Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

What is this tube?

While winterizing today I found this in the back of the refrigerator compartment. Is this white plastic hose supposed to be connected?
And what exactly does it do? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414841281.195940.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	65705

Chester

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
chesterhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

Looks like the condenser drain line. It's too early to get all science, but when air is cooled rapidly it looses moisture. When that happens this drain removes that moisture to the exterior of your unit. There should be a little ball float on the end of that tube with a plastic x under it. When the tube fills the ball will float and let the water out, when it's gone it drops to keep bugs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Yes the evaporator drain tube.

BTW...I like your name. I am Chester also.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

hmmm....my float ball must have fallen out when the cheapo plastic hose broke off 2" above the the end. I was able to salvage the 'X', but never knew there was a float.....makes sense. Anyone do a mod for those of us that have lost their balls?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

The drain hose should exit your RV somewhere underneath or, like mine, out the lower refrigerator vent.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

oh no you broke it, This is from another post but is the way I was told to fix it, did mine with clear vinyl hose its flexable.

Re: Dometic Refrigerator Drain Hose

by fvalli on 5/5/2011, 3:10 am

OK, job's done. Here are a few pictures. This is the catch cup after I pulled it out from the inside.

I used a piece of cheap garden hose I had just for wrapping around a newly-planted tree trunk when I staked it. This thin half-inch hose fit perfectly (snugly) over the barbed catch cup tube.

I had to ream the hole in the reefer cabinet a little in order to get the hose to pass thru. Pushed the hose thru.

Put a little plumber's putty on back of catch cup plate, and pushed it all the way in.

On the outside, the garden hose was too stiff to maneuver thru the hole in the access cover, so I cut the hose off at about the top of the access hole and I had some very flexible quarter-inch rubber fuel hose that snugly slipped up into the garden hose. Easy to put thru the hole in the access cover. The right combinatioin of tubing to begin with would have been better, but I used what I had. Job finished, works like a charm.

fvalli New member

Number of posts: 10
Registration date: 2008-04-20

Old 11-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

The cheap plastic hose they use gets brittle only after short time but it is needed or you'll have water dripping in the compartment. I've never seen a float ball in it but there is an end like this to keep bugs out. I made one with a plug from the hardware store and drilling small holes in it they cost about $.50. or you can get a new one around $5.00.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

The (Hose/Tube) on ours has a plastic screen inserted in the discharge end to keep ? out. The Factory (normally) runs the discharge end out one of the lower vent square holes. When I installed the SS insect screens on the Refrigerator Vents I drilled a hole thru the removable vent panel and ran the (Hose/Tube) out and placed the Plastic screen in the end agin. Youroo!! PS These (Hoses/Tubes) get very brittle and break,they should be checked and (Replaced) to prevent (Water/Delamination) Damage around the Refrigerator Vent Sidewall Area!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Ok, right on. Thanks for all the ideas! I'll be working on getting this fixed up.

chesterhull is offline   Reply With Quote