Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Third AC on Berk 390BH-60

I am finding the cooling provided by the two stock AC units to be insufficient. Has anyone added a third AC unit to a Berk? Seems to be a lot of talk about it ... but noone has said for sure that they have gone through with it.

Would appreciate feedback

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I am finding the cooling provided by the two stock AC units to be insufficient. Has anyone added a third AC unit to a Berk? Seems to be a lot of talk about it ... but noone has said for sure that they have gone through with it.

Would appreciate feedback

Tim
How can that be with you in Canada? I live in Arizona and my 15,000 and 13,500 BTU A/C units work great in the hot desert at 90-100 degrees F.

Can you explain more why you think your two units aren't sufficient?
How old is your MH and A/C's ?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

Parking the dog sled and going on the move

Good point Iggy ... You know us Canadians Eh. When we get tired of running from polar bears and beating baby seals with clubs, we like to park the dog sled and lock up the igloo and head out on holiday. (provided we have a good supply of whale blubber for snacks).

A 20 hour drive straight north would get us to 100f summer temps in Yellowknife, 2 hours south 110f temps in Lethbridge and our usual trips through Nevada and Southern California would get us into temps even higher.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
How can that be with you in Canada? I live in Arizona and my 15,000 and 13,500 BTU A/C units work great in the hot desert at 90-100 degrees F.

Can you explain more why you think your two units aren't sufficient?
How old is your MH and A/C's ?

Yeah - but it's a "dry heat" in AZ.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Good point Iggy ... You know us Canadians Eh. When we get tired of running from polar bears and beating baby seals with clubs, we like to park the dog sled and lock up the igloo and head out on holiday. (provided we have a good supply of whale blubber for snacks).

A 20 hour drive straight north would get us to 100f summer temps in Yellowknife, 2 hours south 110f temps in Lethbridge and our usual trips through Nevada and Southern California would get us into temps even higher.

I thought Canada made Arizona , Nevada and Southern California their new winter territory. You're all down here now. That must be where they got the term snow birds. You fly south for the winter.
Yes it is always dry heat here. Even molten lava is dry heat.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Gary and Pam

You would need to look at the combined amps for all your appliances to see if you can add a third ac. 50 amps sounds like a lot but it goes fast.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Thank you Gary for getting things back on topic. There seems to be a lot of people talking about adding a third to a Berk .... however ... I have yet to find anyone that has gone though with it
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

I thought that I read a post here that someone added a 3rd AC but was told by Forest River that the roof/and or electrical would not support 3. I don't remember when I read it or who posted it though.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

Both Joker and Motoworld added third units. Here is the thread that contains some of the conversation

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...n-25910-2.html
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #10

That was me who posted about FR saying you shouldnt add a 3rd a/c. I can only pass along what a senior tech told me at my dealership - he said someone had added a 3rd a/c and then the unit had to go to the factory for some other repair and that at the FR factory they removed the 3rd a/c and said if left on they would void the roof warranty. They ended up swapping the 13.5 for a 15k unit in the front instead. I was only passing along what the tech told me when I asked about it.
My guess is that a vent in the kitchen/living area is required and they dont want you to just fill in the existing vent with another a/c unit. I think it would be ok if you installed another vent but the cost of doing all of that would be prohibitive. I plan to eventually replace my front 13.5 with a 15k a/c that should have been standard.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #11

We are having trouble too with 15,000 in the front and 13,500 in the back. It just doesn't get cool and doesn't blow out of the vents properly.
I will read the other posts on the topic.
spottedhorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
390bh