Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Under sink water heater

I am thinking of installing an electric inline water heater under the kitchen sink. The DWs is complaining she doesn't like washing dishes in cold water as there is a long and wasteful delay to get hot water to the sink.
Has anyone does such an installation? If so what brand did you buy and how has it worked out for you?

Wayne
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

Cool idea. Will definitely follow this.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

So far I found one that would do the trick size and capacity wise and is 115 V but requires a 30 A breaker.

Wayne
Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

The 30 amp could be an issue. As long as you only used it when nothing else is running it would be ok but using it with the AC running could be sketchy. You could change the breaker but would need to make sure the wire will carry the load. Also you would likely need a GF on the line.
Keep us posted.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #5

Phil,
On a previous topic (don't want to hijack any thread) anything happening with the Berkshire FB page? Can't seem to find it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
The 30 amp could be an issue. As long as you only used it when nothing else is running it would be ok but using it with the AC running could be sketchy. You could change the breaker but would need to make sure the wire will carry the load. Also you would likely need a GF on the line.
Keep us posted.

Phil my intent was to use the GFI on the cabinet front by the sink which I think is either 15 or 20 A. But early in my research I have not found a heater in this range.

Wayne
Old 08-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

I take it that the problem must be the distance that the heater is from the kitchen sink. Is there a chase that you could run a pc. of pex back from the sink area back to the inlet of the heater ? In doing so you could install a circulator under the sink which could be 110 or maybe even low voltage. So if you had a pressure switch in conjunction with the circulator and turned it on just prior to the faucet being opened it would get the hot water to the sink before opening the faucet.

This idea might need to be tweaked but I think the concept would work so long as you can get a run of pex run back.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

Joe it's not really a problem but more a nuisance when we dry camp with the tankless heater. So hot water has to come from the heater in the rear to the manifold mid coach. An inline heater would provide hot water almost instantly until water from the heater gets to the sink.

Wayne
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Joe it's not really a problem but more a nuisance when we dry camp with the tankless heater. So hot water has to come from the heater in the rear to the manifold mid coach. An inline heater would provide hot water almost instantly until water from the heater gets to the sink.

Wayne

It's not so much the Gerard heater but the water system in general. I believe the system is worth the issue but it does take a roundabout way of getting to the sink. Dry camping is where you see it the worst. All the water hot or cold goes through the manifold.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

Wayne would circulating the water perhaps a minute prior to opening the faucet accomplish the same with out another heater? Systems similar to this are placed in homes often. Haven't picked up my coach yet and really had the opportunity to really scrutinize the goods yet so perhaps no way of getting the additional line run back.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater