RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60
 
Jersey Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 99
The 360 HP engine package also has a larger transmission and a bigger rear axle, thats where your extra gvw is found.
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
boohoo,

As best as I can figure the word doc I posted on 11/11 is what I go by. If you have all tha data for your coach try the math and see if it is different. I think nytaxman has the right idea with the differnt chassis, plus the length of the coach must have some bearing on the totals.

Good Luck,
AREA51
Thanks guys...... I will check your doc, Area51. The MOST interesting thing to me is that according to Phil57's posted yellow sticker, he has a 2800 lb payload, while mine is 3800 lbs. AND we BOTH have 2011 390RB units. Mine is the 340 engine; assume his is as well.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
AREA51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Weight Limits

boohoo
Somehwere in these forums I read about a gury who had the wrong information on his sticker from FR. They had a typo on the weight. I'm not sure who it was but I sure remember that post.
Good Luck
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
boohoo
Somehwere in these forums I read about a gury who had the wrong information on his sticker from FR. They had a typo on the weight. I'm not sure who it was but I sure remember that post.
Good Luck
AREA51

Sheesh!! What a potential FU..... Now I gotta dig further.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I think part of the confusion is the pre-2010 chassis, mine is a 2009 chassis, had the lower ratings. Apparently they beefed up the ratings since those chassis were made.
Both Phil57 and myself have 2011 coaches, and both 390RB; not sure if his is 360 or 340. Mine is 340.

His yellow sticker shows his dry weight as 980 lbs MORE than mine. Conversely, his payload is EXACTLY 980 lbs less than mine. I do have the washer/dryer stackable, but he may have that PLUS something extra in his optional equipment that I don't have.

Whatever I do, I'll definitely take this rig to a CAT scale when I next put it on the road.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Both Phil57 and myself have 2011 coaches, and both 390RB; not sure if his is 360 or 340. Mine is 340.

His yellow sticker shows his dry weight as 980 lbs MORE than mine. Conversely, his payload is EXACTLY 980 lbs less than mine. I do have the washer/dryer stackable, but he may have that PLUS something extra in his optional equipment that I don't have.

Whatever I do, I'll definitely take this rig to a CAT scale when I next put it on the road.

Boowho??
One more thought on this..... My 2011 COACH was built on a 2010 CHASSISs; perhaps Phil57's was built on a 2009 chassis?
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Mine is a 2011 built around sept 2010 and uses DEF so I would assume its at least a 2010 as I think that is the year they started that. We are still working on getting this issue resolved. I will be in SC at Freightliner in March to have the front axel upgraded.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Boohoo did you weigh your MH yet?



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Mine is a 2011 built around sept 2010 and uses DEF so I would assume its at least a 2010 as I think that is the year they started that. We are still working on getting this issue resolved. I will be in SC at Freightliner in March to have the front axel upgraded.
Phil,
What are they going to do to upgrade the front axle and what will that do for your weight carrying capacity? Did they give you what it is going to cost for the upgrade?
Thanks,
Tom
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Tom it's a completed issue and although I thought that I had it figured out I don't. I will find out when I get it to S.C. I was under the impression that the axel would be replaced as a unit but my last conversion with FL they indicated that it was a upgrade of air bags,tired and some other components. I will talk with them this week and get a better idea.
I had two issues with weight on my MH
1: the yellow sticker was printed with incorrect weight on it.
2: The steer axel was over weight with the MH empty full fuel and A driver and passenger.
I need to make up my mind on getting aluminum rims when I get the new tires. What do you think is it worth 1500.00?



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Mine is a 2011 built around sept 2010 and uses DEF so I would assume its at least a 2010 as I think that is the year they started that. We are still working on getting this issue resolved. I will be in SC at Freightliner in March to have the front axel upgraded.
Phil57 we have almost the same coach. Ours is a 2011 on a 2010 chassis same as yours. Why we have a 980 pound difference in carrying capacity is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps one of our stickers is wrong? Are you 340 or 360 HP? I'm 340.

I will not be able to weigh mine until early April. We are parked in Mesa, Az for the winter (we're full timers) and don't want to make the unit travel ready just to weigh it.

BTW, the last 5 digits or my SN are 50680; what's yours??

boowho??


P.S. Hey, I just noticed we even have the same paint scheme. I call ours "Darth Vader" since the colors make it look ominous (to me at least).

P.S. II Phil57 do you have a satellite dish on your roof? If so, how did you find the location of the pre-wired cable? Mine is not marked at all.
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Boohoo I have the 340 with tile floors and the 4 door ref. stack WD and the booth dinette. The last five are 50693.
I don't know why the weights are different other than they just messed up when they weighed mine. I found the issue when I weighed mine and was shocked. I ended up bring it down to Elkhart and went back with them to weigh it. They where very puzzled and had everyone looking at it. Everyone looked first to see what we where hauling. Matt was the warranty manager and he joked that they all where looking for our rock collection. They said they haven't had a issue with weight before and wanted us to go home and empty it and bring it back. That did tic me of a little but we did bring I back and it was still over. If you want feel free to give me a call



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
2011 Berkshire 390BH
 
Superchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lancaster, NY
Posts: 1,063
Boohoo,


I have a 2011 390BH. I recently had a Winegard Traveler Dish installed on the unit. I had the same question as you about where the roof connection was. I had thought it was in a false venting pipe near the front passenger section, as noted on some posts that I had read on some sights. I had no such false venting pipe on the roof. When I asked the Service Department at the local Dealership, I was told they would have to call the factory to find out where in the roof it was located, so they could cut into the channel. After I spoke with the installer at the Dealership, who had installed a number of these Travelers, he suggested since I was going to use HD and may want to connect the unit to the Bedroom TV as some point, that I should not use the single cable feed in the roof, but run multiple cables along the top of the roof and then down to the entertainment center, by going through the top of the roof. I went with this option. I was a little apprehensive as I thought the cables may vibrate when traveling and transfer that sound into the unit. They secured the cables in multiple places and it came out very nice, with no vibration. As an added feature, there are still a couple of available open connection slots on the Traveler, so that if I wanted to connect a HD TV to the outside of the unit, I can run a temporary connection off the roof.

Craig
__________________
Craig



Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,325
Phil,
Other than appearance, I don't think that you would gain much by going with aluminum rims. If the coach had come with them originally, that would be another story but the cost to replace the existing rims with aluminum, in my opinion, wouldn't be worth that much money. Also, they usually don't put 4 aluminum rims on the rear axle, just on the 2 outside tires.
As I said, that's just my thoughts on the matter.
Tom

Phil,
Do you and boohoo both have ceramic tile floors? If not, that may be part of the weight difference. Just a thought.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Tom you helped make my decision. No new rims. I can use the cash to pay fuel and camping. I do have tile floors that has to add a lot of weight.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Tom you helped make my decision. No new rims. I can use the cash to pay fuel and camping. I do have tile floors that has to add a lot of weight.
I have the tile floors as well so that's not it. Wouldn't buy a coach without them, BTW. Carpeting in a coach is just a dirt magnet and gets filthy way to quickly (IMHO - YMMV).

I have a table and four chairs in place of Phil57's booth. That appears to be the only difference between my unit and Phil57's

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Boohoo,


I have a 2011 390BH. I recently had a Winegard Traveler Dish installed on the unit. I had the same question as you about where the roof connection was. I had thought it was in a false venting pipe near the front passenger section, as noted on some posts that I had read on some sights. I had no such false venting pipe on the roof. When I asked the Service Department at the local Dealership, I was told they would have to call the factory to find out where in the roof it was located, so they could cut into the channel. After I spoke with the installer at the Dealership, who had installed a number of these Travelers, he suggested since I was going to use HD and may want to connect the unit to the Bedroom TV as some point, that I should not use the single cable feed in the roof, but run multiple cables along the top of the roof and then down to the entertainment center, by going through the top of the roof. I went with this option. I was a little apprehensive as I thought the cables may vibrate when traveling and transfer that sound into the unit. They secured the cables in multiple places and it came out very nice, with no vibration. As an added feature, there are still a couple of available open connection slots on the Traveler, so that if I wanted to connect a HD TV to the outside of the unit, I can run a temporary connection off the roof.

Craig
Thanks for that info, sir. I've only had this coach for 2.5 months so I'm still learning a LOT about it.

I believe that Newmar (my prev MH was a Dutch Star) keeps detailed records at the factory of every coach they build with regard to that sort of info.

Forest River, not so much.... I really like this coach, not so sure about customer support however.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boohoo I have the 340 with tile floors and the 4 door ref. stack WD and the booth dinette. The last five are 50693.
I don't know why the weights are different other than they just messed up when they weighed mine. I found the issue when I weighed mine and was shocked. I ended up bring it down to Elkhart and went back with them to weigh it. They where very puzzled and had everyone looking at it. Everyone looked first to see what we where hauling. Matt was the warranty manager and he joked that they all where looking for our rock collection. They said they haven't had a issue with weight before and wanted us to go home and empty it and bring it back. That did tic me of a little but we did bring I back and it was still over. If you want feel free to give me a call

I'll keep your number for possible future reference. Thanks.
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
I would be very interested in what your MH weighs. That is the only thing you can go by. Just for reference not sure how we compare but when we emptied our MH we had 840 lbs if gear in it. We tend to pack heavy and that is basement and all. I did not have a issue on the drive axel and gross weight was only slight over but steer axel was way over. I could feel it in the steering wheel when pulling our toad. It just was hard to drive. I would have to get my paperwork out but it was around 800 lbs over. Not sure why I felt it more with the toad but even my wife felt the difference and asked me about it.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I would be very interested in what your MH weighs. That is the only thing you can go by. Just for reference not sure how we compare but when we emptied our MH we had 840 lbs if gear in it. We tend to pack heavy and that is basement and all. I did not have a issue on the drive axel and gross weight was only slight over but steer axel was way over. I could feel it in the steering wheel when pulling our toad. It just was hard to drive. I would have to get my paperwork out but it was around 800 lbs over. Not sure why I felt it more with the toad but even my wife felt the difference and asked me about it.
Still have about a month to go before I can weigh it. I'll let you know when I do.

Have you discovered any additional info on your coach regarding weights, and also did they replace your roof yet?

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.