Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Back to the original problem...heater was still inconsistent at best, it would work and then not work. We could go to bed and have it working (even cycling on and off with the set temp) but then wake up in the early morning only to find it had tried to light but failed and locked itself out. Then I would have to manually shut it off and on several times before it would light again (just blowing cold 2 or 3 times).
So we were back at FR and they ended up changing out the Domestic thermostat and it worked there, it even worked for me when checking it out. Well, it didn't last very long and it's back to its old tricks and here it is the weekend again and have to wait for Monday to go back.
Just to put this into perspective, I bought a $20 ceramic heater that works perfectly all night long, but they can't get the heater to work reliably on a $180K motorhome. Very very frustrated and dissapointed still...

Sorry that didn't fix the issue. I'm sure they all thought that the thermostat would fix it. I had intermittent issues with my fridge and although it was frustrating for everyone it was a hardship for us. I think everyone understands that the end user is the one taking the load when things aren't working correctly. I bet Randy is all over this Monday.
As you are stuck in Elkhart for the weekend maybe we can suggest some things to see and do.
I would go see the RV museum. Maybe a trip over to Mishawaka to shop. Shipshewana has a great cheese factory and some wonderful bakeries as well as some cool shops to walk around. Maybe even go see Notre Dame. Lots to see around the area. I'm sure other have more suggestions.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
With diesel division he will not have to demand anything. I guarantee Randy will be all over this Monday morning. Demanding is almost never the best approach when getting service work done. Especially at FR Diesel.
I hope you are right for the OP's sake. I always prefer making suggestions but after being back to the dealer and FR as many times as he has been it might be the only way to go. This should have been fixed by now, he shouldn't have to be going back there again for the same problem.

I know if this were me I would be about ready to explode. Didn't you say you worked there? Maybe a phone call from you could help the him?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Sorry that didn't fix the issue. I'm sure they all thought that the thermostat would fix it. I had intermittent issues with my fridge and although it was frustrating for everyone it was a hardship for us. I think everyone understands that the end user is the one taking the load when things aren't working correctly. I bet Randy is all over this Monday.
As you are stuck in Elkhart for the weekend maybe we can suggest some things to see and do.
I would go see the RV museum. Maybe a trip over to Mishawaka to shop. Shipshewana has a great cheese factory and some wonderful bakeries as well as some cool shops to walk around. Maybe even go see Notre Dame. Lots to see around the area. I'm sure other have more suggestions.

Stay away from ND today home football game unless you like mass crowds.

Wayne
Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Stay away from ND today home football game unless you like mass crowds.

Wayne

It's always good advice to stay away from ND but I can see today being even more necessary. LOL. Not a ND fan.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #45

We are actually at the Shipshewana North Park, we like it here and it gets us out of Elkhart. The clippity clop of the buggy horses has a pleasant and relaxing effect on us. Food is great at the Blue Gate restaurant and we are going to a comedy musical at the theatre they have upstairs.
By the way, the heater isn't the only thing that we are "again" dealing with. When we were in CO in June, we were stuck for a week there due to a 90° rubber elbow on an air line that runs between the turbo and compressor that had blown a hole in it...evidently due in part to a support bracket that broke...well, guess what...that very same elbow is blowing out again and the FL service center can't get part till Tues earliest! Now I know this is a FL issue, but I did not by this from FL I bought it from FR. As you mentioned about Randy (Phil), he did get me into the FL service center right away. I've stayed in motels and spent more money at restaurants or having to pay for rv parks rather than be on the road going to places we plan to go...who should pay for that??
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #46

Quote:
We are actually at the Shipshewana North Park, we like it here and it gets us out of Elkhart. The clippity clop of the buggy horses has a pleasant and relaxing effect on us. Food is great at the Blue Gate restaurant and we are going to a comedy musical at the theatre they have upstairs.
By the way, the heater isn't the only thing that we are "again" dealing with. When we were in CO in June, we were stuck for a week there due to a 90° rubber elbow on an air line that runs between the turbo and compressor that had blown a hole in it...evidently due in part to a support bracket that broke...well, guess what...that very same elbow is blowing out again and the FL service center can't get part till Tues earliest! Now I know this is a FL issue, but I did not by this from FL I bought it from FR. As you mentioned about Randy (Phil), he did get me into the FL service center right away. I've stayed in motels and spent more money at restaurants or having to pay for rv parks rather than be on the road going to places we plan to go...who should pay for that??

