Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

The Heat / The Sequel

So my heater has been working inconsistantly...work fine last night except it took a while of cold blowing before it got hot. After the initial run it work fine wrt the thermostat setting, except in the early morning hours it did not even try to start (inside temp was 59, thermo was set at 70). Now tonight it just blows cold again for a few minutes and then shuts off. I went outside to examine the exhaust and I can hear the igniter trying to light periodically, not constant. I have read a bunch of forums about heaters and only one pertaining to berks. Most of the others can evidently get access to theirs, but mine is in the corner behind the fireplace, so I can't see where the board or igniter are. Any thoughts?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
So my heater has been working inconsistantly...work fine last night except it took a while of cold blowing before it got hot. After the initial run it work fine wrt the thermostat setting, except in the early morning hours it did not even try to start (inside temp was 59, thermo was set at 70). Now tonight it just blows cold again for a few minutes and then shuts off. I went outside to examine the exhaust and I can hear the igniter trying to light periodically, not constant. I have read a bunch of forums about heaters and only one pertaining to berks. Most of the others can evidently get access to theirs, but mine is in the corner behind the fireplace, so I can't see where the board or igniter are. Any thoughts?

In not going to be much help but I will think out loud. First thing I would check is the supply of LP. Not much can go wrong but regulator or auto shut off. Are you getting LP to the range? Next some how you will need to get to the igniter. If you have LP and spark it has to light. If it does and goes out it is a thermocouple. Also shine a light in the exhaust. It will not light if it has something in it like a leaf or a nest of some kind.
I'm sure you have checked all if that but that's all I got. Sorry I'm not more help.
Phil

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Assuming its a Suburban, you must first find an access on the inside to disconnect the gas and electric. Next you remove the outside cover plate and inlet/ outlet pipes. Finally remove all flange screws and withdraw the unit to the outside. The way you describe it, maybe the fireplace must be removed for the inside connections? Maybe call FR for advice on common failures first. How old is it? Still under warranty?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Thanks Phil, yes I did try all of the above. It was when I was looking into the exhaust when I heard the igniter and smelled the LP when it was trying. Was ready to put some extra clothes on and decided to try again and it finally fired off after a minute or two of blowing cold again. Hopefully it will work through the night...a little chilly midway up Michigan right now.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #5

I know the feeling. We are in Michigan as well and it's 42. WTH. We are leaving the 15th for Florida and can't wait. I hate the cold and rain. Worst case go buy a couple of ceramic heaters. We have two and use them a lot in Michigan.
Where are you at?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I know the feeling. We are in Michigan as well and it's 42. WTH. We are leaving the 15th for Florida and can't wait. I hate the cold and rain. Worst case go buy a couple of ceramic heaters. We have two and use them a lot in Michigan.
Where are you at?
Funny you should mention the portable heaters, we were thinking about that while walking around at Menards the other day. What size are the ones you have and do they draw much amps?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Assuming its a Suburban, you must first find an access on the inside to disconnect the gas and electric. Next you remove the outside cover plate and inlet/ outlet pipes. Finally remove all flange screws and withdraw the unit to the outside. The way you describe it, maybe the fireplace must be removed for the inside connections? Maybe call FR for advice on common failures first. How old is it? Still under warranty?
Probably through the fireplace access would be easiest, but that was the only thing keeping the chill out, so didn't want to do that and it's been raining out. I will definitely give Mike a call on Monday and we plan to swing by FR on our way back out of Michigan since that was the plan to check things out before leaving the region. Yes I'm still under warranty
Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #8

I bought two tall Bionaire 1500 watt heaters. I have no idea what Amps they draw but they will not run on the same circuit. They have a safety switch on the bottom so tipping over is not a safety concern. I think I bought them at Costco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443924628.424987.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	90599

Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #9

I have a electric fireplace with thermostat in my flagstaff, plus the furnace-in my old unit we just used spaceheaters unless it got really cold then used the furnace
rrapidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
marialee-Berkshire410qs

