Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 07:03 AM   #1

Trust a Truck Wash for a Motorcoach?

Newbie here...

Wondering if anyone has experiences (good or bad) with taking their motor coach to a truck wash drive-ups at truck stops?

Ideally I'd hand wash our 2021 Berkshire 34B, but I just don't have the time. RV detail companies are charging $300 and I'm not sure they are getting the roof at all.

What's an economical way to keep our Big Baby clean that is safe for the paint and components?

Help/opinions greatly appreciated.
Orcadirect44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

We have used Blue Beacon a few times with good results. They lower the water pressure for RVs. I think the price was about $60 for our 38 footer.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
We have used Blue Beacon a few times with good results. They lower the water pressure for RVs. I think the price was about $60 for our 38 footer.
Thank you. I will look for them in my area.
Orcadirect44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #4

According to their website the nearest one to you would be in Lodi.
I-5 & Hwy 12, exit 485
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcadirect44 View Post
Newbie here...

Wondering if anyone has experiences (good or bad) with taking their motor coach to a truck wash drive-ups at truck stops?

Ideally I'd hand wash our 2021 Berkshire 34B, but I just don't have the time. RV detail companies are charging $300 and I'm not sure they are getting the roof at all.

What's an economical way to keep our Big Baby clean that is safe for the paint and components?

Help/opinions greatly appreciated.
Find out if they use soap with lye it.. Mini truck washing soap’s have lye it it’s used as a degreaser it is been known to affect decals occasionally.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

I have used a Blue Beacon truck wash once for my 37 foot Class A with good results. One caution - if you have vents (like for access to back of appliances) tell them not to spray water directly into the vent.
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #7

I've used Blue Beacon for years! No problems at all on my Charleston 430BH!

They use hand sprayers and brushes, but i've never seen any damage from them.

The only thing I've cautioned them on is to watch out for my clothes dryer vent - it's only plastic and could break if hit hard. I've always asked them to be careful around it, and they always have.

I still get my rig hand washed and waxed every year or two, but Blue Beacon does a great job with the dirt and bugs for about $50...
Carl Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

Smile RV Wash vs Truck Washing

There are a few around but I would be careful of the high pressure and the brushes they use. There is a person on You Tube that uses big blue dust mop style cotton mop style that is a lot easier and quicker than hand washing. It comes with long extendable pole and wash and wax formula solution. I love it because you dry it at the same time. Here is a link. Be sure to buy extra bag of mop heads makes it easier. I love this system.

Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
jkoenig24

I've used Blue Beacon several times for my Super-C diesel puller. Prices are modest (compared to what "RV wash services" charge) and, I've generally been happy with the results. BB is usually VERY conveniently located right off exits of major Interstate highways.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #10

We did that in Naples Fla. The guy was very good. He came to the site and spent a good part of 4-5 hours washing and waxing the rig. We have a 38 foot A and he charged 10.00 per running foot. It was worth it.
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

At the truck wash when we had a Class C they used a power washer. They did a fairly good job but when the spray was directed over the cab we had water come in by the cab over rv and the roof of the coach. I was surprised it wasn’t as water tight as I expected.
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

We use Blue Beacon regularly...and they do a decent job for a low price ...BUT...they do not do the roof. I'm ok with that as only bad things can happen with openings and caulk and power spray. We usually buy a good wash & wax by hand of all surfaces once a year and rely on Blue Beacons when we are on the road.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
Flyboy1950

I started using Blue Beacon truck for our 2014 Wildcat Max TT about 3 years ago or more. I had to stop using them after about a year and a half because whatever cleaning chemicals they use in the wash spray totally dulled the glossy gel coat. It took several washes to show up, but it will eventually show up if you keep using them. I have nothing against BB, I thought the price was fair and they usually did a good job.

Now, I pay for a mobile RV detailed to wash it before each trip ($100 for wash only, but worth it considering what happened with BB washing). Then once a year I have the detailed wax the trailer. If you think about it, the cleaning solution that they use to clean the big rigs has to be pretty strong. My detailer said he has had several other customers that quit using BB because of their harsh chemicals damaging the shiny gel coat. I’d like to hear from an RV manufacturer about whether or not they recommend commercial truck washes.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #14
jkoenig24

"BUT...they do not do the roof."

The Blue Beacon locations I've used have ALL power washed the roof. It's been at least two years since I've used a BB; maybe they changed somewhat.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #15

We have traveled all over the US the past 3 1/2 years and have had the RV washed only at truck washes. Paid around $26 on the average with fine results. Paid an extra $5 for the tow vehicle to be washed too. All were exterior washes.
santarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #16

Blue Beacon here too. Just used the one in Las Vegas (at night is best then you can dry without the sun drying it) $39 for a 40ft. $13 for RainX (worth it) & $7.50 for Power tire dressing think they either forgot that or not worth it seen no difference.

They don't use acid, told them only brush the front and front window no brushes on anything else they we're a cool bunch seemed to do a good job I tipped the head guy $10, do others tip, think most do not?
tradventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:25 PM   #17

I've had my coach washed at Little Sisters in Eloy AZ several times with no problems. I've also had my coach washed at Award Winning Truck wash in Oakdale WI again, with no problems.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #18

I've heard of Blue Beacon before but there's only 2 in Florida I'm aware of and besides being too far to go, I don't thing they do Motorhomes but from they're own website they only rinse the roof "We apologize but due to safety concerns we do not wash the roofs of RV/Motorcoach units. We do rinse them.We apologize but due to safety concerns we do not wash the roofs of RV/Motorcoach units. We do rinse them."
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
There are a few around but I would be careful of the high pressure and the brushes they use. There is a person on You Tube that uses big blue dust mop style cotton mop style that is a lot easier and quicker than hand washing. It comes with long extendable pole and wash and wax formula solution. I love it because you dry it at the same time. Here is a link. Be sure to buy extra bag of mop heads makes it easier. I love this system.

I can vouch for this product as well! Wash Wax All does a great job on our coach. I won't say it was with almost no effort, but the end result is amazing. It isn't for when you need a heavy washing, but for all those in between times well worth it. I haven't tried BB but based on this thread, I probably would if I needed a very heavy wash job.
Andy n Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #20

Blue Beacon clearly states that their employees feet may NOT leave the ground. They have extended pressure wash wands that will spray the roof. They will not get on top and scrub.
Remember...... they are a TRUCK wash. Been using them to wash my truck for years. Not so much a camper......
Bobh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck