Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

We finished install of an Air Force One braking control on a 2014 Jeep Grand Cheroke

I purchased the Blue Ox Aladdin tow system with SMI's Air Force One Braking Control from the dealer with purchased our coach from. This probably wasn't the best decision looking back because our dealer had very limited experience with brake control systems being that NJ doesn't require them.

I believe the other challenge was our tow vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I believe the new car manufacturing process is getting so efficient (translation tight) through the use of CAD that there is very little room or forgiveness under the hood. Our dealer missed several clips trying to put the front bumper back on that I had to address after the fact.

Our dealer was able the install the Blue Ox Aladdin system but it took twice the hours they thought and after they refused to install the brake system(that they sold me). To their credit, they did offer to refund my money for the brake system but that didn't solve my issue. I live in PA and need a braking system for our tow vehicle.

So, I found 2 dealers that said they had installed the Air Force One system but neither had worked with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I ultimately ended up using our company's in house mechanic. He had neither installed the brake system or worked with a 2014 Jeep GC but I TRUSTED him. I also had the privilege of talking with the guys at SMI who were GREAT.

My thought was that between our guy, I trusted, and SM, I now trusted, we would have a successful outcome... Well after 3 days and about 16 labor hours the system is installed and works. We haven't done any trips yet (leave Aug 2nd) but we have tested the system and it seems to work as designed.

Our mechanic said that the Jeep was much harder to work with than the coach and we did need, I believe, 2 additional parts from NAPA that SMI provided the part numbers for. Our mechanic said that he believes he could cut his install time on the next unit of similar configuration almost in half, but said he hopes he never has to do one again... :-)

I am sure if someone is having an installation completed and you have any trouble, our mechanic would be happy to have a phone call with anyone. Make sure you lean on SMI because those guys are great! I hope this might help someone smooth the edges of your installation experience.
Jetjdm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

We had the same braking system installed. The hitch installer had our Jeep Wrangler for about 5 hours to install the Jeep baseplates and the Airborne controller, switch to turn it on and off as well as the safety lanyard. We brought the coach in the next day as they had to break into the airlines. Took another 3 hours with the coach. So far on a mountain run through Central Idaho everything is working to perfection.

I literally picked a name from the phone book and I was telling my wife we got lucky. Extremely clean shop, knowledgeable owner and experienced workers. Actually I think I got his name from the Roadmaster site as we used their Falcon 2 all terrain tow bar.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags