Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Does anyone else have their washer that smells(stinks)? If so how did you get rid of the smell our has smelled and and ruined clothes since it was 6 months old. We used it 2 to 3 times a week. I've tried bleach, vinegar, wash machine cleaner nothing seems to work.
You mat want to try and clean the inside of the rubber door seal, front end loaders are famous for collecting moisture / water there and it becomes stagnant. Everytime we use ours we wipe the inside of the door seal and leave it open for the better part of the day (if we can) so fresh air can get to it and help dry it out.
This is also true with full size front loaders at home.

Hope this helps

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #22

We've done that still smells.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #23

Quote:
We've done that still smells.
That's the only thing I had to offer, hope you figure it out

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #24

Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if the smell is coming from the gray water tank or something. I guess I'll have to pull it out and see.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if the smell is coming from the gray water tank or something. I guess I'll have to pull it out and see.

Accumack
You might be right. There is a vacuum break valve on top of the drain pipe after the P trap. The diaphragm sometimes dries out or get link in it keeping it open and allows gases come in from the gray tank especially if you leave the tank drain valve open. You can buy replacement valves at Hpme Depot or Lowes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #26

We get the grey tank smell in the coach occasionally as Marty says. But it has never affected the clothes we put in it. After we run the washer, the smell goes away immediately.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
Paulie Boy - can you send me the model #'s of your Whirlpool washer/dryer. After all I've read, the stackable unit seems to be the best of us.

Thanks,
Fred

I'll get you those today. DW is still sleeping.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Does anyone else have their washer that smells(stinks)? If so how did you get rid of the smell our has smelled and and ruined clothes since it was 6 months old. We used it 2 to 3 times a week. I've tried bleach, vinegar, wash machine cleaner nothing seems to work.
Ours was doing something similar. Finally solved the problem by leaving the washer door open after we use it so it will dry out. Just leave it cracked open and the moisture will evaporate.

On another note, if it happens to be the gray tank, pour some Thetford Grey Water odor control (15842) down all your drains. Works like a champ.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Assuming it is not your gray tank (see below), it is probably mildew/humidity created by the washer. Get one of these and hang it in your laundry closet (or better yet put it in your washer between loads). The tip about leaving your washer door open is also a good idea.

Dennis is right - this can occur in a S&B Front loader as well.

Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Home & Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
Ours was doing something similar. Finally solved the problem by leaving the washer door open after we use it so it will dry out. Just leave it cracked open and the moisture will evaporate.

On another note, if it happens to be the gray tank, pour some Thetford Grey Water odor control (15842) down all your drains. Works like a champ.
Here is our "home Brew" Tank treatment - it works equally well in both the black and gray tanks. keeps the sensors cleaned and the tanks smelling April Fresh
Equal parts of:
Pine-Sol
Calgon *Liquid* Water softener
Super Clean degreaser

I mix up a batch of this and store it in a 2 Gal pop-top water bottle. I put 4-6 OZ in the tanks after every dump.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Accumack
You might be right. There is a vacuum break valve on top of the drain pipe after the P trap. The diaphragm sometimes dries out or get link in it keeping it open and allows gases come in from the gray tank especially if you leave the tank drain valve open. You can buy replacement valves at Hpme Depot or Lowes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Had this issue with my coach, although I don't have a W/D setup. I just pulled out the valve and flushed it with water and made sure that I soaked the diaphragm. Here is the vent. I now keep a spare in the coach.
Oatey 39012 ABS In-Line Vent, Black - Plumbing Hoses - Amazon.com

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #31

Wanting to add a washer/dryer to new-to-me 2014 Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
Paulie Boy - can you send me the model #'s of your Whirlpool washer/dryer. After all I've read, the stackable unit seems to be the best of us.

Thanks,
Fred

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449673043.973442.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	95830Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449673066.297360.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	95831

Here you go Fred. Another trick is to keep gray tank valve open when running the washer. Bama Bob's concoction works really good although we don't use in the black tank. We use Rid-X in the black.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Attachment 95830Attachment 95831

Here you go Fred. Another trick is to keep gray tank valve open when running the washer. Bama Bob's concoction works really good although we don't use in the black tank. We use Rid-X in the black.

Actually, Paul, we use another Chem dispenser for the toilet (I still put the brew in every tank dump to keep the sensors clean though).

You will REALLY like this gadget - one of the first mods I will do to our Berk:

Chemical Dispensing Systems for RV & Marine | Blue Streak LLC
Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #33

Black tank I use the GEO method and it works great I guess I should put some down the gray.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Actually, Paul, we use another Chem dispenser for the toilet (I still put the brew in every tank dump to keep the sensors clean though).

You will REALLY like this gadget - one of the first mods I will do to our Berk:

Chemical Dispensing Systems for RV & Marine | Blue Streak LLC

Bob, I can't see anything where it says it breaks down waste and A-wipes?

Paul
Old 12-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Black tank I use the GEO method and it works great I guess I should put some down the gray.

Ok Jim I'll bite; what is the GEO method.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #36

The Geo Method
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #37

If you have problems going through the door u can always use the emergency exits. I've brought in and out the front emergency window 2 refrigerators and a chair /half folding bed. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebaron View Post
If you have problems going through the door u can always use the emergency exits. I've brought in and out the front emergency window 2 refrigerators and a chair /half folding bed. Jim

Just make sure you measure first. On mine the overhead cabinet hangs down far enough that they need to be removed also. A major PIA.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Bob, I can't see anything where it says it breaks down waste and A-wipes?

Paul,

It really doesn't break down stuff

Then again, it's a holding tank not a septic system

In all seriousness Paul, it is really doubtful that the Rid-x you are using will have time to break anything down in the several days between dumps.

The GEO method is the way to go for stinky slinky systems.

As for toilet paper clumping/clogging. We have used Charmin 2-ply toilet paper for over 20 years in our RV holding tanks with zero issues (using the Geo method)

The A-wipes - even the flushable ones - howver, have concerned me. I HAVE heard of them clogging systems up

As gross as it may sound, we put our A-wipes in the bathroom trash and tightly tie the bag up and throw in the dumpster (and before the solid waste police try to write me a ticket consider: where to you think parents are putting disposable diapers? )

For trash liners we just reuse the plastic shopping bags we seem to collect in endless quantities LOL.

Having said all this, we are STRONGLY leaning toward a bidet toilet seat in our Berk. We were introduced to these gadgets when we lived in Europe and, before you dismiss them, read this article from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/30/te...hout.html?_r=0

This will eliminate the need for A-Wipes and, personal experience attests it will virtually eliminate TP use. (Dw will still want TP for the tinkle )

This is the bidet we are considering:

Buy The Bio Bidet Bio Bidet BB-1000 Supreme Bidet Toilet Seat | Bidet.org

I like the fact that it has a wireless remote rather than controls mounted on the toilet lid like some models do.

The analyst in me figures @ an average of $20/month in TP & A-Wipe expenses, ROI versus toilet paper purchase happens in 2 years; the bidet has a 3 year warranty, but the one we used in Germany was a year old when we moved in and we used it for the 3 years we lived there with zero problems.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #40

Bob, all I can say is...Holy Crap!

Tags
2014, berkshire