Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #1

Which new vehicle to flat tow: Jeep Grand Cherokee or F-150?

After 2 years since upgrading from a 5th wheel to a MH, my DW and I consolidated our three vehicles to two new ones before we retire next year. For the past two years we have used a 2016 Nissan Versa with manual transmission as our toad. Our MH is a 2022 Berkshire 40-D with a 10K Lb towing capacity. I wanted to learn how to flat tow without destroying an expensive vehicle. Now we are ready to tow one of our new vehicles. We plan on installing a base plate (about a $1500 cost) to one of the vehicles. We have a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit and a 2022 Ford F-150 King Ranch Hybrid. Both are 4wd and rated for flat towing. I know there are many of you who tow one of these vehicles. If this were your choice, which would you use as your toad and why? Also, let me know any challenges and problems when towing these vehicles. And, finally how do you release the steering wheel for towing. Do you have to leave the accessory on and drain the battery or is there a way to disengage the steering wheel lock. Thank you in advance for your input and advise.
RDupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDupre View Post
After 2 years since upgrading from a 5th wheel to a MH, my DW and I consolidated our three vehicles to two new ones before we retire next year. For the past two years we have used a 2016 Nissan Versa with manual transmission as our toad. Our MH is a 2022 Berkshire 40-D with a 10K Lb towing capacity. I wanted to learn how to flat tow without destroying an expensive vehicle. Now we are ready to tow one of our new vehicles. We plan on installing a base plate (about a $1500 cost) to one of the vehicles. We have a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit and a 2022 Ford F-150 King Ranch Hybrid. Both are 4wd and rated for flat towing. I know there are many of you who tow one of these vehicles. If this were your choice, which would you use as your toad and why? Also, let me know any challenges and problems when towing these vehicles. And, finally how do you release the steering wheel for towing. Do you have to leave the accessory on and drain the battery or is there a way to disengage the steering wheel lock. Thank you in advance for your input and advise.
Regarding the steering lock question, do your owner’s manuals for these vehicles describe the procedures to prepare the vehicles for recreational towing? I went online and glanced at a 2022 Ford F150 owner’s manual and there are sections on recreational towing. Would that be of any help, or have you already looked there?

I don’t think any of my vehicles even have steering locks. The one I tow does not.

As for which vehicle to tow, only you can decide. I would have zero use for a pickup truck as a toad while traveling, unless I needed it haul a motorcycle or something big in the bed.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:04 PM   #3

If you follow the instruction manual for flat towing the Jeep, it will explain how it all works. And, yes, the steering does unlock for towing.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:41 PM   #4

Just as a generalization here because I don’t have a MH or a toad, but what would the thinking be behind having the F150 as the toad? Unless you’re planning on hauling things while driving it (like firewood, or stuff that gets dirty, or big bulky things), it seems to me the bed is almost a moot point then, thus taking away valuable fully accessible covered space.

Me… I would go with the F150 just because I’d rather have a truck than an SUV, but as a practical standpoint, I think the Cherokee is better suited.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #5

We tow a 2016 Wrangler - no steering lock to deal with, so no concern about battery drain. Not sure if that applies to all Jeeps.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #6

Our Jeep is a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the Trail Rated 4 Wheel Drive System that has a transfer case. We put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny gets put in park. Again, the steering is not locked.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #7

I tow a 2016 Ram Laramie. It’s a piece of cake to flat tow. I have a bed cover and the bed comes in handy as extra cargo space for firewood, bicycles, propane grill or whatever.

Jeep and Ram make flat towing pretty easy.

I have the Air Force One supplemental braking system which is easy to hookup.

I strongly recommend the Jeep.

My Ram Laramie walks you through the steps to flat tow.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:54 PM   #8

I have a 2023 GC Overland. It tows well. Set the transmission in neutral, push the tow button with a pen. When the light goes out, the drive train is unlocked. Move the transmission to park, turn the engine off. No miles are recorded on the odometer.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:04 AM   #9

I tow a f150 raptor- its a bit large as a toad but I love the truck. I use the bed for mountain bikes- motorcycles- what ever.

Don't forget a breaking system for the toad- most states require it And it makes a big difference in stopping distance. (the f150 raptor is 6200 lbs)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:35 AM   #10

I like to fish and have a bed for firewood if needed. If I knew I could walk to water and bed wasn’t needed then the Jeep
Old 01-26-2023, 09:06 AM   #11

Toad

I have both a Wrangler and a Gladiator and I prefer the Gladiator. If I have wet items such as rugs, chairs or anything like that I just toss them in the bed and take care of them at the next stop, very handy! Also firewood and anything dirty goes in the bed!

2019 Berkshire XL 40D
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep, tow