Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Tires

I own a 2014 390RB and we are currently full time and parked most of the time. I had new 22.5" tires installed last August. We are parked on a stone surface and on a slight rear to front slope. Although the auto level jacks do a good job, I put blocks of wood (2x12) under the front tires and nothing under the rear. My question is, what is the best surface to put under the tires; wood, concrete blocks, etc. I hear and read many opinions on this.
lander
Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:03 AM   #2

From the Michelin site- care of RV tires-
2. When you’re not using your RV, tire storage matters. How you treat your RV tires when you’re not on the road can have a significant impact on their lifespan and condition. When a tire is not given the opportunity to “exercise” regularly, it can begin to age prematurely if a few important storage recommendations aren’t carefully followed. Prior to acquiring your MICHELIN® RV tires, rest assured that they’ve been properly stored. MICHELIN® Commercial Service Network Dealers are held to specific tire storage standards and are regularly audited. All tire inventory is kept out of sunlight and away from any artificial sources of ozone. You should do the same. If your RV is kept outdoors, cover the tires to block direct sunlight. And, if kept in a garage or other covering, make sure it’s not a space shared with frequently used motors, generators, or transformers (including welding equipment). When you store your vehicle, it’s important to place a barrier between the tires and the concrete surface. Plywood is perfectly acceptable, as are rubber mats or even specialized plastic blocks. Before you park your RV in storage at the end of a trip, take the time to carefully clean the tires with water and a mild detergent, and then inflate them to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall. Before taking your RV on another trip, just be sure to follow the steps previously covered to determine the proper inflation level for the planned weight load. Lastly, if you plan to store your RV for longer than three months, you should consider taking it on a short monthly drive. This allows heat to build up within the tire and gives it the right amount of “exercise” to ensure you’re getting the most life possible out of your tires.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanks for sending this, Dave-G. I have had the tires covered since day one and I do check the inflation often. We are taking a long trip in a couple of weeks and I think when we come back I will put something under the tires both front and rear. Thanks again.
lander
Old 05-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

TPMS

Do you use a TPMS?
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #5

I just bought a TPMS from Techno RV to monitor the Jeep Wrangler that we tow, but not for the motorhome, however I do have a warning window or screen on the dash.
lander
Old 05-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

Actually, let me check myself on this. That tire pressure indicator on the dash may be simply part of a checklist as opposed to measuring temp/pressure.
lander
Old 05-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Okay, it looks like I was wrong. While some of the items on the list also include a warning, the tire pressure does not. It serves only as a reminder the check the pressure, so it looks like I'll have to add more sensors to the TPMS I just bought.
lander
Old 05-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #8

When storing your Berkshire it is best to put a barrier between the tire and the concrete. We used rubber horse stall mats purchased from Tractor Supply. The large mats can be cut to fit under the tires. Also take a plastic sheet (garbage bag works well) and lay it on top of the rubber mat. That keeps the tires away from the rubber mat too.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #9

Thanks, everyone. Good info. I'm trying to contact Cooper Tires to get their input as well, but contacting companies anymore is difficult.

And speaking of that, I used Motorhome Tires.com to purchase. They ship to a local installer which comes to you. I had a very good experience with them.
For what it's worth.
Thanks again.
lander

Tags
tire, tires