Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

Tire Shortage

There has been a lot of talk about tires and tire replacement. Mine are over the 6 year mark and I noticed I have a few checks and a divot out of one tire. I was hoping to stay with Goodyear G670RV, but there is now a tire shortage. Goodyear is going to start production on that tire in July/August. I have seen good reviews on Michelin but haven't heard any reports on Bridgestone. Any input?
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflorin View Post
There has been a lot of talk about tires and tire replacement. Mine are over the 6 year mark and I noticed I have a few checks and a divot out of one tire. I was hoping to stay with Goodyear G670RV, but there is now a tire shortage. Goodyear is going to start production on that tire in July/August. I have seen good reviews on Michelin but haven't heard any reports on Bridgestone. Any input?
Most of the new coaches for diesel being built now will come with Michelin. Really don't get a lot of feedback on tires, nor do I see a lot. Haven't really seen or heard any feedback about the Bridgestone... I have always found that people seem to be loyal to tire brands that have performed well for them in the past.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

You may want to look at this first.

https://camperreport.com/avoid-goodyear-rv-tires/
Old 06-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Haven't had any issues with Toya tires on my Berkshire and are cheaper too.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

The one in the CR Report is Goodyear G159, stay away from those -

Goodyear 670RV tires are very good. Id suggest if you can wait, & are are happy with the ride your 670RV now, keep Goodyear 670RVs. (If it aint broke theory)

Now, if you feel you cant wait, the Michelin's are fine tires. I have heard of others when switching experience some different handling experience between the 2 brands.

Those would be the only 2 brands I would use on my rig (FR3 33DS)
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

Thanks all. Good input and interesting with Toya. I have had good luck with their car tires. My tires were mid year 2013 and without the divot, the checking is acceptable. Still not going to risk an incident on the roadway. Hopefully I can get the same tires I currently have, but I have a mid July deadline. Again...I appreciate the input. Happy camping.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #7

I posted a lot of information about tires in a thread started by TMMAR. My discussion explains my ultimate choice, which may differ from your choice, but I give the reasons behind my choice, since they may or may not be relevant to you.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2287194

Another thing that Iíve discussed but which is not in that thread is the difficulty of getting the tire dealer do the installation the way you want. Have a very explicit discussion of what you want or donít want, because they often go and do things that you donít want. Moreover, I found that the installer sometimes doesnít do what the salesman said they did, which can be good or bad.

Iíve had the dealer slip in the following things that I didnít want:
Ė balancing beads rather than proper weights. I only found about the balancing beads in a pair of Goodyears after storing the coach and finding them so badly out of balance that the damage flat-spotted the tire very quickly. I had to replace them.
Ė fluids added inside the tire, like propylene glycol to ďcoolĒ the tire. That stuff is antifreeze and is often added to tractor tires for extra weight. But, it doesnít make sense in a truck or RV.

Things that you do want, but some dealers donít do:
Ė balance the rear wheels. Interestingly, I had a Michelin dealer say they never balance rear tires, when I picked them up. He was the one who added propylene glycol to the tires, or at least claimed to do so. But, the installation guy actually did balance the rear tires, to my pleasure. Maybe he did that instead of the propylene glycol, because he didnít listen to the salesman and wanted to keep the installation cost the same.

óGordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

Good read. I am finding out one of the impacts of COVID is a shortage of everything. This choice may come down to the best choice of what is available. The mix/match on steer and traction you discussed will give me more options.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #9

I replaced my front goodyears with falken and couldn't be happier. Nicer and quieter ride, better traction and great price - 2 front tires mounted and balanced and front end aligned with tax ran me $804 .
Old 06-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #10

We have similar rigs and Falken tires are available. I'll have to look at these as an option.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #11

I used to have a Monaco Safari Gazelle 40PBT. I took the Michelins off (very cracked, only 5 years old, common Michelin problem) and put on Toyos. When I sold the rig, it was bought by a semi driver, and he stated the Toyos were a good choice.

I don't recall the model number, but there were a whole bunch of Goodyears that had sidewall separation issues, not something I would want to happen on a front wheel of a coach!

Toyos cost me right at $3k out the door.

Tags
tire