Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Yellowstone

All preparing for our (first) trip to Yellowstone, from KCMO. For those that have been, do you recommend driving through Yellowstone? My rig (38a bh) will be pulling a f150. My gut suggests no. The direct route would have us coming up through Tetons then the south entrance.

Thinking the South Dakota approach is best.

Btw, earlier this year we replaced the Atwood tankless with the truma. Highly recommend!
jasonBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonBuck View Post
All preparing for our (first) trip to Yellowstone, from KCMO. For those that have been, do you recommend driving through Yellowstone? My rig (38a bh) will be pulling a f150. My gut suggests no. The direct route would have us coming up through Tetons then the south entrance.

Btw, earlier this year we replaced the Atwood tankless with the truma. Highly recommend!
I hope you have reservations because your combined size is big. I called to make sure on my 50ft and reserved months in advance. They are friendly if you call and give good details. Doable without reservations but means for early days waiting in line. Lots of places outside west Yellowstone that may be better for you. Read this link if you have not already.
https://www.yellowstonepark.com/wher...mp-eat/rv-tips

Just completed this trip last week from KC. I pull a 26rlws TT with my 16 F150 so my experience will be a bit different. Sorry cannot provide specifics for your rig but can give my experience on the roads. Everyone's comfort level is a bit different but the link above is a good refrence.

We went in and out via the east entrance of Yellowstone and had no issues.
You will get to about 8800ft coming from the south side a few times as there are a few passes.
East side you get to 8500ish ft pass.
West entrance is very easy as well and don't recall any passes. I also did not tow through tetons but it looked feasible without too much difficulty if you stay on the highways. The speeds are low enough that it did not tend to be an issue in the park as long as you know how to drive the mountains and are in low gear. That and paved pull outs make it more comfortable to allow others to pass.

For the northern loop it is under construction on the west side with 20min delays. It is paved but rough and there is a pilot car. Bumpy but doable maybe safer than the east side of the northern loop. The east side has some narrow points without guard rails it is still doable but a bit more nail biting maybe more so for you than it was for me.
I would keep away from the NE entrance (beartooth highway) as lots of switchbacks and steep grades. Stick to the truck only here.
The north entrance is good with some minor steep grades by mammoth that you would need low gear for. Tight maybe but feasible. Based on your length if you stay in the park this may be your only option but maybe not.
Fishing bridge and the east entrance is under construction as well. It takes more time but lots of RVs there. Roads a stripped to gravel only.

Happy to share a lot more info on the trip. Let me know what questions you have.

Out east of the park I would suggest going around bighorn mountains like it says on 90 (avoid 14 or 16) east of Yellowstone if you don't like large grades and with your weights. I did not. I knew better but tried it anyway because DW wanted to go that way for the view. If I had a toad I would have let her drive it on her own and gone the other way. WY16 has about 12 miles of construction where the road is not paved at the top of the mountains and you are limited to 10-15mph with 20-30min delays to even drive it. The 8% grade down should be taken at about 25-30mph and takes 45min to an hour as well and turn outs are all gravel which is why I suggest 90. There were a few motorhomes (no toads) up there so it is doable but I would not do it again knowing what I know now with my setup.

I highly suggest using rvtripwizard as they have a great tool for looking at the grades if that is a concern for you like it was me. It requires a subscription but well worth it between park reviews POIs for fuel etc and drive planning. It won't help on the trip in the park where there is no coverage so print everything out and plan accordingly.

A few additional notes.
I filled propane before I left but had issues in the park with the tanks freezing up at altitude using the furnace. My advice is have a tank empty and fill it up once you get there to prevent problems as there is too much butane in the mix here. We needed heat at night.
If using a generator because of lack of hook ups you may have to rejet it. Some gensets just have a switch so hope you are lucky there. Just remember to switch it back after you descend.
Fishing bridge sewer hook ups are about a foot off the ground. That is the only full hookup CG so investigate fully.
Spaces are tight. I could not fit truck (20ft) and trailer(30ft) in my spot without being in the road a bit even unhooked and overlapped. The neighbors trailer was 18inches away from my slide and back. The rangers assign spot based on total length so that is a benefit.

Cody is beautiful. Highly reccamend buffalo bill state park for a few nights as well as I think it was nicer than Yellowstone.

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

Better check for the fires and closures at the park that is in the news.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Better check for the fires and closures at the park that is in the news.

Yellowstone, not Yosemite. [emoji51]
Old 07-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

My bad. :-)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Was just there a few weeks ago and stayed at Bridge Bay and Madison campground. No issue driving through the park to the campgrounds. If you are planning to stop at sites inside the park while towing it is doable but very limited parking options. I parked on the side of the road heading to Old Faithful as lot was full. Got lucky at another site while heading out of park on way to tetons. Be prepared for unlevel sites at all parks inside.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Yellowstone is having fires as well, though thank goodness not anywhere to the extent of California. You can see at least one from the highway but it is not causing any problems. They’re quite good at keeping people informed there if there is a developing problem so just pay attention. You’ll have a great trip.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

from KCMO, the best way in through CODY. get to casper, take 20/26 to up through Thermopolis to cody and then to Yellowstone

If you don't have reservations though, you are have a big issue. You can drive your rig through the Park fairly easily, but one hairpin curve near Mt Washburn will be less than fun
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonBuck View Post

If the South Dakota route you’re talking about includes driving on hwy 16 from Buffalo, WY to Worland, WY then I would suggest a different route.

Personally I like the south route from Interstate 80 and going up from Rawlins through Lander and then through the Tetons but that’s just me. Another route to consider is I-80 to I-25 to Casper and then hwy 20/120 thru Thermopolis and up to Cody where you can connect to hwy 14 and go into the east entrance.

Highway 16 and highway 14 from I-90 is a big no-no for me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

We were just there in Yellowstone last month and I pulled our 5th wheel from the east entrance on out the south entrance with no problems at all.
Do you have reservations at any campgrounds around Yellowstone?
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #11

Thanks for all the intel! I’ve had reservations for quite some time. Looking forward to escaping the city life!

Best,
Jb
jasonBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #12

We are making our first FALL trip to Yellowstone next month and are sooo looking forward to it. We've been there 8 times previously, but always in the summer..... Have reservations at Flagg Ranch (which we like to use as out base for going into the park) and also plan on at least a week in Gros Ventre CG just north of Jackson....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote