Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Never leave Black tank valve open You can leave the grey- that’s your choice but usually close it sometime before you plan to dump them the black so you can use the grey after dumping the black to flush the line
X2
DThieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampachet View Post
I always leave grey valves open because in my thinking processes I think the sediment from kitchen or shower however small will eventually settle to bottom of tank and could cause a grey sludge buildup and then you would have a grey pyramid. But I use a sewer solution and would have no possible sewer gas to enter the trailer.
That’s my thought and I’m sticking to it for what’s its worth. After over 50 years of RV’ing and no sewer problems except when I made a mistake and accidentally disconnected sewer hose when dumping����

Yeah you don't want to do like Robin Williams did in the movie RV, the dumping the tanks scene was absolutely hilarious!! If you haven't seen the movie rent it, you'll be laughing non stop with all the dumb things a first time RV user might do.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
X3
If you choose to leave the grey tank valve(s) open, use a hose support and form a P trap immediately after the dump valve to prevent the possibility of sewer odours coming back into the RV.
https://www.thervgeeks.com/plumbing/...pen-or-closed/
itat is right, about the grey tank, and ditto on everyone who says NEVER leave your black tank open... just dump it when it gets above 2/3 full and close it again... and always keep some water and chemical in there. As for the grey, yeah you can make a p-trap of sorts with a slump in the hose like he described but for long term stay I have come up with the ultimate solution... just finished in on our 2019 Keystone Avalanche 382FL 5th Wheel in its long term location in the RV Park. Here's a photo... and take a look at this link for full documentation and photos include several closeups.

Website link: Installation of a semi permanent 3 inch ABS sewer connection

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #44

Wouldn’t turning the pump off before averted water running? I am just a newbie in the RV world so maybe I am really wrong.
Grannyknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #45

Never leave the black open salads will build up on the bottom and can cause issues, I don’t usually leave the gray tank open either because if there is ever a back up in the sewer system it will push back into your camper and it could be nasty
Jamesjfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #46

I currently have a seasonal site so I'm sometimes here for several weeks at a time. I leave the gray open & the black closed.

Black is closed for all the reasons folks have listed already. Gray is open because I hate getting all soapy in the shower & then realizing the water isn't draining out of the shower because the gray tank is full. LOL! I was having to dump the gray after about every two showers - especially when my cousin is staying with me. She hates to leave dishes in the sink, so she washes dishes 2 or 3 times a day. So I leave the gray open for convenience.

Typically dump the black about every 4-5 days - depending on whether it's just me or whether my cousin is staying with me. My camper has a black tank flush that I used to clean out the lines after dumping.

Never had any problems with odor from leaving the gray tank open. HOWEVER, when I leave the campsite to head home for a few days, I close both valves after dumping the black. Don't want to leave the gray line open when it's not being used regularly. I figure that might allow the odor to come back up through the lines.

As several folks have said, gray tank open or closed is mostly a matter of personal preference. But black tank valve should definitely stay closed.

Oh, forgot to mention that when I leave the campsite for a few days, I always turn the water (and the propane) off. Just a precaution. Only takes a few minutes to turn them off & then back on. And it might prevent some problems.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #47

never leave any of the valves open. If you are leaving them open especially the black tank all the liquid drains out but your solid waste gets stuck then builds up. Leaving your grey valve open then you do not have anything to flush the crap out of the hose.
Only open one you need to dump. Black first and once drained grey. That is how I was told to do it and never an issue since doing it that way
sfbrabbitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #48

Leave black closed

Let me give you an experience. I lent my trailer to a friend who figured he should leave the black tank valve open. When I went back to get the trailer he told me there was something wrong with the toilet. When I looked in all I could see was poop. As they went to the bathroom a the liquid leaked out and the solids just clumped! It took me some work to clear it up so don’t leave black open.
As far as grey... just like everyone said it s a good way to clear your lines after you empty the black tank... the grey water just takes all that is left from the black tank cleaning out into the disposal pipes!!?
jacques1543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #49

Leaving Black water tank open!

Never leave Black water tank open. 1st off, the waste will clog your pipes over time and not break down. You need to keep it closed and treat with chemical's or digesters to break down the waste and paper. Gray water is usually ok to leave open since your sinks and shower have traps to keep odors out...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We simply turn the water supply off when we leave.
Great advice!

Always! Turn off pump switch, or water supply if hooked to city water before we ever leave trailer for any amount of time!
Captain Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #51

Fully agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Never leave Black tank valve open You can leave the grey- that’s your choice but usually close it sometime before you plan to dump them the black so you can use the grey after dumping the black to flush the line
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknees View Post
Wouldn’t turning the pump off before averted water running? I am just a newbie in the RV world so maybe I am really wrong.

Not if you are on full hookups with "city water" connected.... The pump has nothing to do with it, then...
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #53

Never leave them open - that's gross. I dump both every 1-2 days. It takes 1 minute and you're good for the day. Easy, effective and you always have a rinsed hose sitting.
Jasons RV Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #54

Leaving the valve open invites sewer alligators to climb up the hise and sewer gases to come up!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #55

Valve always closed until full even when parked at site with connection, liquid will flow solids not so much doing it this way will save you head ache in future also when closed use a drain lube makes a big difference Happy RVing
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennypatrv View Post
Valve always closed until full even when parked at site with connection, liquid will flow solids not so much doing it this way will save you head ache in future also when closed use a drain lube makes a big difference Happy RVing
Well said. DITTO, keep 'em closed. Anyone that leaves the poo gate open will sometime, someday experience many new smells and the concrete paper mound and the poo pyramid. Those folks always complain about black tank not working correctly. I say, take a lesion from your septic tank if you know about those... a wet properly hydrated septic keeps things flowing and digesting... let it dry out and you have poo & paper cement.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #57

Always leave the black tank valve closed and use your black tank chemicals as they not only deodorize but break down all the waste so it will flow and after it is flushed add the chemical to the empty tank and you will avoid problems.
grands24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #58
Just as confused as you

gordonsick & lesptr or anyone else interested, you could look here, RV Abbreviations, Acronyms & Initialisms : Common RV Abbreviations, Acronyms & Initialisms you may see in forum usage.
It does need a little updating as AAV (air admittance valve) is not on the list.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #59

Acronyms

Scrapper,
I have actually seen that list before.

However, my point is that it shouldn't be necessary to have such a list open to read what is in these Discussion Forums.

For a lot of users, this Discussion Forum is the first place they go to learn about RV things. They will just be put off and turned away, if they have to struggle through acronyms just to get basic knowledge.

When you have an editor looking over what you write (for a book, journal, newspaper, etc) the standard used by the editor is to have an acronym spelled out the first time it is used, and then used freely thereafter. If we do this, the reader just needs to go to the top of the post to see the meaning of a new acronym, or the first post (original post or OP) to find an acronym spelled out that is repeated in the post.

I'm just trying to make us all helpful to others when we write.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #60

When in RV Park - Tank Valves Open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Scrapper,

I have actually seen that list before.

However, my point is that it shouldn't be necessary to have such a list open to read what is in these Discussion Forums.

For a lot of users, this Discussion Forum is the first place they go to learn about RV things. They will just be put off and turned away, if they have to struggle through acronyms just to get basic knowledge.

When you have an editor looking over what you write (for a book, journal, newspaper, etc) the standard used by the editor is to have an acronym spelled out the first time it is used, and then used freely thereafter. If we do this, the reader just needs to go to the top of the post to see the meaning of a new acronym, or the first post (original post or OP) to find an acronym spelled out that is repeated in the post.

I'm just trying to make us all helpful to others when we write.

–Gordon

Well said.
Know your audience.

Tags
tank, valve