Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Tire pressure

Just curious:

What tire pressure do you guys run in your tires??

Some say they run 110 up front; 100 in the rears...

Just put new tires all around and they put 110 all around.... after a 3 hr drive here in SD, I had one inside rear register 126..... made me a tad nervous.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Lifesylers

Tire Pressure

Don't ask that here, use manafactures chart. They are the designer, builders and testers. We are the mice and everyone is different.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

Totally understand that BUT I’m sure we all are pretty close to the same regardless of the manufacture......

When I have a tire pressure that jumps 16 lb in a three hr drive I get a little nervous - outside temps upper 80’s and obviously road temps even higher....

Other 5 tires stayed within more normal ranges - 115 - 117
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Lifesylers

Tire Pressure

You asked so I will answer, which should mean nothing for you and your setup, weights, speed you name it. All tires at 100...Last 8 months, winter and summer...West coast to Houston, Houston to east coast (currently this trip right now), from East Coast to Mississipi, to LA, then to Houston. Tires currently at 100,99,98,100,99, 98. Heat index 104 to our lowest outside temp entire trip... Use Tire Manafacuture guildelines..Bottom line.. BTW. I have not had to add air pressure in an entire year....Running Firestone steers, and Goodyear RV on rear. Firestone steers rated max speed 75...I rarely do 75...Choice speed for me is 68-69 cruise control always when possible.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

I do a 4 point weigh and consult the tire manufacturer documents. On my rig I wind up with 10 psi more in rear. I see a lot of people running less rear than front pressure, which surprises me. I can see that with a tag axle, but otherwise I find it surprising.

Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

mine are typically about 90 in the front, and 85 in the rears...
the rear axles are typically carrying more of a load, per tire, since they are duallies, meaning less psi for a smoother ride.

but, yes, the tires are going to have heightened psi reading during the heat of the day, and due to speed, and usage, etc... the tires have a 'max' cold psi that already takes this into account, so if you're running lower cold psi numbers to begin with, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes having a TPMS staring numbers at you all day long makes you worry more, than less...but the tires were doing the same thing before the TPMS came into play...no worries.

Weigh your coach, each axle, and consult your tire manufacturer's recommendations for that information... no matter what the 'rest of us' might be doing.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
mine are typically about 90 in the front, and 85 in the rears...
the rear axles are typically carrying more of a load, per tire, since they are duallies, meaning less psi for a smoother ride.
[snip]
Is their a typo in what you wrote? You say that the rears are carrying more load per tire than the fronts, yet you run them at a lower pressure. Something must be wrong in my interpretation.

Note that duallies need more pressure for any given weight per tire, according to my Goodyear manual. But, you are running less.

—Gordon
Old 07-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #8

forgive me, but the weight is higher on the front axle, slightly lower on the rear, per tire, since there are 4 tires on the rear... 22.5" sizes

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 07-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Ah, I see. In my coach, all 6 tires carry virtually the same weight. That's why I need more air in the rears, given Goodyear's recommendation.

Maybe the fact that I have a shorter 34 foot chassis puts more weight on the rear.

–Gordon
Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Okay, so maybe I have had this wrong for a lot of years, but I have set my rears to 95 and fronts to 105, figuring that the rears carry the load with 4 tires vs the fronts on two. Is this wrong?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #11

it depends on the weight of the coach on each axle - sometimes, like mine, the front axle carries more 'per tire', than the rears, so the front is a slightly lower PSI than the rears.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
it depends on the weight of the coach on each axle - sometimes, like mine, the front axle carries more 'per tire', than the rears, so the front is a slightly lower PSI than the rears.
In your previous post:
"mine are typically about 90 in the front, and 85 in the rears...
the rear axles are typically carrying more of a load, per tire, since they are duallies, meaning less psi for a smoother ride".
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #13

yep, probably got it backwards - also refer to YOUR tire manual and YOUR weights as to what you should be doing on YOUR coach - our old minds might not be quite up to par as we 'think', or 'remember', they are : )
Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Okay, so maybe I have had this wrong for a lot of years, but I have set my rears to 95 and fronts to 105, figuring that the rears carry the load with 4 tires vs the fronts on two. Is this wrong?

Rich
Rich,
Note that the rear of the coach has a big overhang (aka a lever), and that overhang carries your engine, transmission, batteries. The rear wheels are the fulcrum of this lever, so they carry a big load.

As I and others have said, every coach is different, and each should be weighed with the loads that we normally want to carry: water, fuel, toys, etc.

–cheers, Gordon
Old 08-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #15

I run 105 all around and it works perfectly for me...

Just installed new tires and dealer put 110 in all 6.... I reduced that to 105...

Tags
pressure, tire