Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #1

12 V refrigerator GE

Just bought a new PALOMINO SOLAIRE 294DBHS with a GE 12 V refrigerator I do a lot of Boondocking looking for advice how to keep this running why I’m Boondocking The trailer came with a regular deep cell RV group 24 battery doesn’t seem to be keeping the refrigerator running and advice would help thanks
Mike3298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Mike, welcome to the forum, I see you have 2 posts!

The question you have asked has been an often discussed topic in the last year or so.
12v compressor refrigerators are a relatively new thing in recent R/Vs.

Consequently, lots of folks have the same issues/concerns you do.
A single group 24 FLA (flooded lead acid) battery simply isn't enough battery bank for a 12v compressor refrigerator.
Many have switched to 6v golf cart batteries in series, paralleling 12v batteries (both FLA and LifePo-lithium) and added a solar system.

If you do a lot of boondocking, you are going to need to do some homework as to what YOUR 12v current needs are and then plan accordingly.

As I mentioned, there is a lot of recent discussion on this topic on this (and other) R/V forums so do a search and see if those that have gone before you have any information that can apply to your needs.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #3

This thread of mine might interest you:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-236327.html

It reviews my experience with the GE 12V fridge in testing and real world use.

My most recent boondocking trip is not reported there. That was to Shenandoah National Park in early May. SNP allows generators only from 8A to 10A, and 4P to 7P. That was more than enough time to top off my single 100 Ah lithium battery each day. The highest overnight (from 7P to 9A the next day) current draw was 45 Ah -- more than enough for the battery to handle. That was on a night chilly enough to run the furnace periodically. But the bulk of that juice was to run the fridge.

For someone like you who boondocks a lot, you'll need a generator (and a campsite site that allows it). Or a solar array with enough power, and a battery bank to store it, to meet whatever your overall power needs will be.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #4

I was thinking two 6v golf cart batteries that would give me 12v and 215 amp hours and I have a 265 W solar panel that I can hook up to the batteries to charge them what’s your thoughts. Thanks
Mike3298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3298 View Post
I was thinking two 6v golf cart batteries that would give me 12v and 215 amp hours and I have a 265 W solar panel that I can hook up to the batteries to charge them what’s your thoughts. Thanks
That sounds like a good start, but impossible to know for sure unless you know your total power usage (fridge and all other items) and your re-charging capability. If you are counting on solar, what happens when it is cloudy, or your campsite is shaded? I had a similar set up and could camp for up to a week at a time without running the generator, but I had a propane refrig and was very frugal with power usage. I'd recommend a generator even if it is only used in "emergencies". I know our camping trip would have to come to an end of our refrigerator stopped working.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
Site Team

The group 24 batteries provided with most RVs is not a true deep cycle battery, but rather a dual purpose marine battery, therefore your idea of two 6V GC batteries is on the right track. Charging with the solar panel and a good controller should work fine unless you have a long string of cloudy/rainy days.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #7

Sounds like you need more battery and a way to recharge that battery. Choices for charging when boondocking are going to be generator or solar.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

A great start.

if you never stay out long.

Never in campgrounds with trees.

Never in rainy weather.

Never use the furnace.

Never use an inverter.

GC2 batteries give about 110 amps of usable 12 volt. That is less than 11 amps ac for an hour! Just for reference.

The weak link is batteries. The reason the conversion to an all electric world will not be successful for many years is the electricity storage issue.

The most popular car in the US was the electric car at the turn of the century. However the issue that ruined that was the storage of electricity.

In 100 plus years electricity storage has improved about 150-200%

Depends a lot on where you live and play.

Out west a small rv can be ok with two gc2 batteries and a 400 watt solar panel most of the time. Not many trees. No rain. Not much furnace. No inverter.

We have a gas electric fridge, a Honda 2200, and 4 GC2 batteries. I charge daily for two hours. Everything is peachy in the midwest. We can go two days in the right conditions. We run the Honda 2 hours a day. The DW uses the convection oven. I watch the nightly news. We are glamping, not roughing it.

However, here in the midwest air conditioning is a must. Batteries will not help there.

THe key is be realistic on what you want to do and spend accordingly.

Your first step is a battery monitor. You have a lot to learn.

Then I will one day buy a 400 amp hour dc lithium battery. For us solar is necessary on western trips. But, we would need a minimum of 800 watts, about 200 amps. The roof of our fiver is big enough. That gives us the ability to go a day with no sun. We typically use 100 amps dc per day.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #9

I have a GE 12v fridge and its able to stay running 24/7 with 2x 100AH lithium batteries and 2x GoPower stock panels. I think they are 190W panels. Deepest discharge the Victron shunt reported is 87AH. These numbers came after returning from a recent trip and it was left parked in front of the house. Nothing else was used during this time other than the fridge running on battery. Also in California, lots of sun and no clouds. Batteries were topped off before sun down.

Just my recent observation and didn't dig any deeper on the numbers
beatstanfurd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator