Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #21

Mine nearly doubled and I am also with GMAC/Good Sam. TT not nearly as much as yours, but the point is still there.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #22
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

Just changed to 21st Century from GMAC saved 34%
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #23

the Hartford, thru AARP - don't leave home without it.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #24

a bit OT, but......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Just a follow up to my original posting-
After some back and forth with GMAC, we heard back that the rate is what it is because they had 'recoded' our motor home. Not sure what that means except that it was their way around the state insurance agency's regulations on how much they can increase rates in a given year. So, instead of being able to raise the rates between 11% and 15 % (the increase approved by the state), by 'recoding' our motor home they were able to raise our rates over 60%.
We have had a motor home since 1984 and NEVER have we had such a large increase in premiums. I don't know how GMAC can get away with this. Hopefully GMAC will lose a good many customers after reading about my problem with them and people will move to other insurers.
You can be sure, because of this huge increase, we will not be renewing with GMAC.
Beware of GMAC for ANYTHING. I just HAD to sell a home in Colorado because the FORCED me to put flood insurance on it, even though I was not in a flood zone and they knew it. I probably could have fought it in court, but didn't want the hassle. It was just another way of raising more money for their VERY poorly run (and therefore unprofitable) company,

My mortgage payment went up so much ($200 per month) that I could no longer afford the home. I was going to just let them forclose, but luckily I found a buyer at the last second. Still I lost $75K. As far as I'm concerned GMAC is the lowest of the low, when it comes to how they treat their customers.

They simply used that trick to help offset losses from other bad management decisions. I assume they did it on thousands and thousands of mortgages. During the life of the mortgage I had never been so much as one day late on ANY payment.

Your government at work folks....... They are the ones that allow mortgage companies to get away with this crap. Once again, beware of GMAC for ANYTHING.

Just my $.02 worth.

Boowho
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #25

Boowho,
Couldn't agree with you more!! GMAC is 'the pits' as far as I am concerned. They use a form of bait and switch when it come to their insurance. Give you a good rate for a year or so and then sock it to you!! Good old Marcus Lemonis (or one of his lackeys) send me this email that they will look into it and guess what, I get a 'sorry about that but that is the way it is' response. Well they just lost another customer!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
phat phrog stunt crew

isnt gmac part of general motors? read into it what you want.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post
Mine nearly doubled and I am also with GMAC/Good Sam. TT not nearly as much as yours, but the point is still there.
Check out State Farm. They've been wonderful with the 2 claims we've had. My agent is in Riverbank, CA.

Jake Harless
209-869-8100

We play less then 12.00 per month for the trailer. We get a discount because we have everything with them.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
isnt gmac part of general motors? read into it what you want.
I believe GMAC WAS sold to some other company 2 years ago during the GM bankruptcy?????
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I believe GMAC WAS sold to some other company 2 years ago during the GM bankruptcy?????

FYI Profits in G.M.A.C. Bailout to Benefit Financiers, Not U.S. - NYTimes.com
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Beware of GMAC for ANYTHING. I just HAD to sell a home in Colorado because the FORCED me to put flood insurance on it, even though I was not in a flood zone and they knew it. I probably could have fought it in court, but didn't want the hassle. It was just another way of raising more money for their VERY poorly run (and therefore unprofitable) company,

My mortgage payment went up so much ($200 per month) that I could no longer afford the home. I was going to just let them forclose, but luckily I found a buyer at the last second. Still I lost $75K. As far as I'm concerned GMAC is the lowest of the low, when it comes to how they treat their customers.

They simply used that trick to help offset losses from other bad management decisions. I assume they did it on thousands and thousands of mortgages. During the life of the mortgage I had never been so much as one day late on ANY payment.

Your government at work folks....... They are the ones that allow mortgage companies to get away with this crap. Once again, beware of GMAC for ANYTHING.

Just my $.02 worth.

Boowho
So much of this just makes no sense.

