Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Tankless Water Heater

I recently purchased a new 2012 Berkshire 390BH that came with a Girard tankless water heater. We have observed that everytime you flush the toilet the hot water heater comes on and runs for a couple of minutes. The dealers does not know how to address tis issue. Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution to this? All the plumbing is correct and the water flowing into the toilet NEVER gets warm.
Thanks,
Mmnsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

The only thing that should turn the water heater on is the flow switch on the cold inlet to the heater. The water for the toilet would take a while to get hot. Just like the shower, if you turn it on the water flow has to turn the heater on, this turns on the exhaust fan that must come up to speed and make a sail switch proving the blower is running, and probably goes through a purge for a few seconds before the burner turns on. If all the plumbing is correct, I am puzzled by what would cause the flow switch to make.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc
I recently purchased a new 2012 Berkshire 390BH that came with a Girard tankless water heater. We have observed that everytime you flush the toilet the hot water heater comes on and runs for a couple of minutes. The dealers does not know how to address tis issue. Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution to this? All the plumbing is correct and the water flowing into the toilet NEVER gets warm.
Thanks,
Your best bet is to just call Girard.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

I have a 2012 Berkshire 360-FWS, and I just had a problem with the Girard heater. Sometimes it would work, and then other times it would not. I called the tech at Girard, and he told me to open the compartment, and look for the copper elbow which has a magnet switch attached to it. It is in the left rear of the unit as you look at it. He told me to tap it lightly with something and it would free up the magnet. Apparently sometimes the magnet sticks and it may or may not let water pass through. In my case, it would not allow enought water to pass to activate the heater. I did what he said, and now it seems to be working fine. He said after doing that, it should not happen again. I am not sure why it wouldn't happen again, but he said that should correct it, and if it didn't, then we will probably need to replace the magnet valve. Yours may be sticking open and allowing some water to pass, therefore lighting the heater. Try it. If it doesn't work, then just call the tech at Girard for a service facility.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

I have noticed in ours that every time the cold water is turned on, the blower on the hot water heater comes on, but it does not ignite unless you turn on the hot water. I thought maybe this is the way it was supposed to be since I have never had a tankless heater before. I may have to check the magnet valve myself. Our unit is currently in for service after the initial shakedown run. When I mentioned the water heater issue it was clear by the response that they dont know how the system works. I really dont understand why the people that sell them know so little about how things work.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

We are having an issue this weekend with little warm water. No matter what water flow, we can not get hot water. I will try tapping on the magnet this evening to see if that will make a difference.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #7

I posted what we were told was a fix for the sticking magnet valve problem. It is not a lasting resolution. Heater stopped working again, and tapping it now has no effect. I called Girard again, and we ran a by-pass test. If you disconnect the wire that goes up from the magnet valve to a relay type switch, and then get a small wire with some alligator clips on each end. Put one on the relay where the wire was, and take the other end to ground, i.e. a base screw or similar item. Before you make the ground connection, make sure someone turns the hot water on in the coach. Then touch the end to a ground, and if the unit turns on, you definitely have a magnet valve malfunction. Be sure not to turn the water off while you are by-passing the valve. If the water is not running, you can and will burn the unit out. Girard is now sending me a new magnet valve. I will take it to the dealer and have it installed. They say they allow 1 hour labor for removal and replacement. Hope this helps anybody else who may have an issue with the water heater.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

I did some more hands on testing this morning. We can obtain hot water with very minimal water flow. I would assume the water we are trying to heat is roughly 40 degrees. The flow is so slow that it barely pushes out the shower head.

Planning to call Girard tomorrow. I seen online they no longer use the model installed in our 2013 but now use one with a dial to increase the BTUs.

I would hate to have to pay to change out the water heater to a better manufacture, but since we use our coach thru January the chances are good we will have cold water coming thru the heater.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #9

I called Girard directly this week in regards to my problem. They tried to dismiss the issue as I did not understand how to use the unit. I informed him I do understand the unit and have read countless articles on how the unit in my coach has failed and they no longer install this unit. He then informed me I was incorrect once again. I was getting no where with him. He said I needed to measure the water temps and call back.

