Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Water pump location on 2016 38a

Hi all! We're on our maiden voyage with our 2016 38a. Everything has been great so far until last nights laundry and bath time. Our water is sputtering like the tank is almost empty. Thinking it was bad pressure from the campground I unhooked and was just going to run off tanks and pump. We noticed when turing on the pump it seems louder and constantly running now regardless of a call for water. I think the pump might be pulling air from a loose hose. Can someone tell me where that pump is located? Or does this sound familiar to anyone, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
ntoensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

The pump should be located in the bay just in front of your right side rear tire. The door doesn't have a lock & is secured by 2 clips thru a latch on the bottom of the door.

When you get it open make sure that the valves are in the correct position to pull water from the fresh water tank & not in the position to pull anti-freeze in thru the short hose you'll find there. you can also check the level of water in your fresh water tank.

If you're not getting much pressure from the 'city water' connection, check with the campsite to see what pressure they're providing. 30lbs is optimum but I've found that it's usually down around 20lbs.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Also if your water tank is showing 1/3 full it's probably pulling air from inside the tank.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Thanks all for your help. Problem seems to be that my tank was empty. I was told by tech during our delivery walk through that when connected to city supply I didn't need any water in the tank. That seems to not be the case. I took your advice and filled the tank ½ way (only because I didn't know when it was full). Everything now is working perfectly. So why do you need the tank full when connected to city supply anyway?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Seems you may still have something wrong, or either connected wrong, a problem or misunderstanding.

The tech is right on this one. You should NOT have to have water in the tank when hooked to city supply. I'm afraid you may still be pulling from the tank and empty it again.

With city water hooked up, you should be able to turn the water pump off, but it will work with the pump on also. Do you have the pump turned off?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

You should not need your pump while connected to city water. Did you have the water pump switch on while connected to city water? If so, turn the switch off and try just using the city water to see if it happens again.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

I had the pump off as he said if adequate pressure no pump was needed. If flow was low then turn pump on to assist. However when I filled the tank and had the city fill inlet plugged in it worked fine. At the dealership I know the tank was full and the tech had the city fill inlet attached we did not have the pump on and it worked flawless. I'm sure it's my ignorance but I hope my ignorance doesn't break something during the learning curve. Thanks so much for y'all's willingness to help out the newbie!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

When you originally unhooked from the campground water supply did you check the pressure coming from the hose? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

OK then. Sounds like your tech and you had a good understanding of how it should work.

Maybe a backflow prevention valve is not working right on the city water inlet.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

Pressure from hose seemed more than adequate. That back-flow valve makes sense. Anyway for me to check that?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

ntoensing,
First of all, congrats on your new coach and welcome to the FORUMS!! Hope you have many fun, safe and trouble free trips with it!!
I would first check the position of the valves in the compartment where the water pump is. You do not need water in the tank when hooked to shore water. The backflow valve is for the city water is just inside the connection. When you take the city water hose off, you will see a little black ball. That is the back flow valve. If you press it, see if it pops back. Make sure that you let the pressure out first or you will get wet (LOL!). I don't think that is your problem because, as it name implies, it is a back flow valve and its purpose is to prevent the water from flowing back into the hose. If you have water pressure from coming in, the valve is pushed in (open) and lets the water enter the coach. Also, you might want to make sure that your outside shower valves are turned off. There is a hot and cold water handle, like you would have in your bathroom at home. Make sure that those are closed. You could also turn off the valves on the manifold for the outside shower.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

I never had to deal with the valve myself.
I just read about others on the forum talk about it.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help with details.

Tags
cat, location, pump, water, water pump