun shade for alignment. While driving on I-270 in St. Louis during rush hour without warning the sun shade released and extended the full length of windshield. Fortunately if was the sun shade and not the night shade! I could at least see through the sun shade. It appears the gear slipped but I won't know for sure until I get it back from the shop. To be safe, I wrapped both the sun and night shade with velcro strips to avoid any additional mishaps.
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

With ours the sun shade only comes down to the middle of the windshield. The night shade comes all the way down to the dash. I'm surprised your sun shade went all the way down. That could be very dangerous to say the least.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

Ours was "suppose" to come only 1/2 way down but the gear or something slipped/broke and unrolled the entire screen (covering the entire windshield). Wonder why they have so much material on the spool if it's only to cover 1/2 the windshield?
Matt
Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Matt, I'll check ours out and see if it is the same.

Ed
Old 11-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

NIght Shade

My night shade is stuck fully retracted up. My ignition is off and the shade will not deploy downward. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a quick fix beyond taking it back to the dealer for a warranty fix?
jhpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

Unfortunately when I took my coach into shop they had to order an entirely new mechanism. I guess because it was under warranty. It took a week or 2 to get the part.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #7

Ditto here - last weekend the Sunshade would not deploy DOWN. Only Up and more Up.. Took it to the shop on Monday. Will post back when they say what the problem was..
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Same problem here sun and night shade will not come down. In shop now. If this is a defect shouldn"t forest river send out a recall.

2010 Berkshire 390BH
rpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #9

My sun shade stripped out and later fell all the way down too. Manageable, but scary to think the night shade might too....

Lovin' the coach (2011 390BH) otherwise.
MotoWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Our night shade got stuck also. Gears stripped. Found out there are two buttons on right side of shade that restart or reset the shade. The button on the right is the one for the night shade. Hold that button in while raising or lowering shade with coach switch. It should help you out if gears are not stripped. They are ordering a new shade for us. In the mean time a pretty sheet hangs in our 2011 coach. Love the RV life though.
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #11

This is very helpful.

Apparently - all that was done when I had an issue was a reset - but now I know how to actually do the reset - without having to take the RV into the shop..

Thank you!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialee View Post
Our night shade got stuck also. Gears stripped. Found out there are two buttons on right side of shade that restart or reset the shade. The button on the right is the one for the night shade. Hold that button in while raising or lowering shade with coach switch. It should help you out if gears are not stripped. They are ordering a new shade for us. In the mean time a pretty sheet hangs in our 2011 coach. Love the RV life though.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #12

If this is a common problem Birkshire better........

have a recall. Could get bad for them if an accident happens as a result of a falling shade.
BamaCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #13

about your 360 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarzano View Post
Ditto here - last weekend the Sunshade would not deploy DOWN. Only Up and more Up.. Took it to the shop on Monday. Will post back when they say what the problem was..
i notice you have the 360 motor , are you happy with it ?

is the fuel consumption is more than the 340 hp ,have you got the chance of made comparaison ?

any of your comment will be appreciate !!!

thanks !
happysoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

I was at a dealer today in Alvarado and a the sunshade for the front window on a 2011 model never owned was pulled down and at least eight inches was laying on the dash. The button to retract it was non responsive. The night shade was working but squealed loudly when used.

I'm not any owner yet, but this did not bring me any comfort towards becoming one.

Are there any other owners that have had issues with their front window screens?

Thanks,
TexasTransplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Ours has worked fine with absolutely no issues.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
marialee-Berkshire410qs

We will be getting the whole shade unit replaced. They were trying to get just the motor replaced but it would have taken to long. This has taken long enough. I am kind of getting use to the sheet in the front window, kind of pretty and matches the rig!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialee View Post
We will be getting the whole shade unit replaced. They were trying to get just the motor replaced but it would have taken to long. This has taken long enough. I am kind of getting use to the sheet in the front window, kind of pretty and matches the rig!

Marialee -

Did you try the reset mentioned above? By all means replace the unit - but just wondering if the above helped or not?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
marialee-Berkshire410qs

amarzano: Yes, we tried to reset the motor. It didn't work. We now have a new shade unit, this one came with bright pink labels that tell you not to pull on the shade. UMMM could this have been the problem from the get go? We are now very careful with the shade and have the reset instructions on hand... WooHoo. I must say that Forest River is a good company to deal with as far as taking care of your service problems. I deal directly with the company. Some of the dealer service Dept's and not so helpful.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Well I had the same issue. It worked one day then the next day I brought the coach to storage it would not go down. I did get the shade down finally. That was on a Tuesday. I picked the coach up on the following Friday an the shade would not go up! Since I spoke to the dealer on this I had no choice but to roll it up by hand. Well as I was driving out of the storage place doing 5-10mph the night shade came all the way down! Scary to think if that would of happened on our way to the springs doing 65! So I rolled it back up and used packaging tape to hold it. I told my 14 year old that if the night shade came down on the highway to do what ever he had to to get it up. What makes these things just stop working? I also agree it appears there needs to be a recall on the shade. I was so paranoid that it might come down when I was on the highway I taped it in about 7 different places. It held. I took the tape of that evening and it went down automagically! (ok it fell down). The next day when we left I rolled it back up by hand and again taped the heck out of it.
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #20

2011 Berkshire Bunkhouse. The night shade deployed down with about two feet extra on the dash. When we retrackted it, it didn't go up the whole way. Hand rolled it to get back home, but it self deployed again. Luckily it didn't come the whole way down and we were able to pull over. This has to be a recall, but I can't seem to find anything on it?
heish1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire