Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Washer/ Dryer

Ok the DW would like a washer/ dryer set up. I don't know anything about them. To the guys and gals who have them in their RV, which type/ brand do you recommend? And why?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

The Splendide washer/dryer combo is excellent!!!. Ours is vented. We waited until they went on sale at Camping World and got a great deal. Sometimes we even wash clothes out by hand and just dry. them. I highly recommend this one. We searched for sometime and read many reviews. Good luck.
utsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Ok the DW would like a washer/ dryer set up. I don't know anything about them. To the guys and gals who have them in their RV, which type/ brand do you recommend? And why?
Simple..... Get a stack-able washer and driver; two individual units. The two together will be most likely cheaper than the combined washer and dryer all in one box. This would be especially true with service/parts.

Basically, it's comparable to putting in a household fridge instead of an absorption unit. Get parts/service at any Whirlpool (for example) dealer, etc.

Finally, the combined washer/dryer in one box units have extremely small capacities..... Basically a couple pair of trousers and shirts (for example) and you've got a full load.

These comments are really from the DW. I'm just doing the data entry.

My $.02 worth...... Others may feel differently.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #4

Stackable whirlpool is what we have and it's great. or equivalent. Boo said it well.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

We also have the Whirl Pool stackable. Works great. We do a load every day or so. Nice washer SS tub and lots of options this was all stock from FR. We use the dryer or a cloths line depending on the park. Our dog got sick and mess of the bed. We ended up at the cleaners 9 miles away and spent 16 dollars on three super loads. We had no sewer hook up.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

We have the Splendide all-in-one the pluses are that it does both wash and dry in one shot and it takes up less size/weight than a stackable pair. The minuses are that it takes a long time (2hrs) to go through the whole cycle and load size is much smaller than a home unit. Also, it's prone to wrinkle.

That said , my wife wouldn't camp without it. We do a load each day we camp. Usually we start it at the end of the day but early enough so that your not trying to sleep through the spin cycle :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

I agree completely with what Boowho and others said about the stackable and that should be the way to go as long as you have room for it. It has a good capacity and is a must for us. Be careful during installation,ours most likely got banged around when factory installed and now the door lock sensor is finicky. Also the dryer will most likely (and for our Berkshires might have to be only) be 110v so the dryer sometimes takes longer or have to dry some things twice. I have heard of some people with bigger high end coaches that have 220 power set up for their dryer but I dont think that is an option for us.
Besides all of that it will become something that you will use and depend upon so much that you will wonder how you lived without it! We do a load every few days as we have a 3yr old little girl and it is very handy. Also since many nice campgrounds/resorts dont allow clothes lines the dryer is great for towels.
About the only downside is we depend on ours so much we do limit ourselves to campsites that sewer hookups. Make sure everybody knows not to run it if your gray water is getting close to full or it will come up through the shower. You can guess how I learned this
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #8

If your a cool dude retired guy like boowho and spend lots of time camping and travelling then the two piece is likely the way to go. (yeah I am jealous boowho!). If your like me and still a young working stiff and don't get to use your coach nearly as much as you'd like to then the Splendide is just fine. We have 2 smal kids (1 and 3 years old) and just spent 2 weeks down in Maine. Did a load every other day and kept up fine with laundry. DanielJ is right the spin cycle is pretty wild on the Splendide but gets the job done. Previous owners of my coach used it pretty frequently and had no issues with it nor have I.
For us with the kids, having the extra space above the unit is a real plus.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies, I'm somewhere in between you and Boo, still working, kids are grown but still camp with us. We try to take a trip once a month. When we have the whole family with us (kids & significant others) we are 6 adults and go through lots of towels and cloths. The DW is tired of getting home and having to not only unload all the food but also start doing laundry.

Did most of you buy from an RV dealer and have it installed? Or is this a DIY project? I am pretty handy, just need instructions.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

We had ours installed by the dealer including the vent out through the side. We have a 390ts so the W/D goes mid coach rather than in the bedroom
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'm somewhere in between you and Boo, still working, kids are grown but still camp with us. We try to take a trip once a month. When we have the whole family with us (kids & significant others) we are 6 adults and go through lots of towels and cloths. The DW is tired of getting home and having to not only unload all the food but also start doing laundry.

Did most of you buy from an RV dealer and have it installed? Or is this a DIY project? I am pretty handy, just need instructions.
Mine had been installed by the dealer when new. Not sure on how to install. I guess if all the water lines were pre-run to that location and there is the plug for the unit in the closet, then the most difficult thing maybe using a hole saw and cutting through the wall of the coach for the dryer vent.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #12

Campin Cajun
Splendide all-in-one is the way to go. Wife loves it.

And don't forget to get the one that is vented to the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 134.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	36457   Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 136.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	36458   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	36459  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

We have the Splendid all in one. Originally my wife wanted a stackable but our 390 bh had the all in one already. We are extremely happy for several reasons. We put a load in and go out for the day upon returning the load is done. No need to come back to put the load in the dryer. Also since space is a premium in a motorhome the all in one gives is a very nice large cabinet.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

We have the ventless splendide in our coach. With three kids and as much as we travel it gets plenty of use.

No issues with the ventless - works just fine and no need to cut a hole in the side of the coach.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #15

We just bought out XL 378 and asked the dealer to install the Splendide 2100XC combo unit. He did it for no extra cost. Did a great job. (Thanks RV World of Michigan).
We have the vented type so don't know anything about the unvented type. Glad we did. If you space out your laundry duty it will work fine for anybody. We even used it the first day out when we spilled something on the floor and had to clean it up with towels and did the laundry while going down the road. Pretty cool.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
We just bought out XL 378 and asked the dealer to install the Splendide 2100XC combo unit. He did it for no extra cost. Did a great job. (Thanks RV World of Michigan).
We have the vented type so don't know anything about the unvented type. Glad we did. If you space out your laundry duty it will work fine for anybody. We even used it the first day out when we spilled something on the floor and had to clean it up with towels and did the laundry while going down the road. Pretty cool.
That's what I did when I bought my Georgetown.
That combo installed is over $2,000.

I like the vented type cause it expells the hot moist air outside and the AC doesn't have to overcome that. Too much moisture buildup inside and RV will destroy many things if it is not expelled outside.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #17

Iggy,

The ventless model does not vent the moisture into the coach - just a wives tale. :-)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

That combo installed is over $2,000.
I rest my case!!!

Seriously, it appears this discussion is about as polarized as motor home versus fifth wheel!!

The OP should now be so damn confused, he doesn't know whether to wind his butt or scratch his watch!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
Iggy,

The ventless model does not vent the moisture into the coach - just a wives tale. :-)
So when you use the dryer where does the humidity go from the clothes if not vented outside the RV? I'm curious to know.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

So when you use the dryer where does the humidity go from the clothes if not vented outside the RV? I'm curious to know.
It vents the moisture to the grey water tank, completely contained and nothing vents inside the coach.