Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Type of oil

What type engine oil are you using in your Berk and where do u have your oil changes done??? Anyone used Speedco????
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #2

In my ISB 6.7 manual, Cummins says to use dinosaur oil up to the first 15,000 miles. So, I used Shell Rotella T5 15W40 for my first change, since it is mainly dino oil.

Since then, I'm running Rotella T6 5W40 which is fully synthetic. The price isn't bad (about C$120) when I buy it in an 18.9l pail (5 US gal) pail at Canadian tire, and on sale. If I got somebody to do the oil change for me, they would usually charge an enormous markup on the synthetic oil.

Make sure that the oil meets the Cummins spec CES 200081. There are other Cummins specifications for older engines, but this one is for the latest engines.

I do my own oil changes. It's not hard and you get to learn a lot about the RV. Also, I do my own grease jobs and learn even more.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

If I want to try this myself, do I have to remove the bedroom floor in order to get to the oil fill ??? Plus - what do u use to catch 25 qts of oil as I drain it???
Old 04-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

You fill the oil from a tube just above the radiator (brown cap on left side). The oil dipstick is on the right. Transmission oil and dipstick are on the right. Just open the doors at the back to the radiator.

Note that the oil filler tube and transmission tube are very high, so it is hard to tip a 4l jug into a funnel to fill. It works, but you are likely to spill.

I recently bought a hand pump and next time I'll pump it in for the oil. I was able to get a little flexible spout that screws onto the transmission filler jug (also 4L) and was able to top up that way.

Note that you will drain 15l of oil (if an ISB 6.7l) and more if a bigger engine. I've never found a drain pan that is big enough to hold it all. However, there are two drain plugs on the ISB 6.7. One is half way up the side of the pan and the other is on the bottom. Drain from the upper one first and empty the drain pan. Then drain from the bottom. Now it all fits.

There are very few things on the engine that require lifting the bed. Maybe a valve job after half a million miles.

–Gordon
Old 04-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

BTW, I've got two drain pans that hold 15l of oil each (that is about 16 quarts), so either would hold 25 quarts in a two step procedure. Check to see if your drain pan has to two drain plugs. I assume that you have an ISL and I'm not sure how their drain pan works.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

I have a Mercedes so I'll have to ck on the two drain plugs.... Also need to see how accessible the oil filters are....
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #7

Gordon..... Thanks for your help..... I figure I should be able to do this myself for around $100 vs the $400+ I'm being quoted by Freightliner/dealers.....
Old 04-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

You mean a Mercedes Sprinter with front engine? If so, my information is pretty far off.

If you have a DP (Freightliner is the hint), then I'm closer to being right. The ISB 6.7l has pretty accessible filters. Get a chain wrench to work off of a ratchet and an extension, since they are an arm's length away and you can't get leverage otherwise.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

No - I have the MBE 926 turbo diesel pusher.... 360 hp..... Absolutely love it... Super torque and milage....
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

Interesting engine. Did it come from the Detroit Diesel side (formerly GM) or the Mercedes Daimler side? Both are now part of the Daimler North America brand, which includes Freightliner.

Is it a post-2010 engine that uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid in its NOX after treatment system? The only thing I could see was just an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, which wouldn't impress Mercedes very much – they invented the DEF system and called it BlueTech. The only docs that I could find on the MBE 926 talked about EGR and not DEF.

Is your coach a Berk? I had thought they were all Cummins. I could be wrong, of course.

Anyway, the picture on the front page of the MBE 926 spec book at http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/MBE_926_specs.pdf seems to show two oil pan drain plugs, comparable to what I have on my Cummins. So, drain the top one first.

–cheers, Gordon
Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

Mine's a 2008 - no DEF.....
Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

Gordon....

I have no idea how many years Freightliner/FR put the Mercedes engine into Berkshires... I'm just happy I got one of them....
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #13

Mercedes Medium Duty Engine

You might want to have your engine checked and do oil sampling now. Mercedes only put these engines out for one year or a little longer. I had some in the fleet I was responsible for (2,500) plus medium duty trucks. We made over 250 acquisitions while I was there so I inherited a lot of units that I would not have purchased myself.
If you want more info please don't hesitate to message me.
THS Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

Hammer...

So are you telling me you wouldn't have purchased any units with this engine???? Not sure why because I've been nothing but pleased with it myself.... Great engine, great torque, super mpg..... It's just time for an oil change - just turned 42K miles so looking forward to MANY, MANY more...
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #15

You have to ask yourself why Daimler discontinued this engine in North America so soon after it's introduction
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #16

Hammer....

Not to prolong this with you (which I won't) but those of us that have this engine are pleased with it so let it go.... Nothing but glowing reports on line and from what I was told by a Detroit mechanic - Mercedes refused to put all the EPA crap on it as required by our government and ended the import of a super engine.... No response from you is necessary..... Thanks....
Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #17

Anyone else notice that THS Hammer has only been a member for 4 hours and has nothing listed but his name and city in Oklahoma????
Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Anyone else notice that THS Hammer has only been a member for 4 hours and has nothing listed but his name and city in Oklahoma????
I believe we all have to start somewhere.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

I appears that he has a 2014 Thor gasser. I don't understand why he has a problem with the Mercedes motor I have heard nothing but positive reviews on it. He does offer good advice in getting a oil sample done. This is something I have considered along with a transmission sample. There is a good discussion on IRV2 about transmission oil sampling.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #20

Thanks NM

So why did I join...because when I finish my cup of coffee I will be on the phone with our dealer to see if we can reach a deal to upgrade to a used Berkshire they have. Why no details...just joined yesterday! That's fixed now.
How do I try to politely share my extensive experience without being angrily responded to by the recipient.? Individuals who own this same engine are just that another sample of one. I had few of these engines (less than 200 out of 2500) only through acquisition - I was a Cat fan (not of their C 7 but that's another story) I was also a large enough end user to have direct access to the OEM's and that included engine manufacturers also my peers who also managed large fleets.
Daimler invented the DPF/DEF system so they could have added it to this engine family if they had wanted to. Cummins did successfully.
In my opinion this is not a good engine - I experienced more than one serious problem with these resulting in either expensive repairs or having to remove the unit from service and this was during their first year and one half of service.
I sincerely doubt that many of you have experience with over approximately 8,000 medium duty diesel power, Allison power trains.
I am sorry you felt bruised by my post. I will be more circumspect in the future.