I was not satisfied so I called my salesman at LazyDays and ask what I should do. He had their on site Forest River rep phone me for details. He then called Girard and emailed this attachment. My unit would be the old style and need the wiring changed. I am waiting to hear how to proceed with the repair.

Amazing how Girard blew me off and to find out there is a service bulletin for this unit.

See attachment.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

Very interesting. Thanks for passing along that information EJM4.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
I called Girard directly this week in regards to my problem. They tried to dismiss the issue as I did not understand how to use the unit. I informed him I do understand the unit and have read countless articles on how the unit in my coach has failed and they no longer install this unit. He then informed me I was incorrect once again. I was getting no where with him. He said I needed to measure the water temps and call back.

I was not satisfied so I called my salesman at LazyDays and ask what I should do. He had their on site Forest River rep phone me for details. He then called Girard and emailed this attachment. My unit would be the old style and need the wiring changed. I am waiting to hear how to proceed with the repair.

Amazing how Girard blew me off and to find out there is a service bulletin for this unit.

See attachment.
I received the attachment in the mail from Girard along with a coupling to install if I wanted to convert ours. I keep it on low and we have plenty of hot water so I never did the conversion.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane

I received the attachment in the mail from Girard along with a coupling to install if I wanted to convert ours. I keep it on low and we have plenty of hot water so I never did the conversion.
Not sure where you live, but when the water you are heating is cold - you may not have hot water.

I installed a jumper wire at the magnet and now the Auto / Low switch operates as a High / Low switch like the new versions except the new ones have a dial adjust the temp.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #13

With very cold water from the hookup, I have had the best luck with shutting off the cold water valve that controls the shower supply. This is in the wet bay. Once that valve is closed, only water which passes through the heater will go to the shower. Otherwise, the shower mixer valve will probably let some unheated water into the shower head. If that water is 40 degrees, you'll notice it!!

As a corollary, if I have that valve closed in Florida, where the water coming out of the tap is already about 80, I practically burn myself in the shower!!

Yes, the overall system is more difficult to manage, but I get to take hot showers for as long as I want!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

hot water problem

I just purchased a 2013 Berkshire 390 RB, took it out for the first time this weekend and could barely get warm water for a short period of time. It has the Girard tankless with the dial control switch, but the flame does not change at all switching it from low to high. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks
redneckmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

What part of the country do you live in? Was the incoming water warm or cold. If you are in the Northeast where the water is cold this time of year, you will want to have have it high.

Did you try regulating the water flow with only the warm water and not using any cold water?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #16

We live in South Jersey, but we were in Ocean City Md. this weekend... Yes we tried using only the hot water and even turned it down to a very low flow and could barely get enought warm water to wash dishes. Didn't even think about trying the shower! Had the control dial on max, no help. Isn't the flame supposed to increase when changing from low to high? Had no differance in size of flame.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #17

Redneckmf -

Sent you a PM with a phone number to help you out.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
Not sure where you live, but when the water you are heating is cold - you may not have hot water.

I installed a jumper wire at the magnet and now the Auto / Low switch operates as a High / Low switch like the new versions except the new ones have a dial adjust the temp.
Earl, I must be one of the lucky ones. I have hot water when it's 38° in Michigan during the spring and hot water when it's 95° in Georgia.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #19

Thanks Earl, I gave him a call today,but he's out of the office til Dec. 3. I'll try again then. Really appreciate your help. Nels
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #20

Back to square one again...

I thought ours was fixed. We last used the coach in SC during Thanksgiving with no issues. Stuck it in the storage building for a couple of months. Made a run to Western Ohio this weekend. Used the fresh water tank and the water was cold! Could barely get warm water at best!

There has to be a better system. Frustrated!