Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Traveling with Large Dogs

Who out there travels with large dogs? How many? What kind? What do you do with them while away from coach??

We have two German Shepherds and they love to go with us but we've never taken them on extended trips....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

I have a yellow lab that's close to 100 pounds. He rides in the back floorboard of my silverado double cab tethered to the seat belt with a harness when we're on the road.

When we're at the campsite we have a kennel in the trailer to put him in. When we're outside I have a cable I tie him up with so he can be outside with us, or we walk him on a leash. Also have an attachment for my bike so he can walk along with us while we're riding the bikes.

We don't leave him alone at the trailer, we always take him with us.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

We have 1 German Shepherd and 1 Cockapoo. Shepherd weighs in at 80+ and Cockapoo at 20+ . They go where we go except in stores. Hiking, swimming or just laying around. They're family.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

Ernest, you need to clarify your query to ask if any Berkshire Moho owners travel with big dogs.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Silly me - I thought since I posted this under the Berkshire forum it would be clear that I was asking fellow Berkshire owners..... Sorry .....

Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

I never noticed the difference between Jake coming along in the class A or the travel trailer, does what you camp in determine how you should treat your furry friends?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I never noticed the difference between Jake coming along in the class A or the travel trailer, does what you camp in determine how you should treat your furry friends?

If a dog is in a Moho while underway and has the freedom to walk around versus being secured in the back seat of a pick-up truck, there is a major difference.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Guys I didn't start this thread with the intent of it being MH vs TT... Since I have a class A I'm only interested in how fellow class A owners deal with their large dogs. I fully realize that TT'ers have totally different ways of transporting their pets from us coach owners... I acknowledge that.... But for the sake of this discussion could we simply address Class A's without making it an issue of "my way is better than your way". Thanks.....

Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Tinkerer and Putterer

Well we travel in a C with a 100 lb Newfy mix and a 55 lb full on mix of everything. They lay down on some cooling beds between or behind the seats. Sometimes I have a dog head in my lap but my arm rest keeps them from trying to be lap dogs. When the RV is moving they tend to sleep or look out the windows.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #10

2 90 lbs female german shepherds here. they travel everywhere with us. the fur gets everywhere if you get behind on clean up, but the dogs are well behaved as i've been training/working them in schutzhund since they were 6 weeks old. now they are almost 7 years old.

when we leave them in the coach, they just sleep i think... nothing gets messed up, they don't bark unless someone knocks on the door. very well behaved.

i do get in trouble a lot for taking them off leash. but they are on voice control no matter what the distraction (benefits of all that training). my dogs are better behaved than most people's kids at the campgrounds...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Old 06-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #11

Ernest we travel with two small dogs so this may not be much help. Our two are usually content to sleep or just hang out. They both want to be able to see outside. That means they are in Dianna's lap a lot. We haven't figured away for them to be high enough to see out the window yet.
The only real issue with traveling with the dogs is the want to go potty at the worst times. Cooper is not one to be ignored so we have learned to take advantage of rest areas when they are available.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNVET View Post
If a dog is in a Moho while underway and has the freedom to walk around versus being secured in the back seat of a pick-up truck, there is a major difference.
Yes, a dog walking around in a moving motorhome becomes a missile during a wreck. Putting the dog at risk and also the occupants of the motorhome.

Then if there's a breach in the motorhome during the wreck the dog can run out into the highway and either get lost or ran over.

So you're right. There is a major difference.

I'd never take a pet in a moving vehicle of any kind without a harness and proper restraining tethering device.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #13

Big dogs

We travel with 3 Great Danes. Usually take with us where ever we go. If they stay behind. We shut doors to bedroom and bathroom put the baby in his cage lock the door and leave. Never gone over 2-3 hours. They love being with us but I think they love their time to rest too. Sorry just read that you are only interested in mh answers as that is what you own. Still just info
Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Yes, a dog walking around in a moving motorhome becomes a missile during a wreck. Putting the dog at risk and also the occupants of the motorhome.

Then if there's a breach in the motorhome during the wreck the dog can run out into the highway and either get lost or ran over.

So you're right. There is a major difference.

I'd never take a pet in a moving vehicle of any kind without a harness and proper restraining tethering device.

I'll be busy dodging the coffee pot and the toaster. Lol.
Granted this is a concern but it's a risk most of us except. Motorhome home traveling is just different than riding in a pickup.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanteddie0924 View Post
We travel with 3 Great Danes. Usually take with us where ever we go. If they stay behind. We shut doors to bedroom and bathroom put the baby in his cage lock the door and leave. Never gone over 2-3 hours. They love being with us but I think they love their time to rest too

You must have a 100' trailer to have 3 Great Danes. That's a lot of dogs.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #16

We travel in a 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS with a 60+ pound Australian Shepherd. When driving , she is either between the seats close to us or on one of the recliners looking out the port side window. This is the quietest dog we have ever had and is totally trustworthy to leave alone in the unit uncreated. We are super fortunate to be able to travel this way. She is the main reason we decided on a Class C.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #17

Jaw we 35 ft fifth wheel. Luckily they love each other. Oldest us 6 yrs and 180 lbs. middle is 3 years and 140 lbs. youngest is 8 months about 100 lbs.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanteddie0924 View Post
Jaw we 35 ft fifth wheel. Luckily they love each other. Oldest us 6 yrs and 180 lbs. middle is 3 years and 140 lbs. youngest is 8 months about 100 lbs.

Wow that's amazing. I have seen people traveling with large dogs but I think you take the prize for largest. Great Danes are so cool. Have fun

Old 06-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

We travel in a class A coachmen Mirada with two Great Danes. We do leave them in the coach with the AC on and the blinds down if we're going to be out for a short time, but we also leave the TV on for ambient noise, make sure the water bowl is full, and we never leave them for more than 4 hours at a time. They travel well and are our constant companions.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #20

Traveling with large dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Well we travel in a C with a 100 lb Newfy mix and a 55 lb full on mix of everything. They lay down on some cooling beds between or behind the seats. Sometimes I have a dog head in my lap but my arm rest keeps them from trying to be lap dogs. When the RV is moving they tend to sleep or look out the windows.
We travel with 2x140 lbs Great Danes, they are big couch potatoes. Needless to say where they occupy space. They ride and rest well on the sofa. We walk them often on a leash at all times. However they are well behaved now that they are grown. Before as pups they did like to chew shoes and tv remotes we lost many. However, this happened at home or on the road. They are well house broken and can go 8-10 hours without accidents.

We travel in a 2013 Georgetown XL 378
Closed Thread

Tags
travel