I had a similar problem with my furnace. It was a loose connection in the fuse center outside below drivers window. Fuse was good, wire behind fuse was loose. Pushed it in tight. Working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Funny you should mention the portable heaters, we were thinking about that while walking around at Menards the other day. What size are the ones you have and do they draw much amps?
They typically draw 11- 15 amps each.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #12

The rear furnace in our Georgetown did basically the same thing. We could hear the igniter, but it wouldn't light. It turned out to be a bad circuit board. It's been fine since the replacement. The technician said he's seen that particular board go bad several times. Had it replaced by a local tech under warranty after FR approval, but still awaiting reimbursement almost 3 months later. Good luck.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
You might want to read this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-93797.html

Most electric heaters are 1500 watt heaters and draw about 13 amps. You can't run two on the same circuit unless they have a high / low switch. Both would have to be set on low, which is normally 750 watts, so the two together would draw 1500 watts. You may need to do this at night to add heat to the bedroom and still have some heat in the living area.

Look and see if you have two 15 amp receptacle circuits. If so you can run two on high but don't plan on running any thing else on those circuits. I like to run one on my kitchen circuit and shut it off when making coffee, or anything else that draws a lot of power.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi I believe that the problem is a proof of ignition or flame. The electronic ignition system looks for a small mil volts that is passed through the flame to prove that the LP gas has ignited thermocouples are not used any more with the electronic systems. You may have a bad electronic ignition control board or the flame or gas is not in full contact with the ignition/flame rod causing a week signal through the flame or no ignition. The control board will make 3 attempts to light the burner and then lock out the furnace controls. This can be reset by tuning the furnace off and then back on. Spiders love to build nest around LP burners for some reason and can cause the electronics to short out through the webs.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi I believe that the problem is a proof of ignition or flame. The electronic ignition system looks for a small mil volts that is passed through the flame to prove that the LP gas has ignited thermocouples are not used any more with the electronic systems. You may have a bad electronic ignition control board or the flame or gas is not in full contact with the ignition/flame rod causing a week signal through the flame or no ignition. The control board will make 3 attempts to light the burner and then lock out the furnace controls. This can be reset by tuning the furnace off and then back on. Spiders love to build nest around LP burners for some reason and can cause the electronics to short out through the webs.

Hope this helps Tim
Unfortunately you are right. Thermocouples are not in use on the new electronic systems. You can't light them with a match and a piece of steel wool or sandpaper can't fix the problem any more.

Two days ago I turned the heat on in my house. It blew fine but all cold air. Great, sense my surgery I can't get into the basement to look at the furnace so called my HVAC guy. A strange call because I taught him part of what he knows, oh well. He came out and I expected to have him replace the main board. He was here two minutes and came back upstairs. All he did was push a reset button and it is running fine now.

So what is better? I expected a big bill for a board but lucked out this time. But in my trailer I would take the old way any time. I doubt if there is a reset button on our trailers boards, an if there is we need to tear the whole thing apart to get to it. Why couldn't it be like the hw burner?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post

Hope this helps Tim
That could explain the inconsistency, because it works fine and then doesn't. It's working right now.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I bought two tall Bionaire 1500 watt heaters. I have no idea what Amps they draw but they will not run on the same circuit. They have a safety switch on the bottom so tipping over is not a safety concern. I think I bought them at Costco.

Attachment 90599
Wow those are huge heaters! I was thinking of something smaller. On a good note, we're sitting hear looking at the Mackinac Bridge through our picture window and the heater is working!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #18

I have been about to reply to your thread for hours, then I read what other excellent posters have written and I can't add a thing that might help. We left your area a few days ago, near Grand Rapids tonight and in Elkhart tomorrow for a plant tour. Hope you can get it working before winter sets in, good thing we have common units and parts are easy to come by.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #19

Talking heat

We use the Heat pump from the A/C. It doesn't heat the compartments down under but if that cold I turn on the heat switch for the water and holding tanks. Works fine and a lot less propane.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
I have been about to reply to your thread for hours, then I read what other excellent posters have written and I can't add a thing that might help. We left your area a few days ago, near Grand Rapids tonight and in Elkhart tomorrow for a plant tour. Hope you can get it working before winter sets in, good thing we have common units and parts are easy to come by.

We are at Hidden Ridge in GR.