Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Temporary power drop, dash display blank

Hello,

I had this happen to me twice while at speed (2017 XL 380). Driving at about 65 mph, I notices a sudden drop of power and reduction of speed while the dash display showed Freighliner just like when you first turn the ignition on. The key was still on and the engine was still running, then the engine resume normal power and the dash display came back, but my selected display of MPH, distance to destination and time of travel were wrong. Mpg was now over 100 mpg and time and distance were wrong also.
This episode only lasted a second or so but it was scary, once the power resumed to normal, I continued on without further problem.
I am guessing a bad battery connection or one of the busman fused acted up.
I will have Gaffney Freightliner check my rig for fault at my next appointment but I was curious if anyone else experienced that issue.
It is not my knee hitting the key or too many keys on the key ring , my knees are far away from the key and I only have the ignition key on and nothing attached to it.
Thank you
J
BershireXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #2

I’ve not experienced that, thank goodness, but ask if you discover the cause that you let us know? I’ve the same engine. Thanks,
Old 01-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

It's an attention getter. Happened to me several times. FL did some magic on a connecter under the chassis about 4 years ago, and it hasn't happened since. When I had the problem, the road was always wet. Wish I know which one it was, but the repair was done at the FR facility in Elkhart IN.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #4

Will do! Thanks
Old 01-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #5

Will have FL Gaffney check the connectors, thanks for the tip
Old 01-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #6

Had the same happen to me 3 times. Once was my fault, something hit the ignition key and interrupted the power. The other 2 times driving interstate at 65 mph and momentarily lost power. FL Gaffney check the battery connections and switch. Cleaned contacts and knock wood has not happened in 3 years.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Commercial Member

There is solenoid in the front electrical box under the driver window. I would check the connections on there. The dash and some other components get power from that solenoid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERKSHIRE SOLENOID.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	267983  
Lincman983 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power