Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #41

We have a 2011 390RB-60 and we too wrestled with the DEF filling at first, then the light came on. For approximately $25 I purchased a Flo-N-Go syphon and filling the DEF is a one person job. Once the access panel is raised the 2 1/2 gal container will sit on the panel near the hinge, protecting the paint finish with a towel, a couple of squeezes on the priming handle and the DEF flows without spills.

WIth a full DEF tank we were able to drive from Calgary to Ottawa wich is about 2500 miles on 3/4 tank of DEF. One thing to consider purchase your DEF in the USA, it is considerably less expensive than in Canada. We always leave the USA with a full tank of DEF plus a spare container, this will do us until we return to the USA.

Name:   FLo-N-Go.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  7.0 KB

Happy RVing

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
Another rat in the race

I know its way off topic and gassers have all kinds of regulations for smog. But I get a kick out of you diesel guys having to add muffler fluid.

And on a humorous note if you run out of DEF and the engine shuts off can you just drink a bunch of water and then be back on the road in about 20 minutes.

Sorry couldn't resist after all it is Friday
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
I know its way off topic and gassers have all kinds of regulations for smog. But I get a kick out of you diesel guys having to add muffler fluid.

And on a humorous note if you run out of DEF and the engine shuts off can you just drink a bunch of water and then be back on the road in about 20 minutes.

That was pretty funny!
Muffler Fluid!!

Might even have Muffler Bearings!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post

YES everyone with a diesel thinks its a big scam to make believe that diesels will run cleaner. That is the main reason I didn't buy a diesel.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #45

Have not had a chance to try it out yet, but, I just purchased a small hand pump at the local Flying J truckstop. Cost was only $15 so not a huge deal if it turns out not to work.

My previous solution was a small plastic funnel with a long section of clear plastic hose attatched. This solution worked once I arrived a the right length of hose. It is a bit messy and is still a two person job.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #46

I went to Lowes and purchased a clear plastic hose to attached to the spout of the DEF container and it allows me to pour the fluid into the tank by lifting the jug above the compartment door.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #47

I purchased an electric pump for about $15 and a 2.5 gallon diesel fuel jug and now have zero issues with DEF.

Set the full jug on the ground, insert the pump into the container and the nozzle into the DEF tank and turn on the pump. Takes about 60 sec to pump the 2.5 gallons into the DEF tank.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #48

Marc is the pump you bought a 12v or 120. I have a 12 v I use for water transfer but of course the battery is on the wrong side.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #49

Phil, it's battery operated. Takes 2 D cells

Here's the link to the site I purchased it from.

Amazon.com: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684: Home Improvement
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #50

Thanks Marc that looks like it would make the job much easer. Have a great Christmas.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Phil, it's battery operated. Takes 2 D cells

Here's the link to the site I purchased it from.

Amazon.com: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684: Home Improvement
$15 for the pump, how many fill ups do you plan to get before it gets crusted up from dried DEF? I would personally stick to buying in boxes.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #52

The problem with the box is it 2.5 gal. and the spout will not fit under the door to tip it and pour from the box. What I do is transfer into one gal water jugs and mark them DEF. I can then pour right from the jug. It's just a little hassle but not that big a deal. The pump would just need to be rinsed and flushed and it would last a long time. For 15 dollars I will give it a try.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
$15 for the pump, how many fill ups do you plan to get before it gets crusted up from dried DEF? I would personally stick to buying in boxes.
After filling DEF tank with pump I then purge pump by pumping about a gallon of water through the pump.

I just fill the kitchen sink with water and pump it from one side to the other. No issue crusting up so far and any water in the pump after purging evaporates before I use it again.