RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Warm Refrigerator

Hardly a news flash but I've never been very happy with our Dometic four door refrigerator. The temps in hot weather have been a challenge from day one and never had anyone give much help with it. We are in Fl and the temps are averaging 80-84 the last week or so. The fridge was up to 45 and I decided to get the ladder out and take another look. The top vent was where I found a issue. The insulation which is the pink fiberglass was laying on top of the top cooling coil. I thought this was ok but when I got a closer look I could see that air was restricted from going around the coil like it should. I couldn't find a good way to fix it so I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit and slide it on top of the coil. It keeps the insulation 3-4 inches from the coil and has so far kept the temp in the 35-37 range.
Its worth a look if you are having problems. The cardboard might not be the perfect fix but will do until I get home. The next step will be to add another fan{there are two now] but I'm hopeful this will do it.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
I don't have any problems with mine, but this is a great tip. Thanks for posting.
__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Hardly a news flash but I've never been very happy with our Dometic four door refrigerator. The temps in hot weather have been a challenge from day one and never had anyone give much help with it. We are in Fl and the temps are averaging 80-84 the last week or so. The fridge was up to 45 and I decided to get the ladder out and take another look. The top vent was where I found a issue. The insulation which is the pink fiberglass was laying on top of the top cooling coil. I thought this was ok but when I got a closer look I could see that air was restricted from going around the coil like it should. I couldn't find a good way to fix it so I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit and slide it on top of the coil. It keeps the insulation 3-4 inches from the coil and has so far kept the temp in the 35-37 range.
Its worth a look if you are having problems. The cardboard might not be the perfect fix but will do until I get home. The next step will be to add another fan{there are two now] but I'm hopeful this will do it.
Might try Lowes/HD for some alum. flashing you can cut with scissors in lieu of the cardboard. Where are you in FL?
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Hardly a news flash but I've never been very happy with our Dometic four door refrigerator. The temps in hot weather have been a challenge from day one and never had anyone give much help with it. We are in Fl and the temps are averaging 80-84 the last week or so. The fridge was up to 45 and I decided to get the ladder out and take another look. The top vent was where I found a issue. The insulation which is the pink fiberglass was laying on top of the top cooling coil. I thought this was ok but when I got a closer look I could see that air was restricted from going around the coil like it should. I couldn't find a good way to fix it so I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit and slide it on top of the coil. It keeps the insulation 3-4 inches from the coil and has so far kept the temp in the 35-37 range.
Its worth a look if you are having problems. The cardboard might not be the perfect fix but will do until I get home. The next step will be to add another fan{there are two now] but I'm hopeful this will do it.
Great trouble shooting. 34 degrees is the low end of cooling in a fridge and 45 degrees is the very top end, I say you corrected the issue
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Great trouble shooting. 34 degrees is the low end of cooling in a fridge and 45 degrees is the very top end, I say you corrected the issue
I have 2 fans at the bottom of the frig, just above the burner chamber and 2 fans inside the frig. Freezer runs consistently around 4°-11° and the frig runs consistently from 31°-34° with the temp control set @ 3, which is mid range on the Norcold.

IMO, the fans at the bottom work better than those at the top, but have no data. Just think cooling the whole tube assy is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	45809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	45810  
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Might try Lowes/HD for some alum. flashing you can cut with scissors in lieu of the cardboard. Where are you in FL?

Good idea on the alum there is. Home Depot up the road I will check it out. We are at Silver Palms in Okeechobee. Nice place Nd nice people. Here until 3/20. I fly to Mi this weekend for 3 days. What am I thinking.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mmnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston County SC
Posts: 712
Phil
Did you have the same problem with your refridgerator before they put the new roof on your MH?
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Yes from day one. I had the dealer look at it and they found dotting wrong. I did seem much worse on this last trip but it's hot and humid so we just thought here we go. I was going call Randy to get a price to put a residential fridge in.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mmnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston County SC
Posts: 712
Phil
What size invertor do you have? When I inquired I was told I would need to change my invertor to a much larger one at a very high cost just for the invertor. At goshen when my refrig had to be removed the rep from Dometic came over to inspect the unit and found the LPG nozzle had to be replaced. Once that was done the refrig cools much better when on gas.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Marty I would need to also change the inverter and if have no idea what it would cost. Lots more than I want to spend I'm sure. I'm back to 38 overnight so my problems may not be over. It's on electric so the LP shouldn't enter into the problem. I guess I will watch it to see what happens. It's better than it was. I have the temp set on 5 and overnight the temps were 70 so it should be down to 33-34.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Phil
What size invertor do you have? When I inquired I was told I would need to change my invertor to a much larger one at a very high cost just for the invertor. At goshen when my refrig had to be removed the rep from Dometic came over to inspect the unit and found the LPG nozzle had to be replaced. Once that was done the refrig cools much better when on gas.
My Dometic runs on 12 volts so I don't understand where the inverter would be a consideration. For 120 volt home fridges, obviously, but not 12 volts. At least my understanding.

