Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Water leak from rain

We had three days of pretty hard rain at a campsite. On day two I noticed a leak coming down from the top of the trim where the windshield meets. It was not the windshield because it poured from the top side of the trim and didn’t roll down the windshield. I could reach a finger up under the trim (vinyl and foam material) and feel the water saturation. I cleaned it up and put a bucket under it and we eventually returned home. It had never leaked before and I could find no evidence of a leak inside on the ceiling.

Two days later, as it sat outside at the storage, and after few days of pretty hard rains, I went to check on it thinking that I might have to change empty the bucket. All was dry, no evidence of a leak. I checked the roof and it had no obvious signs of any areas that might need patched. I did not remove the satellite cover and check under it, but the screws that were visible still had a good cover of pliable sealant and was not cracked or dry. Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2021, 04:20 AM   #2

I would look at the roof to front cap seam, and it you have it the TV antenna, maybe even the marker lights on the front cap.

About 3 years ago- I hit a low wire and broke my TV antenna while in Nova Scotia - Much to my dismay, when I pulled the old one off- I found evidence of water damage. All the seals looked good- but the wood showed damage.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

I recently had a leak at the front cap. Couldn't see anything wrong on the roof. I sealed all the edges of the roof sealant with Dicor and no more leak. Doesn't take much to create a leak.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfam5 View Post
We had three days of pretty hard rain at a campsite. On day two I noticed a leak coming down from the top of the trim where the windshield meets. It was not the windshield because it poured from the top side of the trim and didn’t roll down the windshield. I could reach a finger up under the trim (vinyl and foam material) and feel the water saturation. I cleaned it up and put a bucket under it and we eventually returned home. It had never leaked before and I could find no evidence of a leak inside on the ceiling.

Two days later, as it sat outside at the storage, and after few days of pretty hard rains, I went to check on it thinking that I might have to change empty the bucket. All was dry, no evidence of a leak. I checked the roof and it had no obvious signs of any areas that might need patched. I did not remove the satellite cover and check under it, but the screws that were visible still had a good cover of pliable sealant and was not cracked or dry. Any ideas?
How often do you check the sealant?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
How often do you check the sealant?
I don't do roof much anymore so I inspect from a ladder and I said some of the younger kids like my 32-year-old son or my 29-year-old son up there to inspect. Do it often. As to the original post,,

Might have been leaking at the camp location with a coach at a certain level and any storage area it sits at a slightly different level and the water wasn't concentrating at the leak. Obviously there's a leak it doesn't go away by itself. An old roofer told me once be the water think like the water follow the water.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Diesel Rep West Coast

Depending on how old the sealant is, it might be worth resealing the coach. Also when doing the inspection look for cracks in anything from the roof vents to the fiberglass. In experience, sealants always seem to have no problem adhering to the sealant. what I mean by that is that a lot of times the sealant may appear to have no cracks but it actually could have air gaps below the bead, allowing water to slip under it. I just experienced this problem this past week in a bathroom in my house. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

As a follow up to this post, I checked the seam on the front cap to roof more closely. I found a spot over the drivers side that had tiny cracks for about a foot at the seam. I used some sealant to close those spots, but I’m considering the Dicor tape along the seam. Any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Diesel Rep West Coast

Good to hear it seems like you found where the issue was.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
Depending on how old the sealant is, it might be worth resealing the coach. Also when doing the inspection look for cracks in anything from the roof vents to the fiberglass. In experience, sealants always seem to have no problem adhering to the sealant. what I mean by that is that a lot of times the sealant may appear to have no cracks but it actually could have air gaps below the bead, allowing water to slip under it. I just experienced this problem this past week in a bathroom in my house. Just some food for thought.

Browse through YOUTUBE and look especially at "AZ Expert" channel.

He is an Arizona Mobile Tech who specializes it seems in room leaks and roof repairs and Replacement. Lots of good pointers on what sealant sticks to what sealant and what does not. Also has distinct ideas on where you should or should not use Eterna-Bond or similar repair tapes.

And Most importantly GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak