Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

unusual furniture ware

I have a 2008 Berkshire and the furniture material is flaking off front seats and couches. Has this been seen in the past and can anything be done about it. I heard this is common with 2008"s.
Dennis Budreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

I don't know how common it is but I have heard of others having this issue. Not sure if anyone has posted on this topic before but you can try doing a search to see if it has been posted about.

And, welcome to the forums.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

What kind of material is it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=naug...g+caused+by+UV

Could be UV rays if a sun screen has not been used or it might be caused by cleaning agents.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

I have the same issue with my 2010 and it just started last month. My driver and passenger seats are shedding. I think there was a thread in the last couple of years. I think the seats are made by flex steel and the material is ultra leather. I am about to research to see if there is a remedy.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

I have the same problem, took front seats to a mobile upholstery vendor, and I was told that to reupholster the seats would cost about the same as new seats. They also told me that Hondas and Toyotas of the same year were having similar problems because of the material. The Flexsteel labels (you'll find them in the seat cushion springs) list them as vinyl, not ultraleather. I'm waiting on new seats (at my expense). They will be covered when the coach is not being used.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

unusual furniture ware

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I'll try the sales man as the coach was recently bought and this has happened rapidly since then, about one year. The coach had 16000 miles at time off purchase.
Dennis Budreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Furniture Fabric Problems

Dennis,

We have a 2008 and encountered the same problem. Bought the Coach new and the dealer did some minor repair (replaced a portion of the drivers seat cover). However that did not solve the problem, eventually we replaced the Driver and Passenger Seats with a better quality Flex-Steel and a better fabric. The vendor said there were some bad fabric runs from 2007-2009 and the peeling or popcorn effect was common. We are now seeing the same problem with the two sofas and will most likely replace them soon.

GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Our seats did the same, took them to a local upholstery guy who does cars and picked out a high quality fabric and he recovered them both for around $800. Flexstel would not do anything except say go back to FR and see what they would do.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #9

Glad we're not alone

Hi Everyone . . . since our motorhome was the only one we knew with this terrible fabric wear and flaking, we thought we were alone. So glad to hear it's not just us. I was thinking it was something we used to clean the furniture or how the coach was cared for prior to our obtaining it (we bought it as a leftover). Now I'm thinking it definitely must be a defective fabric used by Flexsteel. I noticed where someone posted that Flexsteel wants to take no responsibility for using this defective fabric. As with many of you, our coach is a 2008 . . . long out of warranty. Has anyone considered approaching Forest River about this problem? If so, how was it received? I am in the process of getting a price on reupholstering both front chairs and both sofas. I'm sure the cost will be $$$. I really don't think it's fair that we owners should have to absorb the full cost of correcting this problem. My fabric started breaking down in 2012, I purchased seat covers for the 2 front chairs (not really my first choice), and then I was amazing at how quickly the sofas deteriorated. We don't use our coach more than a few times a year. Would love to hear comments!
Kim Berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Our 2012 Georgetown is having the same issues with the captain chairs, recliner and couch - crummy material. We tried to get the dealer to replace the captain chair fabric and were successful after a long battle. However, they refused us any help with the recliner and couch.
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

Several years ago, the DW and I were looking for leather living room furniture. The Flexsteel dealer showed us a synthetic leather that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm glad we did not buy.

With what I surmise and have read, Flexsteel should own the problem. Too bad there is not a NHSTA for furniture such as they are forcing the car companies to replace the Takata air bags. I haven't heard of one person getting satisfaction from FR or Flexsteel for the problem.

What is needed is some form of class action - IMHO
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

One more thought!

Just like the thread "I saw a Berkshire", it would probably be beneficial to start a thread "Register Your Flexsteel Fabric Problem". I do not have the problem (yet!!!) in my 2012 Berk. If I did, I would take ownership of that thread.

Perhaps, such a thread could go viral an blossom to other models and other manufacturers, which could mean a large voice and pressure.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

There have been several stories about the fabric issue. The most believable one is that FR had made a deal with a fabric manufacture and had Flexsteal use that fabric. At least that's the story Flexsteal has told. No one steps up to get the issue fixed. It seems like it is 08 and 09 that had the issue. I have read on the forum that FR has stepped up and helped with replacement but not sure what the circumstances were. We didn't have any problem with ours I just hated the seat. I couldn't get comfortable so we replaced them and sold out old seat to Brad and Hall. I'm sure he has sold it by now. I think if you are the original owner you should get some help with a new cover. Have anyone asked Randy and been denied?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
There have been several stories about the fabric issue. The most believable one is that FR had made a deal with a fabric manufacture and had Flexsteal use that fabric. At least that's the story Flexsteal has told. No one steps up to get the issue fixed. It seems like it is 08 and 09 that had the issue. I have read on the forum that FR has stepped up and helped with replacement but not sure what the circumstances were. We didn't have any problem with ours I just hated the seat. I couldn't get comfortable so we replaced them and sold out old seat to Brad and Hall. I'm sure he has sold it by now. I think if you are the original owner you should get some help with a new cover. Have anyone asked Randy and been denied?
I had not thought of Brad and Hall taking the old seats. I don't remember seeing this option on their web site. I to would like a little more comfort. What kind of consideration did they offer for the old seats that were in like new condition? This may be something to follow up on while in Goshen.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

Phil, I have a friend with a 2010 Fleetwood, with the same problem. Yes, FR did select the fabric, but it was one of the many offerings from Flexsteel. I am sure that this issue exist across many different RV lines and manufacturers for that era.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I had not thought of Brad and Hall taking the old seats. I don't remember seeing this option on their web site. I to would like a little more comfort. What kind of consideration did they offer for the old seats that were in like new condition? This may be something to follow up on while in Goshen.
If I remember correctly Brad gave us 175 per chair. I thought it was a fair price for a reseller to offer.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

Hank you are probably correct in the fabric failure being wide spread. I never had a issue other than I found the stock seat very uncomfortable. I never looked into fabric issues other than reading whT some folks have had to deal with.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #18

FYI - The leather-like upholstery covering used by Flexsteel was "Ultra Leather". If you search the web for Ultra Leather Problems, you will find a lot of people with many different RV's that have problems with the fabric.

Here is just a few examples.......
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ultra-leather-flexsteel-seat-problems-198900.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/ultra-leather-repair-67988.html
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26341382/print/true.cfm
Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap2015 View Post
Our 2012 Georgetown is having the same issues with the captain chairs, recliner and couch - crummy material. We tried to get the dealer to replace the captain chair fabric and were successful after a long battle. However, they refused us any help with the recliner and couch.
If your furniture is like my 2012 GT it is made by Williamsburg out of Elkhart and not Flex Steel and yes, it is crap. A lot of GT furniture issues on this forum.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #20

unusual furniture ware

Anyone know if 2015 units are still made with fake leather