I don't know who should pay for your expenses. I think everyone on the forum understands. Understanding doesn't mean we have any answers.
A wise old MH owner once asked if I had had any problems with my MH. I said no(it was right after purchasing it). He said you will just roll with it.
I'm not trying to make light of your issue or anyone else's. We MH with 15 or so MH's from several different manufacturers. New and old and all have issues. It's the nature of the beast. We are planning a 1600 mile trip around Lake Superior next year. We will be roughly tracing a trip taken by the same club ten years ago. They had 18 MH' and three breakdowns. It's something we plan on and make an effort to have repair facility mapped out and phone numbers handy. I share this only to show that it happens and it will continue to happen. We are lucky(not sure I feel lucky) to be retired. If a breakdown occurred we are out a bit of money for repairs and some of our time. A family on vacation risks the vacation. Time for us is free. I understand but I promise you and I don't want to sound mean here but breakdowns are a part of any RV and especially part of motor homing.
I know this will upset some folks and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
Roll with it.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #47

Wow, 1600 miles around a lake. Never thought of it in that perspective. Sounds like a fun trip . Will there be any pools to get in on who will have the least, or most issues ? Joking of course. Hope to see lots of pictures on here from your trip.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #48

Quote:
It's always good advice to stay away from ND but I can see today being even more necessary. LOL. Not a ND fan.

That's why I am in Charlotte did I mention it's raining

Wayne
Old 10-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #49

Here are Randy Mitch and Andys phone numbers. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444500612.703596.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	91128

Old 10-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #50

Quote:

Wayne

Not a good thing. Rain at NASCAR tracks will have lots of people stuck. Hopefully not you or Supercheif.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #51

Quote:

Wayne
Was the race rained out?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #52

The Heat / The Sequel

I'm not there but yes it's been rained out. Moved to Sunday. Sure hope everyone brought enough beer.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Here are Randy Mitch and Andys phone numbers. Attachment 91128
Is Andy a service support guy also?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #54

No Andy is the parts manager. He is a very good person to know. Not only because of his knowledge and ability to get you your parts when you need them fast but also because he is genuinely a nice person and good friend.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #55

Are you referring to.the furnaces or the heater pump on the front ac unit. Judging by your description it sounds like the heat pump. Heat pumps work well as long as the temperature differential inside vs outside is quite low.

I use the two furnaces with the fans on auto
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Are you referring to.the furnaces or the heater pump on the front ac unit. Judging by your description it sounds like the heat pump. Heat pumps work well as long as the temperature differential inside vs outside is quite low.

I use the two furnaces with the fans on auto
If you're asking me, I am talking about the furnace, not the heart pump. I only have one furnace in my rig and it is set on auto. I have not graduated in the use of the heart pump yet
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #57

Quote:
If you're asking me, I am talking about the furnace, not the heart pump. I only have one furnace in my rig and it is set on auto. I have not graduated in the use of the heart pump yet
A heat pump works well in +40 weather. Around freezing or below it is furnace weather. Another thing to remember is a heat pump doesn't supply any heat to the underbelly.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #58

Quote:
So my heater has been working inconsistantly...work fine last night except it took a while of cold blowing before it got hot. After the initial run it work fine wrt the thermostat setting, except in the early morning hours it did not even try to start (inside temp was 59, thermo was set at 70). Now tonight it just blows cold again for a few minutes and then shuts off. I went outside to examine the exhaust and I can hear the igniter trying to light periodically, not constant. I have read a bunch of forums about heaters and only one pertaining to berks. Most of the others can evidently get access to theirs, but mine is in the corner behind the fireplace, so I can't see where the board or igniter are. Any thoughts?

If you have propane , the units fan comes on for a bit and then shuts off never getting hot . the furnace is going through a purge mode .before the fan shuts off the furnace should lite , but it does not it just shuts down . so 1. you are having problems with your sail switch . 2 it lites briefly and then shuts off because the flame sensor is bad or just dirty . if it's just dirty which is common a light cleaning with some very fine emery will do the trick don't over do it . 3 .your pc board is bad or igniter is bad and not sending spark when the purge mode is done and gas valve in energized if flame is not sensed it shuts down .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #59

Well, they are changing the entire unit this afternoon if freightliner finishes in the next half hour or so.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Well, they are changing the entire unit this afternoon if freightliner finishes in the next half hour or so.

Good news.