Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

Waste tank indicator levels

I have cleaned both gray and black tanks and when empty the LED levels show empty but after just a little usage the levels are showing 3/4 full? I don't think they are that full, ideas?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #2

Accept the fact that those indicators will NEVER work properly....

No matter how many times they’re emptied, cleaned, etc... they’ll always be WRONG....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

No matter how many times they’re emptied, cleaned, etc... they’ll always be WRONG....
My "indicators" now work fine. Changed the tank sensors to the Valterra "Horst Miracle Sensors". Solved the problem which is caused by the wet tank side shorting sensors. May work fine for the first several tank fillings but when enough "crud" builds up on the tank ANY moisture shorts the sensors.

The Horst probes are longer, only have contact surface at the very end, and the black tank sensors have a "TP shield" over the top of the actual sensor.

Worth the time, effort (not much of either), and not that much $$.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

Great, How do I gain access to the tanks?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
Great, How do I gain access to the tanks?
Depending on model you most likely have to either cut an access "flap" in the underbelly or remove fasteners and lower it enough to reach in to the sensors.

The sensors are often located on the end of the tank near the discharge pipes.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

I was gong to change out my sensors to the Horst type but before I did I decided to do an over the Top cleaning to see if I could get the inside of the black tank cleaned.

I had at least 4 weeks til our next camping trip so I filled the black tank full after pouring an entire box of Rid-X down the toilet.

When we got to the campground I drained the black tank and flushed it 6-7 times with the Power Flush until the water ran completely clear.

Following that I drained the tank upon leaving and put 20 gallons of water and 1/2 a bottle of dawn down the toilet. 1 week later at the next campground I drained that and the sensors read correctly.

Lastly I always put a few oz of dawn and a bit lf Calgon in the tank after draining. They have been working perfectly ever since.

Had this failed I too would have changed out the sensors for the Horst sensors.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

I have the opposite problem. My black, grey and fresh tanks read empty when I KNOW theres something in them.

2017 Forest River - Forester

Floorplan: 3171DS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8559.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	238226  
joebinns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebinns3 View Post
I have the opposite problem. My black, grey and fresh tanks read empty when I KNOW theres something in them.

2017 Forest River - Forester

Floorplan: 3171DS
That is not a sensor issue.

It is an issue with the sensor reading system itself.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I was gong to change out my sensors to the Horst type but before I did I decided to do an over the Top cleaning to see if I could get the inside of the black tank cleaned.

I had at least 4 weeks til our next camping trip so I filled the black tank full after pouring an entire box of Rid-X down the toilet.

When we got to the campground I drained the black tank and flushed it 6-7 times with the Power Flush until the water ran completely clear.

Following that I drained the tank upon leaving and put 20 gallons of water and 1/2 a bottle of dawn down the toilet. 1 week later at the next campground I drained that and the sensors read correctly.

Lastly I always put a few oz of dawn and a bit lf Calgon in the tank after draining. They have been working perfectly ever since.

Had this failed I too would have changed out the sensors for the Horst sensors.
Can't argue that it worked. Hate to say that the issue will probably be back and you'll have the same work ahead of you as you put into the extreme tank cleaning.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can't argue that it worked. Hate to say that the issue will probably be back and you'll have the same work ahead of you as you put into the extreme tank cleaning.
If I do my level best to keep them clean and they screw up anyway I will simply install Horst sensors.

We also have a bidet int he camper and no longer put paper into the toilet, we put it in a small plastic trash can beside the toilet. We empty that daily into our main trash can.

Before anyone thinks it is a stinky solution, it is not at all smelly. The bidet washes our behinds there is no brown stuff on the paper so no odor at all.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
If I do my level best to keep them clean and they screw up anyway I will simply install Horst sensors.

We also have a bidet int he camper and no longer put paper into the toilet, we put it in a small plastic trash can beside the toilet. We empty that daily into our main trash can.

Before anyone thinks it is a stinky solution, it is not at all smelly. The bidet washes our behinds there is no brown stuff on the paper so no odor at all.
If your behind is clean why not just do what you do after a shower, use a towel?

Think of the savings on TP.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If your behind is clean why not just do what you do after a shower, use a towel?

Think of the savings on TP.
First of all, that is the procedure DW put in place. Im NOT going to argue over a bit of TP.

Secondly, We are not so poor we need to conserve on TP.............I feel real bad if that is your situation.

Tags
cat, tank