When mine first had the "bubble" lodged in the coil, the tech installed the alum baffles, saying that FR messed up by NOT installing them at the factory. Didn't fix the problem, but probably was still a good idea.

'Course that tech had a VERY bad attitude, so his info could be suspect.
The guy actually "went off" on me, so I'd never use him again. He is in Apache Junction, AZ BTW, so watch out for him and his extremely bad attitude if you're ever down that way.

Actual fix was a simple whack on the coil (done by a another tech; a good one) to dislodge the bubble. Been a perfect 34 ever since.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Carrollton, Ohio
Posts: 744
I too have not been happy with the Dometic refrigerator in the heat. I installed 5 computer fans in the vent shaft behind the refrigerator. Two above the coils on the back and three at the top of the shaft of the vent. i built a platform to slide the unit out onto. I ordered the fans, a 12v AC/DC 2 amp unit to power the fans, 48 and 72 inch cables to run from a velcro control module ($3.95) and put in a switch and plate in the panel underneath the refrigerator to turn on and off. i used Blue LED fans to see the glow so that i could tell they were on. i ordered everything from Coolerguys.com. i spent about $56 total. It all looks good and the unit will stay between 25 and 37 degrees. I used 5 fans to make sure that in 100 degree temps at the beach that everything stayed cold. The fans should be a high CFI number. Mine are about 72 - 85 CFI per fan. Let me know if anyone needs any additional info.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Boo the inverter reference was talking about replacing the 12v with a residential fridge. OKI if you have more info I would love it. Pictures and install for Dummies would be great. In the mean time I'm going to go give the coils a good whack!



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo the inverter reference was talking about replacing the 12v with a residential fridge. OKI if you have more info I would love it. Pictures and install for Dummies would be great. In the mean time I'm going to go give the coils a good whack!
Just don't WHACK too hard. Maybe a rubber mallet??

And the tech told me to NEVER tell Dometic that he'd done it!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Funny the guy across the street had four techs put in a res fridge today. Interesting to watch it go it through the window. I don't think it would be a DIY project at least for me.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Tom I know that you have a 2000 watt inverter but do you still have the 4 six volt batteries?
Also does anyone know if the inverter would be just "plug and play" so to speak or would there be any special wiring to do? Most likely not going to do it at this point but I would like to know the options.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,325
Phil,
Yes, I have 4 6 volt batteries but they are taller than the normal battery. Not sure if they are more amp hours than the regular batteries. The wiring for the batteries looks the same as on my '08 coach. The inverter should be a 'plug and play' change out.
Hope this helps.
Tom
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14
Cooling on the larger Dometic RV fridges is a problem. My Sanibel 3500 fifth wheel never cooled from day one in temps above 80. I made a nice baffle at the top to help air out, installed extra fans. I even mounted a box fan at the top outlet ( on top of a large step ladder ) to see if that would help when I was trying to fix it at home. Above 80 it just won't maintain a safe temp for food storage. We would put bags of ice in it to keep it at a better temp. I had a lot of headaches with this and I suspect there is no real fix.

BUT....I just fixed it. It will be traded in Friday on a new Berkshire 400 QL with the residential refrigerator.
__________________
2014.5 Berkshire 400 QL
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Cooling on the larger Dometic RV fridges is a problem. My Sanibel 3500 fifth wheel never cooled from day one in temps above 80. I made a nice baffle at the top to help air out, installed extra fans. I even mounted a box fan at the top outlet ( on top of a large step ladder ) to see if that would help when I was trying to fix it at home. Above 80 it just won't maintain a safe temp for food storage. We would put bags of ice in it to keep it at a better temp. I had a lot of headaches with this and I suspect there is no real fix.

BUT....I just fixed it. It will be traded in Friday on a new Berkshire 400 QL with the residential refrigerator.
Well that's a good way to fix the problem, I like that. I use to keep TT til I ran out of propane then traded up, RV's or Boats seems we are always trading up....Good luck with your new MH...
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
EJM4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg - PA
Posts: 516
My fridge will warm up while we travel?? regardless if running on LP or generator.
__________________
Earl
2013 Berkshire 390BH / 360hp
EJM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.