Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Question Tripping outlet

We have a Birkshire 410 QS. Question is when we plug it into a GFI house outlet it keeps throwing the GFI. Is it because of the 110 outlet? It worked for a while and now everytime we plug it in it trips. Plugged other items into the same GFI outlet and no tripping problem. Need to keep some power to the MH. We also have it on a power boost box but dosen't seem to help. Hope I am clear with all the facts.

marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Head Rambler

The ground and the neutral in the MH isn't supposed to be connected but there are instances where they may be. You said it worked for a while, so I take it to mean that you could plug it in and the GFCI wouldn't trip but it does now.

The first thing I'd check is the electric water heater element. It's common for them to short the element to the case and trip the GFCI.

If it's not that, post back and we can guide you in another direction.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

I have the same problem with my 08 Georgetown 374TS. I have never been able to plug it into a garage outlet without tripping the GFI.
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Had an electrician out and he suggested using a heavier gauge extention cord. I think he said 17wire. Also told us to plug it into a different outlet. Going to try that. Next summer will put in a 30 amp outlet. Around 200$.
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialee View Post
Had an electrician out and he suggested using a heavier gauge extention cord. I think he said 17wire. Also told us to plug it into a different outlet. Going to try that. Next summer will put in a 30 amp outlet. Around 200$.
Use a#10 cord, but not smaller than a #12. Going with the 30 amp outlet worth the cost If you run the ac to (yard camp).
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
I bought a 100' "Rigid" brand 12awg cord at Home Depot. Really nice heavy cord used by tradesmen. It made a big difference when connecting my toy hauler to the home garage. I still could't run the Air Con because it was just too much draw along with the 'fridge and 6 computers. But I think that's reasonable.

The new cord did keep it from just tripping randomly.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhintoq View Post
I bought a 100' "Rigid" brand 12awg cord at Home Depot. Really nice heavy cord used by tradesmen. It made a big difference when connecting my toy hauler to the home garage. I still could't run the Air Con because it was just too much draw along with the 'fridge and 6 computers. But I think that's reasonable.

The new cord did keep it from just tripping randomly.
#12 is better than a lot of cord I have seen, but keep in mind to the shorter the cord. you have less voltage drop.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Head Rambler

The biggest issue is that if you're tripping the GFCI part of the receptacle you need to find out why. The size of the cord won't have an affect on that, and somethings not right. Either it's wired wrong from the factory or something has happened to cause a problem (i.e. water heater element).
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The biggest issue is that if you're tripping the GFCI part of the receptacle you need to find out why. The size of the cord won't have an affect on that, and somethings not right. Either it's wired wrong from the factory or something has happened to cause a problem (i.e. water heater element).
OR he has plug something new in the trailer that maybe tripping it in the TT I agree you need to check in to it more, But the size & length can be big issue with GFCI sometime, most all house GFCI are 15amp. The greater the voltage drop the higher the current load & surge. IT may not trip right away, but it will. This don't even take in to account the heating of the cord,plug Or the GFCI.

Manrialee are you using anything new in the trailer. (Elect. heater). Since you post it just started, You can do this simple thing to trouble shoot. Turn all breaker off in trailer & then plug in cord. Turn your breaker on one at a time. The 30 amp first & work your way down ,check your GFCI every time to see if it holds. IF it dose trip when you turn on a breaker. Check and see what on the breaker. IF it the GFIC holes then it is most likely a surge tripping . The combination of converter, refg, & anything else that may be on. IF the breaker trip the GFCI , runs the outside outlets on the trailer, check for water inside the cover (it should trip the tt GFIC, but sometimes the house GFIC trip first.)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #10

I have heard over the years of many folks having that same issue with their home gfci plug-in. Try a known outlet without the gfci circuit, and it should work fine. That is why campgrounds don't use that setup. Your camper does not have a earth ground; ie GFCI=Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. Your home electrical system requires outdoor outlets and bathrooms to have GFCI circuits. Since your RV of choice is portable, and you don't drive a copper rod in the ground at your campsite, and attach it to your converter's ground circuit-(nobody does), it stands to reason that the power supplied to you should come from a non GFCI plug. That is my thoughts on the subject; but I am definitely NOT an electrician! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #11

I have been a electrician for many year now, too many ready to full time rv. O8flagvlite your right to say there a big pain for RV shore power.The 15 amp GFIC outlets is really meant for lite load. The earth ground should not have a effect a the rig. The ground is isolated back to the main. IF everything is wire right it should work. The problem is your plugging a big load in to it. Long cords or bad plug & cord & x-overs are some of the problems too. I just wire a 20 amp sp. grade in for the home owner if he has #12 wire at the GFCI. IT helps with the surge load but not 100%. how many time has someone plug in a big saw or drill , hair dryer & tripped the GFCI, it that surge & load sometime is pick up by the GFCI as a fault & some rig do have a ground to neutral fault in there wiring sometime like Bama Ramber posted.

Tags
berkshire, surveyor