Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Tank Heat in Berkshires with Aquahot

Our PDI walk through left little to be desired - the dealer employee did try to prepare, but it was clear that they were used to explaining systems in 5th wheels and TT's rather than in diesel pushers.

So, I wanted to confirm my understanding of how the basement plumbing is kept warm in the colder months. I believe there is a ceiling-mounted heat exchanger attached to one of the Aquahot loops that heats the tanks and wet bay. In addition, there is a "tank heat" button on the Precision Plex which, I believe, controls heating pads attached to the tanks themselves.

Does that match up with the understanding of other XL/XLT owners?
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

On our "Baby Berky" we have the "heating pad" style tank "warmers", controlled by an old fashioned rocker switch in the control panel - none of that fancy schmancy Precision Plex stuff for us!! I wish I has some sort of heat feed down into the basement, but I've made do with a small ceramic heater for those rare freezing conditions I've accidentally found myself in . . .
Old 03-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - I did something similar with our previous coach. One of the propane furnaces had a duct that went into the wet bay, but we didn't always use the furnaces. I had two of those ceramic "personal" heaters (~250 watt, I think) and put one on each side of the tank/wet bay. Kept it toasty warm in there when they were turned on!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:19 AM   #4

Good luck with the new motor home! The older Berkshires do not have basement heat. Yes they have tank heat pads. In cold weather- (low 20's) I have put a heater on the passenger side of the wet bay. With a remote thermometer on the drivers side( display on dash) With the heater on low- it stayed in the low 50's.

For piece of mind- I bought a small thermometer for the dash with 2 remote sensors. I put one in the wet bay, the second in the lp bay for good outside air temp readings.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

Ty,
You’ll probably have luck calling the Berkshire division directly on your question on the heat loop. Have your serial number handy. That’d be great if it works the way you are thinking. I’d think there would have to be some way to turn that off/on for summer though unless it works strictly with the main circulation.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

Anaviator
You’re right about the pads. The heat exchanger in the basement water/sewer compartment is controlled by a thermostat in the docking compartment. It’s a small black one like in the coach. Look around the tv cable connection and you will see it. That turns on the heat exchanger fan.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #7

Thanks David! So it sounds like as long as I have the aquahot turned on, the heat comes on in the basement automatically as needed.

The pads seem like they're more of a backup.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

Ty
If you’re camping in cold weather I would turn on the pads also. You just can’t let them get empty because the pad could overheat the plastic tank. Don’t empty below 1/4.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post

So, I wanted to confirm my understanding of how the basement plumbing is kept warm in the colder months. I believe there is a ceiling-mounted heat exchanger attached to one of the Aquahot loops that heats the tanks and wet bay. In addition, there is a "tank heat" button on the Precision Plex which, I believe, controls heating pads attached to the tanks themselves.

Does that match up with the understanding of other XL/XLT owners?
You are mostly correct in your understanding. For clarity, here is how the multiplex, AquaHot & HVAC manage tank heat.
XLT units equipped with A/H are not equipped with tank heat pads. An exterior thermistor is mounted on the wet bay utility panel to monitor compartment temperature. When the temps are below 40 degrees & the AquaHot is ON, the Multiplex will turn on the Fan in Heat Zone 4 (Shared with the Mid Bath-Heat Zone 3) to keep the compartment above freezing.

If you have more questions please contact
Mike Winterrowd
Warranty Plant 40
(574)296-9641
MWinterrowd@forestriverinc.com
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #10

Thanks very much for the clarification. Quick follow up question though - what is the purpose of the "tank heat" page/switch on the Precision Plex screen? It gave me the impression that is controls heat pads because it shows "caution tank level low" when the tanks are empty.

Is it just a leftover function used in non-AH coaches that does nothing in my coach?

If no one knows the answer I will reach out to Mike and ask him.

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #11

Ty
I have the same message which is misleading.
If that is the case then Forest River should communicate with Precision Plex to modify the XLT control panel.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #12

My 2019 XLT has the heat exchanger and the thermostat as I originally posted. It also has tank pads on all three tanks that are controlled by the Precision Plex system. I can see them by looking in the docking compartment.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #13

I have the same message about tank heat pads and low levels.
2022 Host
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, tank