Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Water Pressure setting?

We have a on demand water heater on our 2014 390FL, what is the desired water pressure setting?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

This is the pump you have in the unit. You can adjust the pressure it usually is preset somewhere around 50 55 psi.SHURFLO 4048 WATER PUMP.pdf
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

WDW,

RV plumbing is typically designed to handle 30psi. I wouldn't think your on demand heater requires anything greater.

The attachment shows the water pump for your unit which indicates, "The pump operates normally up to about 30-psi..."

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedog View Post
RV plumbing is typically designed to handle 30psi.
What is the source of this information? Can you post a link to it if there is one?

I have never had a problem caused by high water pressure in any RV I have owned.

At my home, the street pressure is 110psi. I have a pressure reducing valve inside set at 75psi for everything inside the house. My water for outside is connected before the PRV, so I have 110psi at all of my outside hose bibs. All of my RVs have been connected to 110psi for extended periods of time — months — with no issues — ever. The only reason I have a PRV on my home system is to reduce the level of noise created in the pipes and at toilet fill valves and solenoid controlled appliances due to the high flow generated by high pressure.

I have never used a PRV at any campgrounds, either. However, if I was concerned enough and decided to use a PRV for my RV, I would set it to somewhere between 55psi and 65psi. Every time your RV’s tank-type water heater (the OP doesn’t have this) heats cold water to make it hot, the pressure in the entire system — both hot and cold sides — is easily going to exceed 65psi, and quite often take it all of the way up to 150psi where the temperature and pressure relief valve on the water heater will begin to weep to keep the pressure at or just below 150psi.

Bruce
Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Mea culpa. I stand corrected, I use a 30psi PRV on my RV which works fine for me.

Check out the link below:

https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...r-for-your-rv/

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I have had a pressure problem in the past. Specifically at a camp ground where there were only a few of us. The pressure blew out the line to my ice maker (of all things). An easy fix and a now have nice pressure regulator (with gauge) set about 30 PSI.
daverule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #7

I set mine to 40psi.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Personally I’d NEVER hook up to CG water without a pressure regulator.....

Have been in CG’s that warm campers of their extremely high WP (150psi)

Regulators are too cheap and blown lines way too expensive to not use one...

I have one with gauge that allows me to adjust the amount of pressure I’m allowing to enter my hose then my coach.... I leave it hooked to my hose when I store it..,.
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

It has been reported in the forum that Forest River products test the plumbing systems to 100 psi of air pressure. For many years, before manufacturers incorporated air bladders into water supply tanks, single family homes had water pressure set no higher than 45 psi. Higher pressures lead to what is known as water hammer when an open valve was suddenly closed which could cause wear at the joints leading to leaks.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #10

Have a 2020 Flagstaff 26rbws,so what should I set the pressure to on my regulator?
DMBROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #11

We too have an on-demand unit in our TT. We set our adjustable water pressure regulator to around 50 psi.... if you go too high, the 'flow' of water going through the heater is too fast and your water temperatures will not go as high as you'd like. At 50, we get a nice shower at the CG.. lots of pressure.. and that's going through a residential shower head too.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #12

Modern plumbing in RVs today with Pex is tested up to 100 PSI but most state max should be 60 PSI but suggest 40-50 PSI is ideal to be on the safe side. This Subject comes up a lot. A limiting factor I found recently was my 2018 DP we bought used last May. Water Pressure wasn't the best especially when taking showers and it wasn't the CG's issue. I found using the fresh water tank and pump had no issues which doesn't go through the Filter so pulled the filter and looked up the data on the filter found it had a 1 GPM filter in it which is standard changed it out to a larger one. I've attached the two filters. Notice the larger opening on the new one (Black) on the right and the blue one was actually smaller but I tried to enlarge it with a drill bit but it ends up breaking the charcoal free inside so it doesn't work. So you can see it was pretty small hence the 1 GPM... new one which is an alternate is I think 5GPM. What a difference, as you can imagine. Originally thought it was the pressure reducer... LOL, I'm never too old to learn something new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	246885  
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Modern plumbing in RVs today with Pex is tested up to 100 PSI but most state max should be 60 PSI but suggest 40-50 PSI is ideal to be on the safe side. This Subject comes up a lot. A limiting factor I found recently was my 2018 DP we bought used last May. Water Pressure wasn't the best especially when taking showers and it wasn't the CG's issue. I found using the fresh water tank and pump had no issues which doesn't go through the Filter so pulled the filter and looked up the data on the filter found it had a 1 GPM filter in it which is standard changed it out to a larger one. I've attached the two filters. Notice the larger opening on the new one (Black) on the right and the blue one was actually smaller but I tried to enlarge it with a drill bit but it ends up breaking the charcoal free inside so it doesn't work. So you can see it was pretty small hence the 1 GPM... new one which is an alternate is I think 5GPM. What a difference, as you can imagine. Originally thought it was the pressure reducer... LOL, I'm never too old to learn something new.
Just for clarity... I notice in your profile you have a non-FR R/V.

I'm not aware of any FR R/V that the factory installed water filter doesn't filter both the fresh tank/pump supplied water as well as the city water.

The info on a restricted filter element still applies though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Just for clarity... I notice in your profile you have a non-FR R/V.

I'm not aware of any FR R/V that the factory installed water filter doesn't filter both the fresh tank/pump supplied water as well as the city water.

The info on a restricted filter element still applies though.
Actually I do apologize I traded in my 2018 GT 31L5 last year for my present DP and wasn't thinking but if I recall I don't think my GT filter did only city water as well.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Actually I do apologize I traded in my 2018 GT 31L5 last year for my present DP and wasn't thinking but if I recall I don't think my GT filter did only city water as well.

The 2019 and 2020 GT5 definitely do. The only thing not filtered is water going into the fresh tank.

The Shurflo 4008 water pump that FR uses turns on when the pressure drops to 40psi and turns off at 55psi.

Ray
Old 01-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The 2019 and 2020 GT5 definitely do. The only thing not filtered is water going into the fresh tank.

The Shurflo 4008 water pump that FR uses turns on when the pressure drops to 40psi and turns off at 55psi.

Ray
Thanks learn something new everyday. I do see that the GT5's now went up to 22.5 wheels... vs the 19.5s my 2018 had. Not sure why they didn't do it in the beginning for such a big rig probably to save a buck. Anyway thanks for the information.

Tags
pressure, water