Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Windshield wipers stopped in the vertical position

HELP
We’re traveling today and the windshield wipers were working fine. I pressed the toggle up to increase the speed and they stopped in the vertical position and will not work
Anyone know what could be going on?
Thanks
Stephen
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Firstly, I’m completely unqualified from a model-specific knowledge standpoint, but generally speaking I would look at the breaker/fuse that handles the wipers, then the switch, then the wiring itself. The first one should be easy, the other two not so much. Good luck.
Gloryhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Thanks
Checked the fuses, both were fine. I opened the gen bay to access the wiper motor and it was super hot! I unplugged the motor for now. Seems like the motor may have burnt up or over heated.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Its a little concerning that the motor got so hot so as to shut down without blowing the fuse. Were you running the gen?
Gloryhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Its the wiper motor
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Wipers work on a cam mechanism. The motor itself just rotates, but it is connected to a mechanism that acts like a crankshaft - back and forth as it goes around.

Sometimes that mechanism can physically break or get jammed. I think that's what happened to yours. Can you physically move the wipers?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

yes, it's either the fuse, or the motor.

I had this happen before, while driving and it's raining of course!... the 5amp fuse was blown. Stuck in a replacement, and nope, immediately blew. Decided to stick in the only other one I had, a 10amp, and it's worked perfectly ever since... 50,000 miles! go figure.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #8

I finally figured it out!
The motor is fine, it’s the bushings that attach to the arm mechanism inside the gen bay. The bushings are bad causing the mechanism that attaches to the motor to lean forward and catches on a bolt head on the mounting bracket. Spoke to Andy at FR and have the bushings in the way!