Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Upgraded HVAC?

We have at 2014 400BH and we are a bit disappointed with the heat pump and furnace set up to the point of considering a Newmar Ventana with the Oasis system and upgraded ducted heat pump systems.

Seems completely crazy because we are really happy with almost everything else. Does anyone know someone to talk with regarding upgrading these systems? Has anyone ever retrofitted an Oasis system to a Class A and/or quieter roof top heat pumps?

Thanks for considering the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 400BH-360
2014 Jeep GC Overland
Jetjdm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Which system do you have currently? Your dealer can upgrade to the 15btu units.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #3

We do currently have the 15k in the front. It's not a capacity issue with the roof units but more of the noise. Same with the furnaces... They are loud and don't work that well... Especially the one in the back.

Thanks again for the post and idea. Just trying to figure out if there are some other options? The cost wanted really be an issue if there was a noticeable improvement.

2014 Berkshire 400BH-360
2014 Jeep GC Overland
Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Did they change the systems from 2013 to 2014? I ask because our furnaces worked great over Christmas on our trip to Virginia. Lows got into the 20's. Heat pump struggled so we went with the furnace only. As far as noise, our A/C unit in the back seems louder than the front but that is due to the size of the bedroom more than anything else. If we go out into the living area, it's no louder than the front one. I guess I need to go to a show and see some others and check the noise levels. Good luck finding a replacement.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #5

My A/C units/Front Heat Pump are very loud also.

The furnaces are about 1/2 as loud. We have to run them if the temp gets below 40 outside because the Heat Pump doesn't work very well.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

I don't believe they changed it for 2014. It's not a capacity issue for us. It's a noise issue. We have a friend that has a DutchStar and you can barely hear is generator, HP, or furnaces run.. I realize it's another 100k for that coach... But we had a 50k 5th wheel and spent 4 times that with the Berk, which we love, but the noise on the overall HVAC is the same as the 5th wheel. I would think that there would be a better compromise? Maybe they did that with the 2015 units? I am heading into the dealer next week to check our the 2015 and the 2015 Ventana BH. I just wish that we could spend some $$$ and upgrade what we have. We just have all the bugs out of a new coach and the thought of buying another makes me not real happy. At the end of the day, it's our fault for not spending time running the HVAC and generator during the purchase decision. I still think we got great value in our BERK, I just need to find the right upgrades to the HVAC systems.

2014 Berkshire 400BH-360
2014 Jeep GC Overland
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

My 2014 has two 15K heat pumps that I special ordered when I ordered the coach that are a bit noisy also. The way I work mine so it doesn't wake us up while sleeping when it kicks on is to leave the fan on Med instead of auto so it is a constant noise and it puts us right to sleep. As for heat, I use three space heaters instead of the furnaces or heat pimps and it keeps the coach around 70 to 73 even when it gets in the low 20's. I have used the heat pumps in the 30's and they keep up just fine. But I have to keep the fan on auto so it doesn't throw cold air on us and we then hear it kick on and off which does wake us up so the space heaters are the way to go for us.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

I hate the noise as well and being in Arizona I'd like a third a/c. Our furnace is not loud at all... I remember I had it set wrong like fan on or off auto and it was loud and turned in roof unit. HP are a joke in hot or cold weather IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

I do the same as Jason, whether it's the heater or A/C I have the fan "on" instead of auto. The constant noise drowns out my snoring and it also drowns out any outside noises from neighbors.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #10

While in bed, I set the living room a couple degrees higher or lower depending on HP or AC. So the bedroom unit rarely comes on since it is all ducted.

Tags
upgrade