Old 03-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #1

Winter camping / Driving

So if things go better today- I'm driving to SC to buy a 2012 390bh. Was going to fly down from NJ but all flights were canceled Thursday due to high winds.
Plan to check it over - buy on sat then drive 1/2 home on sat- then finish up Sunday morning.

So here is the question. With the camper wet from doing the inspection and the 20 degree low predicted-Sat to Sunday morning, should I be concerned about any thing freezing?

I figured to play it save I would put some antifreeze in the holding tanks- but one of my concerns was the instant water heater. Do they have freeze protection?
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

I would at least try to drain down the camper, blow the lines and get some antifreeze in the tanks. Are you buying from a dealer or private owner? Blowing the lines usually only takes me a few minutes.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #3

from a small dealer- no mechanic on staff. I'll be staying in it over night so heat will be on all night, but because I'm in it I would like the bath room.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
from a small dealer- no mechanic on staff. I'll be staying in it over night so heat will be on all night, but because I'm in it I would like the bath room.

I would winterized it then use bottled water for toilet then just dump anti freeze in black tank. Less chance for lines to freeze. The small amount in black tank with antifreeze won't do anything to black tank. Just my opinion.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Hang on! You bought a Berkshire?

It should have heated holding tanks. So as long as you have your furnace on you should be good to go even while driving. When you stop on your overnight are you going to have hookups? Even if you don't you should be able to run the furnace overnight on battery power unless they are bad.

I have a Concord (Class C) I don't have the enclosed tanks, but it does have 12 volt tank heaters. I can use them while driving or plugged up. We camp in below freezing weather all the time. We just leave the furnace on to keep the inside stuff from freezing up.

If you have the chance drain the gry and black tanks before you leave the dealer, then dump a gallon of anti-freeze in each holding tank before you roll. That will keep your valves from freezing up. Though on the Berkshire I believe they may be protected too.

Aaron

Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

With my 5th wheel, below freezing temps at night were not a problem at all. Furnace keeps basement nice and warm.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

dave-g, I have a 2012 Berkshire 390BH also. Can you please look up my PM (Private Message) that I sent you.

Go to "User CP" on the top bar of the page and look up "Private Messages"

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hank
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

dave-g

Please have a safe trip to purchase your Berkshire.

Also, please insert your own inspect items in addition to the Dealer's during the PDI. Operate everything. You are in the driver's seat until you sign; remember that.

Good Luck and when you get a chance, read my PM.

Hank
Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

We took a trip over Christmas in our 2015 Charleston. Temps got down in the single digits at night. Made sure all basement doors were closed, turned on tank heaters, and furnace and heat pumps kept coach nice and warm. Using a heated water hose, and had no trouble with things freezing.

I would find out about the specifics of the tankless heater used in your coach. The one in mine monitors the temperature in the water heater core, and will run the heater when needed (even with no water flowing) to keep the core well above freezing. As long as it doesn't run out of propane and the 12V power is on, it will not freeze. But, call the seller, have them find the make and model of your water heater, and find the manuals online. Should also be a phone number for the manufacturer on the heater if you just want to give them a call.

Travel safe!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

Well the deal went through and I'm the owner of a previous loved 2012 390bh. Spent about 3 1/2 hours checking over- had a rv mechanic fix a few things before I handed over the money and started the drive from SC to NJ.

Put about 5-6 hours of driving in and stayed the night at a koa VA.

It dropped to 16 degrees over night , I left the heat at 67 and the tank heater on and had no frozen pipes! In the morning got off to and early start and made it bad to NJ by 3:00.

Very good 1st 2 days.

When I got home the bed slide would not go out. If I push the button for in- I hear the motor try to run- but if I push the button for out- I hear nothing. I'll have to do some checking on Monday. I guess the motor is under the bed.

If any one has some insight on the bed slide I'm all ears.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Dave
Glad to hear everything was to your liking. I believe there are 2 relays on the bed slide. If you hold the button in too long you might have blown out the relay. Once the slide is in Stop. Do not try to give it the extra push. It puts added strain on the rack and pinion drive system.
Good luck and many smooth miles ahead for you.
Marty
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #12

Where are the relays?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #13

I think they are either in the panel outside to the front but not 100% sure.
It is tough to get at the motor beneath the bed with the slide in. There is a wood cover on the box that is the access to the motor. The relays might also be in there. Sorry to hear you are having this problem.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #14

I can guarantee you the problem is this - under the bed you will find the motor that drives the gears that power the slide in and out.... I'm almost 100% sure you will find that the gear on the motor shaft has slipped and is not engaging with the gear on the slide. If they don't engage, motor will run and gears will turn but NOTHING will happen !!!!

You need to get under the be, slide the two gears back together and the tighten the bolt holding the motor gear in place... (I put Loctite on mine) Problem solved !!!!

ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS !!!!! LOL !!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

Glad to hear you made the trip successfully!

Now the REAL ownership fun begins.

Sorry no help on the slides, I am not familiar with what Berkshire uses. If you have nothing happening, no sound, no movement, no nothing I would suspect a relay. Could be something as simple as a loose or slightly corroded connection.

Aaron

Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #16

dave-g: The major problem with the rear bed slide which many have had, is that the four bolts holding the motor and gear housing up against the bed's rack gear, loosens, drops down and disengages the motor gear to rack. If you have this, you will hear a chattering and slight or no movement of the bed.

My theory why this happens is that the motor cantilevers out with no support. This may be good for static operation, but traveling down the road a high speed with constant road bumps, makes the motor try to go up and down like a pry bar on the bolts (a bad design). This loosens the threads and the bolts start to spin out. Adding to the problem is that the bolts are in soft aluminum or pot metal gear housing. Tighten up too much on the bolts and the threads are stripped. I blocked the motor up from the floor using a wood block. I have previously posted on this problem with pictures. Silver did a post support to the motor.

Another problem which I recently had is that the push button switch was erratic. Sometimes it would work in, but not out. After removing the switch panel, I just wiggled the wires to it and the bed worked. I have been good with this and thinking a new switch some day.

Hank
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #17

dave-: Here is a post on the bed slide problem:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-51205.html

Hank
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #18

dave-g:
Here is a post (see #20) showing the block of wood that I supported the bed's motor and gear housing.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d-88290-2.html

Prior to putting the wood block in, I tightened the blots many times and used blue Loctite. Bolts kept loosing. After the wood block and a couple years; no problem.
Hank
Old 03-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #19

I-RV....

Your link goes to "OK - I'm here"... Nothing abt your block of wood....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #20

ernest -

I tried both links and they works for me. As I said for the second link, go to post #20.

Hank

Tags
camping, winter