Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

Water Pressure / Air bags

2011 BH has very sporadic water pressure. When running off the tanks it is steady out of the faucets and a little better when hooked up to city water. Is there any way to boost the overall water pressure. It's fine for the bathroom and showers, but in the kitchen sink it seems very weak. Not a huge problem, I've got bigger fish to fry, but it would be nice to beef it up a little.

Also, Air bags will not inflate if jacks aren't fully retracted. We've had to cycle them a couple times to make sure. It's pretty simple to figure out if the bags don't inflate, I promise there is nothing quite like it. There must be a trigger switch when they are fully up and if just 1 isn't, you just sit there with flat bags. I offer this because I was about 15 minutes away from a big tow when I cycled the jacks again and the problem corrected.
brevin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

In your kitchen sink, you may have something clogging up the screen where the water comes out. Try taking it out, clean it, and replace. Since other faucets have better pressure it seems likely this will help.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll check it. Probably going to be a little cheaper than buying a new, stronger pump too.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
In your kitchen sink, you may have something clogging up the screen where the water comes out. Try taking it out, clean it, and replace. Since other faucets have better pressure it seems likely this will help.
The aeration screens in both my faucets were clogged by debris right from the factory. Clearing them help A LOT.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #5

I have the same problems. I removed the water restricter in the kitchen faucet and it didn't help so I am thinking about getting one of those adjustable water pressure regulators so that I can increase the incoming pressure a bit. I think the water pressure regulator that came with the unit is probably a cheap one and is really dampening the pressure.

I also have the same problem with the jacks/air bags that you are having. Have had the problem since the coach was new and have just learned to live with it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #6

Have you ever taken it to Freightliner or do you just cycle the jacks if they don't inflate? I don't mind doing it, but if they can fix it, I may get it looked at
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #7

Which water pump do you have? Ours was just a standard Shurflow 2.5gpm pump which is common in most RVs and doesn't provide much pressure. Combined with the whole house filter on these rigs the water pressure was really poor. I replaced the stock pump with a Shurflow 5.7gpm smart sensor pump. The difference is amazing and we can actually use the shower now while dry camping. I didn't find the pump to be as quiet as they advertise but it is better than the stock one. It has been in and working for 1.5 years now and so far so good.

There also should be a sediment filter right at the output of the pump. Check to see if maybe debris from initial construction may be clogging that and clean it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

Is the installation relatively easy? Based on the fact that my icemaker was disconnected and flooding the cabin, I can't wait to see the water pump. Hopefully it's a clog or simple pump replacement, but I expect to find McDonald straws and rubber bands used in it somehow. (Rubber bands appear to be what holds the A/C particle filter into the grate overhead) Any feedback on that filter would be appreciated, maybe the rubber is supposed to be there, but when I removed the grate I found 2 office rubber bands connected together holding the foam to the A/C so it wouldn't get sucked up into the ductwork.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

I read a post on here sometime in the past that said the Berkshire comes with the 5.7 pump and the pump has a screw on it that adjusts the pressure.

Perhaps you just need to do an adjustment?

found the thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post25699
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #10

Thanks, I have to now find the pump which shouldn't be too tough I don't think
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #11

Pump should be on the passenger side in a compartment just in front of the rear wheels. There are 2 spring pins that are on the under side of the door that need to be pulled then you can open the 2 latches. Pump is on the lower left in the compartment.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevin66 View Post
Also, Air bags will not inflate if jacks aren't fully retracted. We've had to cycle them a couple times to make sure. It's pretty simple to figure out if the bags don't inflate, I promise there is nothing quite like it. There must be a trigger switch when they are fully up and if just 1 isn't, you just sit there with flat bags. I offer this because I was about 15 minutes away from a big tow when I cycled the jacks again and the problem corrected.
I experienced this situation also. It's not that the jacks aren't fully retracted, the problem lies in the sequence of events that you use when retracting the jacks. When the jacks are extended the dump valve (air) opens, which in turn releases all air pressure. Air pressure has to be above 75 psi before retracting the jacks.
Since I have followed this sequence I haven't had the problem rise again.
1) Start coach and let the air pressure build above 75 psi.
2) Retract jacks.
3) You are ready to roll.

Take care.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #13

On the Jack issue, get in the habit of starting the unit and letting the air bags fill up after you run the rooms in prior to leaving. Then you can continue to pack up the rig. Doing this will allow the bags to fill and the tank to fill, then when you hit all retract you will be sure to have air in the system to operate the jacks...Equalizer now recommends this procedure.
amy8194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
There also should be a sediment filter right at the output of the pump. Check to see if maybe debris from initial construction may be clogging that and clean it.
Sediment filter screen is installed before the pump. It keeps any crude from entering the pump and causing damage. I know I forgot to remove it when winterizing and dump the little remaining water prior to blowing out the lines. It froze, cracked and wouldn't allow the pump to draw water from the tank when I filled the tank in the spring. They don't sell just the cap for the screen just the whole assembly for about $11-$12. I wrote on the black cover to the pump compartment in Silver Sharpee a winterizing reminder to myself to dump the water. I did pick up a spare at Camping World in Myrtle Beach for $5 on a clearance table in case I don't follow my own directions.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We also have experienced the low pressure in the kitchen, but only in the kitchen. I'll check out the sediment screen tonight and see if that is a problem. We've not experienced a problem with the air bags at all since we got our Berkshire. We just wait until the pressure builds up past 75 psi and then we go. Haven't had the other issues yet.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #16

We had an issue with the bags not filling on our trip last weekend.

We had set up on a Friday - extended the jacks. Before I retracted them on Sunday - I played with the manual adjustments (it was pouring rain and I was trying to tilt the coach and get some of the water off the slide topers before pulling in the slides) - the ride felt a lot bumpier than it did when we drove in.. :-)

I got about 2 blocks thru the campground and then extended the levelers again - and retracted them. The bags then filled up and we were fine.

Are you suggesting starting the motor letting the air pressure build to 75psi, then shutting off the motor and retracting? On ours - both the jacks and slides can only be used when the key is out of the ignition..

Thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nighttrain View Post
I experienced this situation also. It's not that the jacks aren't fully retracted, the problem lies in the sequence of events that you use when retracting the jacks. When the jacks are extended the dump valve (air) opens, which in turn releases all air pressure. Air pressure has to be above 75 psi before retracting the jacks.
Since I have followed this sequence I haven't had the problem rise again.
1) Start coach and let the air pressure build above 75 psi.
2) Retract jacks.
3) You are ready to roll.

Take care.
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarzano View Post
Are you suggesting starting the motor letting the air pressure build to 75psi, then shutting off the motor and retracting? On ours - both the jacks and slides can only be used when the key is out of the ignition..
Yes that will work also, but you should be able to retract the jacks with the engine running. The interlock will not let you deploy the jacks or operate slide outs with the engine running. I have a "08" & that's how mine operates, not sure if that has changed on the newer models. Try it & let me know.

Take care.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #18

I carry a water pressure test gauge to check campground water pressure. If its not over 50 PSI I don't use a regulator. Its available at the Home Depot for less tham $10. Very seldom use a regulator.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #19

I see - the interlock is only on deploying and extending the slides and levelers..

I will try this the next time we are out and post back.

Thank you!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nighttrain View Post
Yes that will work also, but you should be able to retract the jacks with the engine running. The interlock will not let you deploy the jacks or operate slide outs with the engine running. I have a "08" & that's how mine operates, not sure if that has changed on the newer models. Try it & let me know.

Take care.
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags, berkshire