Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Hey Bama, I don't want to speak for Maria, but I believe the 410qs was a limited run coach with a (425hp?) motor among other things. It may have been on another chassis, which could explain the smart wheel. Interestingly, there was an earlier Charleston model 410qs. Maybe the limited run 410qs Berks were based on some leftover 410qs Charleston chassis before they were model year upgraded. Just thinking out loud here....

Rich
Makes sense .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Hey Bama, I don't want to speak for Maria, but I believe the 410qs was a limited run coach with a (425hp?) motor among other things. It may have been on another chassis, which could explain the smart wheel. Interestingly, there was an earlier Charleston model 410qs. Maybe the limited run 410qs Berks were based on some leftover 410qs Charleston chassis before they were model year upgraded. Just thinking out loud here....

Rich
At the end of the run for the Charleston when they went to a tag axle, they used the left over Charleston chassis for Berkshires. Some may have a Mercedes engine. I think that Rich has hit the nail on the head here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Rich,

And good thinking it is!! Being new to the Berk, I don't have the model history you long-time owners do

Still, as Joe's email from Dan suggests it *can* be done, it's just a matter of how costly is it and is that cost worth it to you
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #24

Speaking of Newmar...

I went over to the Newmar site out of curiosity and good grief! They have more options on the Ventana than there are in a SEC Football Playbook

I wonder what one of those suckers would cost if it were dressed to the max? -- I'm guessing
Old 12-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #25

I would think that most buyers of new coaches, buy what is on the lot, without special ordering options.

Dealers stocking their inventory, picks options that would attract buyers and at the same time keep the price low.

As for the Smart Wheel, it should be standard. Yes, the term Smart Wheel sounds exotic, but it really isn't.

FR, get rid of the Dumb Wheel! Hank,

Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I went over to the Newmar site out of curiosity and good grief! They have more options on the Ventana than there are in a SEC Football Playbook

I wonder what one of those suckers would cost if it were dressed to the max? -- I'm guessing

The highest priced one I've seen was right at $348K MSRP.

Google Ventana order form. You can see all the options available on the order form and price one out for yourself. The Ventana with 43xx are the most expensive because they are 43 footers.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #27

OK I am surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
The highest priced one I've seen was right at $348K MSRP.

Google Ventana order form. You can see all the options available on the order form and price one out for yourself. The Ventana with 43xx are the most expensive because they are 43 footers.
CC,

Thanks - hard to believe that the Ventana costs out the same as a loaded XLT (it does though).

I am guessing that Newmar dealers do not offer much discount off of the MSRP?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #28

Bob from what I have read from owners, it's not unusual to get 25% to 30% off MSRP on a Newmar.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

BamaBob, simple solution, find and buy one with the Smart wheel regardless of brand if it means that much to you.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
BamaBob, simple solution, find and buy one with the Smart wheel regardless of brand if it means that much to you.
Sorry Neil, I'm too much of a Forest River fanboy to jump ship

Besides if you don't complain & ask, the Diesel Division won't know it's a popular request
Old 12-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #31

x2 with the Forest River fan....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Sorry Neil, I'm too much of a Forest River fanboy to jump ship. Besides if you don't complain & ask, the Diesel Division won't know it's a popular request
Logic says it would be better to complain to Forest River Diesel Division where you know it will be heard than on a forum. JMHO
Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Logic says it would be better to complain to Forest River Diesel Division where you know it will be heard than on a forum. JMHO
However, common sense says it would be like shouting in the wind and a big waste of time. FR making the Dumb Wheel Smart, down the road for future buyers isn't going to help me.

I am royally p#ss#d that the Berkshire doesn't have high beam flash capability and I think every one would also be p#ss#d if they bought a brand new car and then later found out it didn't have windshield washers, IMO
Hank
Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
However, common sense says it would be like shouting in the wind and a big waste of time. FR making the Dumb Wheel Smart, down the road for future buyers isn't going to help me.

I am royally p#ss#d that the Berkshire doesn't have high beam flash capability and I think every one would also be p#ss#d if they bought a brand new car and then later found out it didn't have windshield washers, IMO
Hank
TOWTA's old junker 96 Deville doesn't have the high beam flasher either, but after I got an A** chewing from an Arkansas state patrolman (1991 timeframe) that told me it was not a wise thing to do as it will temporarily blind/startle the oncoming vehicle, I quit doing it, so I don't miss it a bit.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #35

Quote:
TOWTA's old junker 96 Deville doesn't have the high beam flasher either, but after I got an A** chewing from an Arkansas state patrolman (1991 timeframe) that told me it was not a wise thing to do as it will temporarily blind/startle the oncoming vehicle, I quit doing it, so I don't miss it a bit.
But if you are on a divided highway and a trucker let you pull in a while back and he now wants in your lane; it is certainly nice to pay back the favor, back off to leave him some space and give a flash to pull in. Lights are a form of communication, just as the directional signals are.
Hank
Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:

Hank

Hank, maybe I'm missing something here, but don't high beams flash by partially pulling back turn signal stick?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #37

Yes they do. We also have windshield washers. You don't have a wash function Hank?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Hank, maybe I'm missing something here, but don't high beams flash by partially pulling back turn signal stick?

Rich

I did not know about this feature. I'll have to check mine.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
But if you are on a divided highway and a trucker let you pull in a while back and he now wants in your lane; it is certainly nice to pay back the favor, back off to leave him some space and give a flash to pull in. Lights are a form of communication, just as the directional signals are.
Hank
Truckers usually just turn their lights on and off as way of "Thank you". That's what I do to tell them they are clear to come over in my lane.

FWIW, years ago the dimmer switch was on the floor. Had to use the light switch to acknowledge. Floor switch was way to slow.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #40

To my knowledge, the high beam does not flash with the headlights off. I'd like to have someone say that is not the case, however.
Hank

Tags
wheel