Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Truma AquaGo now Standard!

From today's RV Business news:
Forest River Class A Diesel to Use the AquaGo

Forest River Inc.’s Class A Diesel division has made the decision to use the Truma AquaGo as the exclusive water heater on all models moving forward, the Elkhart, Ind.-based manufacturer announced in a release Monday (Oct. 17).

Jeff Babcock, general manager of Forest River Class A Diesel, came to the decision after discussions with members of his management team, Dave Carpenter and Mike Peterson.

“Our dealers and end users have been asking for a more consistent and reliable water heater. We have been using the Truma AquaGo in the Forest River Berkshire, Legacy and Charleston, and feel now is the perfect time to begin using it on all of our models because of the high quality and luxury it offers,” said Babcock.

Peterson added, “We want our customers to enjoy the pleasure of showering in their coach the way they do at home. The Truma AquaGo functions flawlessly at low flow rates and, with 60K Btu, it is the most powerful water heater on the market. It’s the only instant water heater in the industry that can be easily decalcified so our customers will continue to have a stress-free experience using this product for years to come.”
Gerhard Hundsberger, Truma’s president and CEO, said Truma is “grateful for this opportunity to work with Forest River Class A Diesel. We look forward to fortifying our partnership, supporting dealers and ultimately campers with the carefree hot water experience the Truma AquaGo offers.”
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

I was one of those who requested they look at the truma aquago, i'm sure one of many. The nice thing about the trauma is that with the right plumbing you can have instant hot water with the model that recirculates the water.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-81522-3.html
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

If it proves to be reliable I wonder if it can be retrofitted to previous model years
dsalmon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

The cover is different from the Atwood, so there would have to be some modification there. How complex a retrofit would be I do not know.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

The Gerard unit in my 34qs which is a second gen model has been reliable so far.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

Actually, the Gerard gen 2 in my 2015 40rb has been good so far also. I haven't used it a lot yet but some of the horror stories I read about the Gerard's had me scared when I bought it
dsalmon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Wonder what the difference is, I installed a Girard Gen 3, had the gen 2 , didn't get along with very good .None of these offer instant hot water , simple because flame has to come on and start the process , Aquago states it has no frost protection , Girard does .long story short, we really like the gen3, we've been out about a month now, use it everyday, mix cold to hot for showers etc. never fails. Girard customer service an tech support has been great to us. Just an FYI
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Attwood has freeze protection as well

Wayne
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #9

I upgraded to a Girard Gen 3 last year and it has been great so far.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

I also upgraded from the Girard Gen I to Gen III. No problem mixing hot and cold water. Works great - except!!! I just experienced a problem mentioned in a previous post, where it doesn't fire up and the heater's gas valves need to be tapped. I tried this and it works. This brings up the question for those that experienced this problem, is whether Girard has acknowledged the problem and is offering a fix.
Hank
Old 10-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I also upgraded from the Girard Gen I to Gen III. No problem mixing hot and cold water. Works great - except!!! I just experienced a problem mentioned in a previous post, where it doesn't fire up and the heater's gas valves need to be tapped. I tried this and it works. This brings up the question for those that experienced this problem, is whether Girard has acknowledged the problem and is offering a fix.
Hank
Yes Girard has acknowledged the issue. The fix is to replace the gas valve which is a warrantee item. The cause was the main on/off valve becomes weak after some use and sticks in the off position from time to time. They will send the part to a repair facility and pay them to replace it. I asked to have it sent to me, I changed it myself a couple days ago, was not too difficult as long as you can get to the back of the water heater easily which I can. Nice instructions come with the new valve. I could have lived with it as it was but decided to go for the fix.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Hank
Yes, same situation, I called girard tech support, they are aware, gave me an option , they could send part to one of there dealers or send me the part an I could do it myself. I did myself, two valves are one unit, came quick in the mail, they wanted old valve back and they paid for the return, I was very pleased with how girard handled it, has worked perfect ever sense
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #13

Update on Truma AquaGo

Went to Berkshire dealer today and got estimate:

It will cost $2,350 installed with a black door to somewhat match my coach

to replace the Atwood OD heater. What was interesting is that the dealer

told me to complain to FR, they know that there is a problem with Atwood

(that is why they are replacing the Atwood with Truma on all new coach's)

and just maybe they might help with some of the cost to replace (since it is

still under warranty).

Does anyone know who I would call/e-mail at FR to complain?

Joe
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Update on Truma AquaGo

Went to Berkshire dealer today and got estimate:

It will cost $2,350 installed with a black door to somewhat match my coach

to replace the Atwood OD heater. What was interesting is that the dealer

told me to complain to FR, they know that there is a problem with Atwood

(that is why they are replacing the Atwood with Truma on all new coach's)

and just maybe they might help with some of the cost to replace (since it is

still under warranty).

Does anyone know who I would call/e-mail at FR to complain?

Joe
(574) 295-2117 Mitch in warranty diesel division
Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAYALL View Post
(574) 295-2117 Mitch in warranty diesel division
Thank you, he will be getting a call..Did you read my other post about "Condensation in headlight" ?? would he be the one that I would complain too as well??
Old 12-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you, he will be getting a call..Did you read my other post about "Condensation in headlight" ?? would he be the one that I would complain too as well??

Joe I would definitely get Randy involved. Mitch would have to talk to Tandy anyway. Randy is the guy to get things done.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1481056833.472612.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	126286

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes. Anything that is not functioning correctly on your coach should be covered by your Warranty.

BTW, $2,300 sure sounds high for the Truma - their mid-tier comfort+ model can be had for $1,150 or so. It's a 3 hour (max) install so that's another $300, the door is @ $60 + paint to match should not cost more than $100 (it's a 15x15" square of metal after all).
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #18
Dragonship Captain

When I picked up my brand new unit the OD Atwood was delivering lukewarm water.... sort of. Went in to service and they doodled with it and got somewhat warm water going. Also explained that the water in the tank was 40º and that 90º-ish was all I was going to get.

Talked to Mike Bukowsky at FR and he told me in no uncertain terms they were NOT replacing my unit. He did put me in touch with a gentleman at Atwood who said he would be happy to talk a mechanic of my choice through the process of getting it to operate correctly..... hmmmmm.

I think Randy is next on my call list.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
When I picked up my brand new unit the OD Atwood was delivering lukewarm water.... sort of. Went in to service and they doodled with it and got somewhat warm water going. Also explained that the water in the tank was 40º and that 90º-ish was all I was going to get.

Talked to Mike Bukowsky at FR and he told me in no uncertain terms they were NOT replacing my unit. He did put me in touch with a gentleman at Atwood who said he would be happy to talk a mechanic of my choice through the process of getting it to operate correctly..... hmmmmm.

I think Randy is next on my call list.

Yes, me too, we should all call. Maybe they will help us out some...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Yes. Anything that is not functioning correctly on your coach should be covered by your Warranty.

BTW, $2,300 sure sounds high for the Truma - their mid-tier comfort+ model can be had for $1,150 or so. It's a 3 hour (max) install so that's another $300, the door is @ $60 + paint to match should not cost more than $100 (it's a 15x15" square of metal after all).
I asked them for their best Truma AquaGo model, told me around $1,800 plus the 4 hour max install and door fro the $2,350..
At some point in the spring, I have to do it, because my DW can not stand it anymore, or trade for the new XL 40C when it comes out next year.