Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Window Awning

We have been camping off and on for the last month and have been in some areas that the temps have hit close to 100 and the MH just won't cool off. I know this has been discussed lately and I do have the two 13.5 A/C units. I am looking for ways to help cool with out making changes to the units as I have no desire to head for the south in the summer. I hope to avoid the high temps by heading north. We are camping at a CG that only offers 30 amp and the temps hit 95 yesterday. We ran the gen in the afternoon and got through ok but it got me looking for ways to keep things cooler. I know there is a pigtail you can use to plug in and use the 30 amp service next to us that is being used by a tent and they are not using. That is probably not as honest as I would like to be but I could always use it in a pinch as long as I talked to the owner of the CG first.
The other thing I thought I would try is window awnings I have a Berkshire 390RB and would use them on three windows. Has anyone added these and what is the gain in cooling. Looks like the cost is around around 1000.00

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Had covers made that block out the sun. I made the alum. brackets that hold the conduit/covers. The conduit is in 2 pcs for the top & bottom as I didn't want to put the brackets into the fiberglass sides and for storage reasons. They are mounted into the alum tubes on the slide. Besides, it only took 6 brackets instead of 8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun shield on slideout (rear).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	16540  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Dunnic those are nice. Do they Open or are they shades? I know This may be silly but as I was packing to head home I wondered if when it was hot keeping the basement doors open would keep the living room in the coach cooler.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1021303.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	16546  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Dunnic those are nice. Do they Open or are they shades? I know This may be silly but as I was packing to head home I wondered if when it was hot keeping the basement doors open would keep the living room in the coach cooler.
They do not open, was just too lazy and cheap to put awnings on. Besides that, the material was free, so this one and the one for the back of our old 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS only cost us $20 total for sewing the hems and $6 for the conduit. Plus about 4 hrs making the brackets.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57
Not to hijack this tread but you don't have enough crap stored in your bays like me :-).
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #6

I think I need to do more shopping to fill them up. Every time the UPS truck comes down the street I get that now what did you buy look.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
We have been camping off and on for the last month and have been in some areas that the temps have hit close to 100 and the ................................ I know there is a pigtail you can use to plug in and use the 30 amp service next to us that is being used by a tent and they are not using. The other thing I thought I would try is window awnings I have a Berkshire 390RB and would use them on three windows. Has anyone added these and what is the gain in cooling. Looks like the cost is around around 1000.00
I have not seen adapters that would allow two different 30amp sources to be combined to one 50amp. I did install awnings because of the hot temps this year. Wish I had hard numbers for you, but I can say that the awnings made us "feel" cooler anyway..! I purchased mine from CW and did the install myself. Here is the link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ngs-25596.html
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd
I have not seen adapters that would allow two different 30amp sources to be combined to one 50amp. I did install awnings because of the hot temps this year. Wish I had hard numbers for you, but I can say that the awnings made us "feel" cooler anyway..! I purchased mine from CW and did the install myself. Here is the link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ngs-25596.html
Wasn't there a post a week ago or so about this adapter?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

JD the awnings look great. I think I will shop around and get a set. I had thought of doing each wind on the driver side slide out but like the look of the one piece. What brand did you get and how hard is it to find something to attach them is there a frame around the window that will hold the brackets to or do you need special screw.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
JD the awnings look great. I think I will shop around and get a set. I had thought of doing each wind on the driver side slide out but like the look of the one piece. What brand did you get and how hard is it to find something to attach them is there a frame around the window that will hold the brackets to or do you need special screw.
Pretty sure the brand is Dometic. Finding the right length in a stock size can be an issue. Custom lengths are expensive. The awnings came with all the hardware and screws needed. The filon exterior of motorhomes is generally considered adequate to install the screws. Use extreme care to not over-tighten. Sealer is used at every screw and along the entire length of the aluminum channel. The smaller screws for the aluminum track above the window were self drilling. The larger screws, used for the arm brackets and the hold-down strap brackets, were predrilled. There are a few videos on Youtube that will help you get going.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #11

I'm going to the FMCA Indy rally I heard the can be purchased there and they will install them there that week. Of so that would be nice I would like to see them and
Having them installed would save my neck from the stress of doing it myself.

Tags
awning