1. For a few hundred dollars, a licensed surveyor can make a determination and give you an elevation certificate. With this doc, if you are not in a flood zone, it's a slam dunk of an appeal.

2. Even if you were in a zone, insurance is really cheap - I was paying $500 a year in Florida - that's about as bad as it gets for flooding folks! If they were charging you $200 a month, then that was a force-placed policy which is done after several letters and notifications and basically your refusal to do something.

3. So you took a $75k loss because you didn't want to pay an extra $200 a month? I call b.s. on that on it's face.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can comment on what was spun off when, but I think GMAC mortgage is separate from the GM finance and Chrysler auto finance units that were packaged together and sold off as Ally Bank. Ford finance I believe is still owned by Ford because they took a $9 billion in government "loans" so that Ford wouldn't go under or take a "bailout". Brilliant the way they played that so the gullible would keep buying Fords over other brands for that reason.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's a damn same you couldn't do a refi. with another lender. It would be nice if you could save it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Might be a good time to close this thread before it gets political which is where it it headed.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #33

Nothing political about it. Just seek out the truth if you can find it.

Here is interesting food for thought.

Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford | The Truth About Cars
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
Graduate Member

Progressive - VERY affordable, excellent service. Put me down for a vote with them - and we have both cars, house and the RV with them. Love them.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
phat phrog stunt crew

havent had any trouble with allstate. at least not yet. wasnt trying to be political with my statement, just thinking outloud.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #36

We have ours with GEICO..... and I have to say they have been great with everything. No issues with Auto/Home or RV.... and it's very reasonable on the price...
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
havent had any trouble with allstate. at least not yet. wasnt trying to be political with my statement, just thinking outloud.
Wasn't trying to be political either, but apparently some took it that way.

Best leave it at that, right?? 8-)

Having said that, GMAC is still a bunch of ----heads, but if anyone wants to deal with them the have a blast. I choose to boycott them forever.

I did re-read you comment about them "re-coding" your policy. That's "weasel speak" for bend over and grab you ankles.

That's very similar to what they said on my flood insurance; they had "re-classified" my home as being in a flood area, even though for five previous years of the loan, they had no problems with it.

They had TWO flood certs from five years earlier that proved I was NOT in a FZ, but they said they didn't care about that, their decision was final.

All my arguments fell on deaf ears; basically they were confiscating $200 of my money every month, and that was THAT.

boowho??
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
It's a damn same you couldn't do a refi. with another lender. It would be nice if you could save it.
Grayfox, I may have mislead..... I was trying to sell the house anyhow. It's just that their nastiness forced me to do it whether I was ready to accept an offer or not.

The timing of finding a buyer right then was fortuitous and I WAS ready to accept the offer. It had been on the market for 3 years with almost no interest at all.

But the way they acted was extremely arbitrary...... Do it or ELSE. The matter was not up for discussion.

I even talked to their loss mitigation dept (the ones that start the default/foreclosure process rolling) and the guy was extremely sympathetic about what the insurance department was doing to me.

Boowho??
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Grayfox, I may have mislead..... I was trying to sell the house anyhow. It's just that their nastiness forced me to do it whether I was ready to accept an offer or not.

The timing of finding a buyer right then was fortuitous and I WAS ready to accept the offer. It had been on the market for 3 years with almost no interest at all.

But the way they acted was extremely arbitrary...... Do it or ELSE. The matter was not up for discussion.

I even talked to their loss mitigation dept (the ones that start the default/foreclosure process rolling) and the guy was extremely sympathetic about what the insurance department was doing to me.

Boowho??
So your $75,000 loss was not because of GMAC but the housing market being in the tank? We had our house on the market in 2010 for 6 months and never even got a nibble due to the housing market. Realtor said he was selling houses in the $100,000 and less market and had 47 listed in our market and hadn't had a bite on any of them in 4 or 5 months.

Understand your frustration with GMAC, but not to the extent of causing you a loss as stated.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I gotcha, I just think that sucks. I don't know if you could take it to the insurance commish or not ?? Hope it works out the for ya in the long run.