Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Tru Center wiring help

Hello all,

I PM'ed Gasman because I know he installed his, but until then, is anyone familiar with tapping into an open fuse slot and running it up to the left drivers console? I thought I had it figured out, but the wiring diagram has gotten the best of me. With the hardware included, it seems to be a stretch to do it the way they instruct you to.

Diagram is here https://www.etrailer.com/question-49175.html

My intent was to put the timer relay in the fuse bay. They included a very short wire with an inline 15 amp fuse that is supposed to go from the switch to the timer. If I use an open slot in the panel with a 15 amp fuse, is there a reason to use the inline?

Thanks,
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

JJ with my limited electrical experience you should be able to do that as long as you use the same size fuse supplied in the inline.

I love etrailer by the way. Nice people!!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

If you use an open slot in the fuse panel there is no reason to use the inline fuse. You say it is a stretch to install. If this relates to the length of the supplied wires being short they might have accounted for the length of the inline fuse wiring.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH

JJvike, Gasman helped me when I installed mine. For the electrical, I picked the middle fuse box on the white board facing out. This fuse box appears to be connected to the ignition. I tried to find the "jumpers" that FR used, but could not. I ended up using the bigger of the gold posts to jump a fuse that was already installed in the panel. The loop in the gold post fits around one of the legs on the fuse and the molds itself around the fuse. What you have left is a post sticking out the front side of the fuse, when it is inserted back into the spot from which it game. I then connected the hot wire to the post. I then ran a hot wire up through the insulation on the left side into the upper compartment. I ended up putting the relay in the compartment - left side of the driver. Took out the screws and put it in their. One thing that I did that worked really well, was to cut the hole for the switch, using a "step drill". A little expensive, but does a great job on the plastic. If you need more information, let me know. Gasman was a great help!! Craig

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH

JJ, also mine is double fused, as a result of what I did.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the input.

Campin, I didn't think I needed it.

Superchief, I want to use the same fuse box that you wanted to. My first slot is open and I intended on connecting on the backside of that box in the open white connector, then inserting a fuse. I'm not electrically inclined but found enough videos of people hard wiring accessories that I thought I could do it. Did you not have access to the back of the fuse panel?
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390BH

JJ - The other thing that was confusing about the electrical part of this, was the "double" post on one of the connections on the relay. I could not find any parts in the package that would allow that. I ended up getting a clean double post at the local NAPA store and it worked great. As I think about this again, I keep remembering different things. It took me a number of days thinking this through, before I finally got it hooked up. Craig

Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH

JJ, To access the back of the fuse panel, I took the board off (actually took out the screws) and laid it toward me. I was not able to find the clips that hold the fuses in the box, that FR used, here locally. That is why I used the post clip supplied on the front side of the fuse box. Craig

Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Hi,

I am also adding TruCenter (TC35270?) to my coach. I looked at the Blue Ox compatibility table and not sure which brackets I need for my 2014 400BH-360.

Can anyone who had it successfully installed share the part number that I need to get (TC-6011)?

Thank you,
Alex
Old 03-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Alex

I got the TC6011 and the TC35270 (It is the largest one). I have a 390BH-2011 . Hope that helps.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

Thanks Craig.

I assume 2011 and 2014 have the same chassis?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I believe that to be correct. Raised Rail, etc. One side of the bracket gets bolted to the frame and the other side is a "U" bracket that goes on the steering rod.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425414807.808777.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	70621

Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #13

Craig,

Thank you very much

Alex
Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Alex

I got the TC6011 and the TC35270 (It is the largest one). I have a 390BH-2011 . Hope that helps.

Craig

Superchief,

My 2008 Berkshire has a steering damper installed by Freightliner. Did your 2011 and did you remove it to install the true center?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Hi Silver,

Didn't have to remove anything to install it, except the bolts holding the bracket to the frame. I don't believe I have the damper.

Craig

Old 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #16
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Alex,

I tried to find some E-Mails that I had sent to Gasman and Mmnsc about my installation problems, in the past, but they disappeared. I don't know if this is applicable to you or not. I will give you the short version. I had an impact hammer when I started, but it was not big enough to loosen the bolts from the frame, so I could install the bracket. I ended up going to a truck garage and they installed the bracket for me ($40). If you install it yourself, you will need a high end torque wrench ($100). I also had to buy a step drill to install the button ($45). I also purchased some other small wiring things ($20). I know that Mmnsc (Marty) got his installed by Camping World for less than $100, but he doesn't have the nice new tools that I have. 😀👍 Hope that helps!

Craig

Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

Alex
I was fortunate to find a deal through Camping World. They had a free installation when buying the unit and bracket. The unit was on sale so i made out on both ends. The out the door cost $1150 and was done in less than 4 hours.
After hearing the horror story from Craig on his 3 day installation i knew there was no way this would be a DIY job for me. CW did a nice job of hooking up the electric and mounting the button on the dash. Good luck with what ever route you go.
Marty

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #18

I can get the unit with brackets online for about $915 shipped. I was quoted 1 and 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 hours of labor to have it installed @ $125/hour. Still beats Camping world "sale" prices even if installation was included of $1010 + $98 + tax.

Thanks for the input,
Alex
Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #19

Having someone do it for you no matter what it cost will be a blessing. I know you will see a marked improvement when in a cross wind situation.

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #20

I definitely hope so. I read so much about things that I can do to improve handling and tracking. I regularly travel through NE and WY. Last December we were hit by 50 to 70 mph cross winds when we crossed into WY.

I was very disappointed that there are no track bars for Berks.

Tags
wiring