Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Yes, another "Is the extended warranty needed" thread.

I've looked at several older threads about the value of buying an extended warranty. But because they are older, I can not respond to those (or at least it says I can not). So looking for any feedback or thoughts from those with a lot more experience than I.

Curious as to what you did or end up purchasing an extended warranty. I'm picking mine up on Saturday and not sure what I am going to do. Since we will only travel less than 3-4k miles a year for the foreseeable future, I'm reluctant to lay out the cash. Or consider outright purchase as that seems to be the most bang for the buck. One thing I would like is Tire coverage... But since we will be flat towing, we will have a vehicle, if needed.

I know insurance = peace of mind. If I did it, more than likely do the 7 year... All depending on final negotiated price and what all the warranty does not cover...

Thoughts or feedback?
JimNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Bought our Forest River Georgetown 374 in 2008 with extended warranty......have used it for hydraulic pump replacement, step motor replacement, awning motor replacement, slide repairs, front a/c replacement.....excellent service and no hassle...worth every penny to date...also full shower pan replacement!
George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

So I assume you bought the 7 year plan, is that correct? We plan on going to the FROG Rally in Goshen every year, and this is where we can also get a lot of problems/issues done with little or no cost.

Having the warranty would mean we could get issues resolved quicker... Again, that peace of mind thing...

Thanks for the response ynott96.
JimNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Jim I did buy a seven year plan and have not used it as yet. I'm 2.5 years into it. The original price they quoted was around sis thousand. No way I ended up with the premium coverage and paid around 2500$. The dealer makes a load if cash on the plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

The plans are well worth it if you have to use them. Shop around for rates and negotiate the prices. You have one full year of full coverage from FR, so you actually have a year to shop for the best deal.

The sooner you get a plan the cheaper it will be because of the one year FR warranty. Your engine and tranny have their own warranties also, keep that in mind.

I was just quoted $4300 from Wholesale Warranties, I am waiting on a quote from Good Sams just to compare prices.

I do recommend Good Sam's Roadside, this covers towing and mobile techs. You should have a free year from Coach Net once you purchase your MH.

Lots to consider.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #6

Be sure to read the small print as well as ever ting between the lines.

I can not speak directly to the RV extended warranties but I did buy a plan on my Corvette. When it can time to make a claim ... I found out very quickly that their idea of comprehensive and their were two very different things. I learned that unless that item was specifically mentioned, it was excluded.from warranty.

I am normally a person that never takes any type of.extended warranty but due to some personal situations at the time I changed.my mind. IN MY Case it was 1500 down the tube.

My advise is read carefully and asks lots questions.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

I have a warranty and glad I do. I've had several problems that's been fixed and have saved more then the cost of the warranty. With my warranty the deductible isn.t always what you pay,. My warranty people always find a way to have me pay more then my deductible. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Im looking to see if anyone has the number to Cornerstone. It seems they have some of the better reviews from what I have read so far. I have a couple of quotes so far and they are far cheaper than the dealer.
jimtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #9

From what I have read on this forum it sounds like you do. The sad thing is that quailty is so bad you have to "purchas a warranty" to protect yourself. This is ultumaltley the manufactures fault but it gets down to the the american worker just sucks anymore. They just don't care what kind of work they do and there is no excuse for the poor wormanship in these RVs. Think about that the next time you fly.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

I agree. It sounds like the $150 is well spent for another full year of warranty.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #11

Number is - (866) 327-6044.... Good luck....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #12

Cornerstone #

Ernest Thank you I called but they don't sale to the public so I'll have to either use a dealer. (Pricy) or go with a company who does.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Jimtum....

Check with Lazydays in Tampa and see if you can get it through them.... That's where I got mine BUT I got it when I bought my coach from them... Worth a phone call I'd think....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #14

$150

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I agree. It sounds like the $150 is well spent for another full year of warranty.
Didn't realize another year is available for $150. How do I get this? Thanks
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

Extended Warranty

Well I got it through the dealer but actually got it for $1,900.00 which was much better than they originally quoted. They said they had left over money from the show they just did. Everyone else was $1,700.00 so I thought for $200.00 more what the heck. Thanks for all your help guys

Tags
warranty