Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Work done at the rally

I am continuously amazed by the work FR does here at the rally.
What these guys accomplish in one hour, compares to leaving your coach at a dealer for a month, and it probably still will not be done right.

This really shines a light on how bad many (if not most) of the dealerships/service centers are.
It re-enforces my conviction to never take it in and do whatever I can by myself.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

Amen on doing it yourself!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Amen on doing it yourself!!!!!!

But be careful to not fall off ladder while doing it yourself !!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
What these guys accomplish in one hour, compares to leaving your coach at a dealer for a month, and it probably still will not be done right.

This really shines a light on how bad many (if not most) of the dealerships/service centers are.
It re-enforces my conviction to never take it in and do whatever I can by myself.
Ain't they sumpin'????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Keep in mind that the guys working on your rig are factory trained techs and it is my guess paid better then the average RV tech at a dealership who's only training is on the job training. There are good techs a some dealerships and some not so good. JMHO (I do most of my own work)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Also keep in mind that these guys are working on basically the same type equipment all day. Maybe have 2, 3, or even 6 models, but.......e.g., they are all the same water heater, all the same axles, all the same door types, all the same curtain rods, etc. A dealer is carrying a zillion models.........

E.G., our CC techs don't know what a bumper pull is. They don't deal with Motorhomes. That's why they kick out 13 a day, and that's why they don't have to retool, rethink, or redo from one to the next like a dealer.

Not sure how the rest of the country is, but I'm seeing more and more independent RV repair shops. I'd think that would be a great business to start up right now, if you are not as lazy as I am!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

I'm impressed with the diesel division's desire to make it right and at no cost!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

We weren't able to make the rally due to other schedules, but wish we were able to have made it!

We're currently up at Bay City Michigan, traveling through the great state of Michigan and when we were setting up on Saturday, one of the bedroom slides wouldn't move. It made a lot of clunking sounds, but no movement. To keep the story short, between Berkshire Warranty service rep & a local Forest River dealer (who is not a Berkshire Dealer), the dealer's mobile tech came out on Tuesday & confirmed that it was the slide's gearbox. Had to order the gearbox & hope it will be in tomorrow (Thursday) to be installed on Friday?!?! Anyway, the well seasoned tech said that he has only replaced one slide gearbox in years as a tech!

So, as stated, if we were at the rally, this problem would have been completed in no time. But now, it will take at least a week.
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD Little Rock, Arkansas
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

We had a short list of repairs and the workers swarmed all over and repared my list in no time and were polite and did everything well. I plan on leaving a good tip in the tip jar @ repairs building.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Norsnrub.. Is the building you're talking about the AG building where we went after registration to arrange & sign the service papers??
I've been trying to find it to contribute to the party....the FR techs (and the ones from the mfrs.) have been simply amazing...not just fixing what we asked...but in finding and fixing other stuff and being really nice about all of it.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

I believe the place to leave a tip is the build in we signed up for services. If not they will know.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

So how did you go about scheduling repair just pull up or months in advance?
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSnrub View Post
I believe the place to leave a tip is the build in we signed up for services. If not they will know.
TKS...You were right...it is in the AG building right at the desk as you walk in...they also have a box where you can leave comments.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Just a general question. I have a dometic fridge that has an issue. My dealer is over 3 hours away. Can any dealer do warranty work on certain items,such as the fridge? Basically I just need a new switch (circuit board) and cover because the two do not line when you press the button.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
So how did you go about scheduling repair just pull up or months in advance?
I assume you are talking about work done at the Rally.
When you register and pay for the rally in April...you are directed to a service request sheet where you may list 3 things that are broken and need fixing on your unit. That sheet must be turned in by July 1st to allow time for review and planning out the logistics of the show. You may get a followup note or call if something needs clarifying. Otherwise, once you check into the show you are assigned to a specific space which you take to the service hut and they will give you a service worksheet to attach to your windshield. Monday morning the techs swarm the grounds and start fixing stuff till the work is done several days later. It is a sight to behold!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Just a general question. I have a dometic fridge that has an issue. My dealer is over 3 hours away. Can any dealer do warranty work on certain items,such as the fridge? Basically I just need a new switch (circuit board) and cover because the two do not line when you press the button.
Many can ...some can't...here's a link to authorized DOMETIC repair stations:
Service Locator
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post

Make sure you go to the Service Bldg before you leave the rally to put some money in the tip bucket they have there for all the service people. They do a lot of hard work for everyone.
thehamrtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamrtime View Post
Make sure you go to the Service Bldg before you leave the rally to put some money in the tip bucket they have there for all the service people. They do a lot of hard work for everyone.
This was my first rally and I was unaware of the"tip bucket". I certainly would have left them something as they not only fixed everything on my list but found by refrigerator drain hose routed back into the compartment and fixed that. Then I asked if they had a ballpark estimate on a couple of things I wanted to purchase and install and when I returned, it was all taken care of.

If there is a way to send a payment to someone, please let me know. Next year I'll be aware of the "tip bucket".
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #19

So I've never been to a rally, and never needed repairs on my unit yet, but what i don't understand is, after reading post after post of people complaining about poor workmanship from FR coming from the factory, how is it that these guys (the same guys, right?) do such an excellent job at Goshen? Maybe its the tips?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
Site Team

Work done at the rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
So I've never been to a rally, and never needed repairs on my unit yet, but what i don't understand is, after reading post after post of people complaining about poor workmanship from FR coming from the factory, how is it that these guys (the same guys, right?) do such an excellent job at Goshen? Maybe its the tips?
The guys who worked in my Wildcat were not from the manufacturing plant; they were from a Wildcat service shop. Big difference.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote